Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I have at least 3 div 1 medals if not 4 as well as a div 2 medal but what did we do in the championship (feck all) bar 1 final. So the league means jack shit infact i couldn't tell ya where my medals are, haven't seen them in years. A senior championship medal is the only one that counts and i don't have any of them...( >:()
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on March 20, 2009, 02:16:39 PM
I have at least 3 div 1 medals if not 4 as well as a div 2 medal but what did we do in the championship (feck all) bar 1 final. So the league means jack shit infact i couldn't tell ya where my medals are, haven't seen them in years. A senior championship medal is the only one that counts and i don't have any of them...( >:()

I always thought you were on the squad in 1993-94, I must have you mixed up with someone else ;)

apres_match

True enough, I may have overstated things when you take into consideration how ogs and clans have gone down in the past, the point I was attempting to convey however was that in the county at present we have a big two, not a big four. Cross and Ogs are the strongest and best balanced teams and then you have a layer of good, solid teams such as Cullyhanna, Killeavy, Clans, Dromintee and indeed, Harps. I just wouldn't be putting Harps on a pedestal to be knocked off :)

The GAA

For what its worth i think dromintee are a fair bit ahead of ogs

apres_match

Quote from: The GAA on March 20, 2009, 03:31:30 PM

Is that a reflection of having seven (i think) county men?

The GAA

Not particularly. just from lookin at both in the championship over the last 2/3 years

winsamsoon

That is complete nonsense, the ogs are probably the second best team in the county followed by Dromintee (who would be just a fraction behind the ogs but a game between the two would be a close call) and the Harps. The other teams are on a level power but realistically they would only beat the above teams if they had a bad day at the office and the other teams had a good day. The harps this year would be a decent division 1 team if they were in that league . Corn is 100% correct when he says that league positions are not really enough to judge a team on. For many years my own club used the league to try out players in new positions once they knew they were safe. There were many games called off and the points were given to teams towards the end of the year. Not to mention the meaningless matches that took place at the end of the year. If i had to rank the teams now in the county it would be like so

Cross
Ogs
Dromintee
Harps

Then
Mullaghbawn
Cullyhanna
Clans
Killeavy

Then
Sarsfield
Tir Na Nog
Granemore
Carrickcruppen
Maghery
Clann Eireann
Ballymacnab
I am sure i have left a few teams out (apologies in advance) Now i am not saying any teams are useless because on any given day any team could beat the other but this is how i would grade them based on the last few years of football in both league and championship.

Oh and I'lldecide i think we have 4 division 1 league medals possibly 5 and a second division.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

The GAA

Its all about opinions and there's no actual measure unless teams play. ogs have avoided dromintee for the last 2 years and not troubled cross either time. dromintee drew with cross last year and lost by 3 this year.

i don't really care about this discussion but knowing the personnel on both sides well i just reckon dromintee would beat ogs by 3 or 4

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

fitzroyalty

How does anyone think Sarsfields & Cruppen will fair in Div1? I think one of the two will go flat out whilst the other will struggle, not sure which though. Sars in with a real shout for Inter championship so would expect them to use Div1 as a spring board like St Pats & Whitecross have done in the past few yrs. Any imminent retirement rumours in Cross yet  :P

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 20, 2009, 02:30:58 PM

I always thought you were on the squad in 1993-94, I must have you mixed up with someone else ;)

BC1 i was just floating about the B team then and decided to come into the senior team shortly afterwards...I was only interested in drinking and women back then so didn't care much for the commitment of senior football then when things settled down and the senior management asked me down and the rest is history...so no, no senior championship medals I'm afraid...

P.S. that photo of you in the Gaelic life must have been took a long time ago as your head looks a lot smaller in it from the last time i seen ya...lol :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

IVEDECIDED

You prob ate them! ;D I think since '96 Clans have won 8 division 1 titles and have zero county tiltles. FACT. However I hate teams who have never (and could never) won the league rubbishing it as nothing. Its still a relative achievement to be top after 18 games considerig some of teams in it, but I agree this is nothing compared to a championship run.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: winsamsoon on March 20, 2009, 10:01:14 AM
Correct saan It is even worse when you get barred from it :D :D :D :D ;)

Cullyhanna are well down the pecking order in terms of challenging the cross. I would say this year Cross will get their stiffest tests from once again the Og's, The Harps and Dromintee i think realistically the other teams are only kidding themselves. Now i know you are coming to come back and say that the Harps are a division two team but with all due respect they are a better team than their league position shows. Cullyhanna would fall into the same category as Culloville, Clann Eireann, Mullaghbawn, Clans, Killeavy and the rest of the challengers for the SFC. The rest of the teams on there could beat each other at the minute but for these teams to beat the  top four, as stated above would be punching above their weight.

clann eireann are nowhere near as good as cullyhanna take out henderson and they would struggle stay in div 2

IVEDECIDED

Couldnt agree more, they struggle with him in it!  ;D Wasters! They have a lovely bar though! ;D

charlie stubbs

Quote from: winsamsoon on March 20, 2009, 03:52:48 PM

That is complete nonsense, the ogs are probably the second best team in the county followed by Dromintee (who would be just a fraction behind the ogs but a game between the two would be a close call) and the Harps. The other teams are on a level power but realistically they would only beat the above teams if they had a bad day at the office and the other teams had a good day. The harps this year would be a decent division 1 team if they were in that league . Corn is 100% correct when he says that league positions are not really enough to judge a team on. For many years my own club used the league to try out players in new positions once they knew they were safe. There were many games called off and the points were given to teams towards the end of the year. Not to mention the meaningless matches that took place at the end of the year. If i had to rank the teams now in the county it would be like so

Cross
Ogs
Dromintee
Harps

Then
Mullaghbawn
Cullyhanna
Clans
Killeavy

Then
Sarsfield
Tir Na Nog
Granemore
Carrickcruppen
Maghery
Clann Eireann
Ballymacnab
I am sure i have left a few teams out (apologies in advance) Now i am not saying any teams are useless because on any given day any team could beat the other but this is how i would grade them based on the last few years of football in both league and championship.

Oh and I'lldecide i think we have 4 division 1 league medals possibly 5 and a second division.

fair enough observation win imo