Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: The GAA on March 19, 2009, 03:31:08 PM

Given their recent resurgence at underage level and the demography of their team. cold cullyhanna be the next challengers?

Dunno but a hot Cullyhanna could??? (only messin :P)

Yes i believe the only team at the minute to beat Cross in the next 2-3 years is the Og's but if only they had the belief that they can actually do it...Cullyhanna are a decent side with committed lads but i think they are 2-3 players short of winning a senior championship. I have plenty of time for the Cullyhanna lads and if we can't win it i'd like to see them guys do it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AFS

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

AFS

Broken indeed. I've come round to it a wee bit in the last couple of months. When you cut through the childish crap that makes up 95% of the posts, there are actually a couple of decent posters over there.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: AFS on March 19, 2009, 05:41:24 PM
Broken indeed. I've come round to it a wee bit in the last couple of months. When you cut through the childish crap that makes up 95% of the posts, there are actually a couple of decent posters over there.
There are indeed, yourself included.  I like the way that some retired IC men post a bit on it
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

AFS

Which posters are retired county men?  Gar is a very good poster, efforts should be made to lure him over here  :P

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: AFS on March 19, 2009, 06:19:32 PM
Which posters are retired county men?  Gar is a very good poster, efforts should be made to lure him over here  :P
retired and gar are 2 I know of.  I believe retired was in the '77 squad.  Not entirely sure when gar played though I have a feeling he had something to do with '77 squad too

winsamsoon

Correct saan It is even worse when you get barred from it :D :D :D :D ;)

Cullyhanna are well down the pecking order in terms of challenging the cross. I would say this year Cross will get their stiffest tests from once again the Og's, The Harps and Dromintee i think realistically the other teams are only kidding themselves. Now i know you are coming to come back and say that the Harps are a division two team but with all due respect they are a better team than their league position shows. Cullyhanna would fall into the same category as Culloville, Clann Eireann, Mullaghbawn, Clans, Killeavy and the rest of the challengers for the SFC. The rest of the teams on there could beat each other at the minute but for these teams to beat the  top four, as stated above would be punching above their weight.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on March 19, 2009, 03:31:08 PM

Given their recent resurgence at underage level and the demography of their team. cold cullyhanna be the next challengers?

Interesting.

Cullyhanna are a great club and in a few years could very well be up there. Great team and very good underage structure.

Maybe TAC can answer this, but would a lof of promosing youngsters get distracted by the drink etc and not make it up to seniors?

They have a character similar to Cross - a touch or arrogance, a bit of confidence and a never-say-die approach.

apres_match

You could draw parallels with Harps and Nottingham Forest or Leeds in England. Big clubs, great history....lower divisions now. They have no particular right to consider themselves to be 'top four' or certainly not to consider themselves superior to the likes of Cullyhanna or Killeavy. League tables don't lie and Harps were relegated, regardless of a decent Championship run.

winsamsoon

Quote from: apres_match on March 20, 2009, 11:53:05 AM
You could draw parallels with Harps and Nottingham Forest or Leeds in England. Big clubs, great history....lower divisions now. They have no particular right to consider themselves to be 'top four' or certainly not to consider themselves superior to the likes of Cullyhanna or Killeavy. League tables don't lie and Harps were relegated, regardless of a decent Championship run.

I am not from the harps apres so it is not them considering themselves to be in the top four it is me. Having played against them over the years i can tell you that they have better gifted footballers than Killeavy or Cullyhanna. They will be a bigger threat to Cross this year than Cullyhanna or Killeavy. Fair enought they were relegated but we all know what way the league works especially Division one. There are a lot of teams use it for preparation and this can back fire on them at the end of the year when they suddenly find themselves in the scenarion were they are no longer safe and have to sort of pull results out of the fire. This is what happened to the harps, but they certainly don't become a bad team over night. You cannot compare them to Nott's forest or any other soccer team because Cullyhanna can't fork out 3 or 4 million for the latest superstar. You only have to make do with what you have. Whilst there are some exceptionally talented footballers in the ranks of Cullyhanna and Killeavy i would certainly rate the harps as more of a threat in the senior championship
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

corn02

League tables don't lie and Harps were relegated, regardless of a decent Championship run.

Welcome aboard Apres.

However, that is nonsense. In Armagh club football League tables do lie. Firtsly, for a lot of clubs thier league team does not resemble their Championship side.

Secondly, Cross have only a couple of leagues over the 13 years (does anyone know by the way exaxtly how many?) so another reason why they lie.

Harps have went down, Ogs have went down, Clans as well, Dromintee flirt with relegation more often than not recently, they are all still amongsat the top teams.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: corn02 on March 20, 2009, 12:36:57 PM
League tables don't lie and Harps were relegated, regardless of a decent Championship run.

Welcome aboard Apres.

However, that is nonsense. In Armagh club football League tables do lie. Firtsly, for a lot of clubs thier league team does not resemble their Championship side.

Secondly, Cross have only a couple of leagues over the 13 years (does anyone know by the way exaxtly how many?) so another reason why they lie.

Harps have went down, Ogs have went down, Clans as well, Dromintee flirt with relegation more often than not recently, they are all still amongsat the top teams.

I think I may have 4 medals corn, definitely 3, it could be more, I'm not sure.  I think we have won at least 2 since I left so we won at least 5 and possibly 6.

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 20, 2009, 01:05:09 PM
Quote from: corn02 on March 20, 2009, 12:36:57 PM

Welcome aboard Apres.

I think I may have 4 medals corn, definitely 3, it could be more, I'm not sure.  I think we have won at least 2 since I left so we won at least 5 and possibly 6.

I think you have won the last two, so possibly even more. But you get the idea, they haven't won 13, so the table does lie a bit.