Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcuksake

Not a great day for Armagh harps or Charlie Vernon.

Charlie was rushed to the Royal after a suspected broken jaw during the Armagh V Dublin game.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fcuksake on May 03, 2009, 05:32:10 PM

Charlie was rushed to the Royal after a suspected broken jaw during the Armagh V Dublin game.

For f**k's sake  >:( :(. Huge blow for Armagh.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

Went to the game, had hardly left the ground when I heard about the seriousness of Vernon's injury, f**king disaster on club and county front >:(  He's had no luck against the Dubs, it was last year at the opening of the Cullyhanna pitch that he broke a bone in his foot.  Couldn't say it was malicious, just a hospital pass that Charlie went for and the FB was entitled to go for, a shoulder down the front of  Vernon's body.

The game itself was decent, if not v competitive. Armagh played some excellent football in the first half, but were in double figures for wides by half time.  Stevie McDonnell looked razor sharp, must have scored 0-6.  The second half was a bit of a let down as nearly the entire 15 were replaced, letting the Dubs back into it, if we had've kept the starting 15 we would have won pulling up I'd imagine.  Paul Duffy playing at N12 had a blinder and could very well have put himself in the shake up for the champ.  I got the impression that Stephen Kernan played like he'd something to prove, but it didn't really go for him today.

Cant remember who did all the scoring: Stevie bout 0-6, Ryan Henderson, 0-2, D McKenna 0-1, think Vernon got the goal (although it was a Henderson effort that would have crossed the line), Brian Mallon 0-1, MOR 0-1, Duffy 0-1, TK 0-2.

The loss of Vernon could be catastrophic as David McKenna looked like a fish out of water in MF tbh.

orangeman

Real bad luck - Charlie is a real workhorse and he'll be a huge miss for club and county. Hope he's back soon.

mackers

Must say Armagh looked fairly sharp today, I still reckon too much has been made of the result in Cork. Real bad news about Vernon, he was going well, busted himself at one stage to get a ball back from about four Dubs on his own and gave the ball to MOR who duly gave it back to the Dubs!! As benny says there was nothing malicious in it but it's a real blow!!
I thought that the game was fairly competitive for a challenge game (it was a damn sight more competitive than last year's game in Cullyhanna) with Pat McEneaney letting a lot go although he did send a Dub to the line (although there was no red card) for a head high tackle on C McKeever. The standard of defending dropped dramatically in the second half when basically the whole back line was replaced. For me Paul Duffy was Armagh's best player with Stevie also excellent.
How long is Vernon likely to be out with a broken jaw? Weeks? Months?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

AFS

Quote from: mackers on May 03, 2009, 08:48:07 PM

From just doing a google search for sportsmen with this injury it would seem that it can be anywhere from 5 or 6 weeks up to several months. Suppose it depends how bad the fracture is, how well it heals, etc. If it turns out that he did break it, I'd say he's definitely out for Tyrone anyway. Huge blow  :(

ArmaghGAAforum

ah no! ffs Charlie was having his best season for the county and this is likely to rule him out of the tyrone game  :-[

goh4205

Quote from: AFS on May 03, 2009, 10:09:49 PM

From just doing a google search for sportsmen with this injury it would seem that it can be anywhere from 5 or 6 weeks up to several months. Suppose it depends how bad the fracture is, how well it heals, etc. If it turns out that he did break it, I'd say he's definitely out for Tyrone anyway. Huge blow  :(
Your right AFS, having suffered this a few years ago, it will depend how bad the break is and were. In my case it was 16 weeks, but i had 3 breaks 2 on the lower cheek bone and 1 on the upper.  he should be informed that if he goes to the oxygen chamber it will drastically speed up the healing process, and there's a chance he could feature against Tryone if this was done pronto.  Do you know how if it's just 1 break or more.

judas1

Quote from: goh4205 on May 03, 2009, 11:08:25 PM
Quote from: AFS on May 03, 2009, 10:09:49 PM

Your right AFS, having suffered this a few years ago, it will depend how bad the break is and were. In my case it was 16 weeks, but i had 3 breaks 2 on the lower cheek bone and 1 on the upper.  he should be informed that if he goes to the oxygen chamber it will drastically speed up the healing process, and there's a chance he could feature against Tryone if this was done pronto.  Do you know how if it's just 1 break or more.
his jaw is broke in 2 places he will be out for 12 weeks.

Goats Do Shave

I actually thought that the Dublin full back went in to "do" Charlie. IMO He made no attempt to go for the ball, he went to hit the player! Well done Bastic!  :-\

A disappointing way to finish an entertaining game, from which the Armagh team showed real promise, with Charlie & Stevie excelling along with the Armagh full back line.

Get well soon Charlie!

Candyman

Talking to a few team mates there who had been textin Charlie... Metal plate inserted lastnight!! >:(

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 04, 2009, 08:38:46 AM
I actually thought that the Dublin full back went in to "do" Charlie. IMO He made no attempt to go for the ball, he went to hit the player! Well done Bastic!  :-\

A disappointing way to finish an entertaining game, from which the Armagh team showed real promise, with Charlie & Stevie excelling along with the Armagh full back line.

Get well soon Charlie!

Bit unfair was a hospital pass to Charlie and the defender had every right to go for it, one of those things. Is a massive blow to whatever chance we had in Clones. Big question now is who will make up our midfield?? Played Toner at fullback yesterday assume he will be back out but who with Lavery / McKenna ?

Sandy Hill

Quotehis jaw is broke in 2 places he will be out for 12 weeks.

............ by which time we'll be well and truly out of the AI Championship!
"Stercus accidit"

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: Sandy Hill on May 04, 2009, 03:42:46 PM
Quotehis jaw is broke in 2 places he will be out for 12 weeks.

............ by which time we'll be well and truly out of the AI Championship!

Sure you don't rate Charlie anyway, Sandy.  Or have you changed your opinion.

brokencrossbar1

Terrible news for Charlie and for Armagh.  Reports say that it was a hospital ball and the full back shouldered him full frontal.  there doesn't seem to be much made of this tackle, which by description sounds a small bit similar to Francie's on Mickey Linden a few years ago after a hospital pass from Coulter.

Time now to look forward and see what can be done.  Given the nature of the game that Tyrone play I have a wild suggestion.  Obviously play Toner out round the middle, but throw Aaron Kernan in there.  He can run all day, is comfortable on the ball, Tyrone never dominate the mid field sector so there is no real need for a dominating pair in the middle.  Only a thought.