Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

I'd agree... if they take turns they'll last longer!

brokencrossbar1

I am nicking this off someone else, but I think this might be a decent idea.

Vernon CHB

MF  Toner and David McKenna

CHF Paul McGrane.

Toner as a holding defensive MF to cover when Vernon breaks forward.  McGrane can play as an attacking MF in the CF role without the same exposure that you would get in MF.  Only an idea

The Iceman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 28, 2009, 04:43:25 PM
I am nicking this off someone else, but I think this might be a decent idea.

Vernon CHB

MF  Toner and David McKenna

CHF Paul McGrane.

Toner as a holding defensive MF to cover when Vernon breaks forward.  McGrane can play as an attacking MF in the CF role without the same exposure that you would get in MF.  Only an idea

Vernon is not a half back - never will be from what I have seen of him
and truth be told I wouldn't want to be relying on McGrane to take scores.  In fairness he has kicked some good points but when he gets the ball and looks up I find myself cringing at a wasted opportunity to lay the ball off to a more natural score taker
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

winsamsoon

Only one problem BC Mc Grane will have ten shots and score 1. Now that wee plan would work beter if you switched Mc Grane and Vernon because at least Venon can take a score.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

AFS

I used to think that Vernon was a definite future CHB but now I'm not so sure. I think the responsibility of looking after a man would take away too much from his natural game. He wouldn't be as free to charge forward as often which is the strongest part of his game. I reckon it would be a disaster to have both him and Aaron Kernan in the same defensive line as they would be generously described as loose markers. I have visions of Charlie charging 50 yards up the pitch, the move breaking down, and in a flash the ball being booted to Brian McGuigan who is standing on the forty by himself laughing at the oceans of room he has to plot another Tyrone score.

For me he has to play in the middle, either as one of the two normal midfielders or as a No. 15 or whatever who is moved to the middle.

corn02

Quote from: illdecide on January 28, 2009, 04:08:40 PM
Sorry Nash but i disagree about Charlie...When you have 2 midfielder playing it doesn't matter if they're similar or not they have to have the brains for 1 to sit and cover when the other 1 is on the attack or visa versa, the 2 lads can't bomb forward like forest gump it's using your brain and I'd say if they played together Paul would gladly sit and hold the fort whilst Charles wrecks havoc in attack while if Paul gets the opportunity to break forward then Charlie will sit...

thats only my opinion ???

Agreed.

MOJO

2009 Club Managers - Fill in the Blanks accordingly.

ACL – Division One
Carrickcruppen - Jim Loughran.
Clan na Gael  - Gerard Skelton & Enda Brady
Crossmaglen -
Culloville
Dromintee - Colin Kelly
Killeavey
Mullaghbawn
Pearse Og - Brendan Hughes.
St Patrick's - Joe Mallon & Paul Rouse.
Sarsfields

ACL – Division Two
Ballyhegan
Ballymacnab - Jerome Johnson
Clann Eireann
Granemore - John Toner
Harps - Nudie Hughes
Madden
Maghery
St Michael's
Silverbridge - Bernard Connolly & Kevin Byrne
Tir na nÓg - Aiden Farrell
Whitecross - Killian Finnegan
Wolfe Tone - Michael Magill

ACL – Division Three
Annaghmore - Aiden McGahan
An Port Mor - Peter Bayne
Belleek
Clonmore
Collegeland - Niall Gorman
Keady - John Toal
Lissummon
Middletown
St Paul's
St Peter's
Shane O'Neill's
Tullysaran - Audi Hamiliton

ACL – Division Four
Clady
Corrinshego
Crossmaglen II
Derrynoose
Dorsey Emmett's
Eire Og
Forkhill
Grange -Colm Toal, Tam Gribben & James O'Hagan
Mullaghbrack
O'Hanlon's
Phelim Brady's
Killean- Hugh Morgan?

Legs11

Quote from: twotwocharlie on January 28, 2009, 03:33:11 PM
New managers at Silverbridge : Bernard Connolly and Kevin Byrne have taken on job. Two well respected men within the club ,so best wishes to them. ;D ;D ;D
you sure bout that two two?? if so i wish them all the best 4 the year.couldnt be ne worst than the last 2 years...hopefully the bridge can get everybody back on board and give the c.ship a good go....

3000 miles away

from what i know of p mc donnell he's a defensive minded manager, unless he shakes that off after last years shambles, but i can see him goin with at least one midfielder who is defensive minded, and if he could somehow turn p mc grane into this kind of player we could be on a winner round midfield, let one of the youger fellas do the attacking play like charlie,mckenna,lavery etc(dont think this role would suit toner) and this would leave mc grane to do his fielding and have a presence in and around the engine room for the younger fellas, and after a bit of thinking i think we need a CHF that could shield our midfield for kick outs like j mc entee used to, i think mc grane misses john for this job and also that john used to take the odd vital catch and relieve pressure from mc grane and co, another aspect of the game we need to look at is, the goalkeeper needs to start looking for the odd short kick if its on, hearty i know drives the ball 80 yards down the field but he can do the short game no problem,2003 being an example and he used to do it with cross wit stephen clarke alot,this pulls some traffic out of midfield.

gander

QuoteVernon is not a half back - never will be from what I have seen of him
and truth be told I wouldn't want to be relying on McGrane to take scores.  In fairness he has kicked some good points but when he gets the ball and looks up I find myself cringing at a wasted opportunity to lay the ball off to a more natural score taker

Martin O'Rourke is the current CHF and he never scores, and doesn't have a great shot.  I think McGrane could be a good link man in that position and has the strength and intelligence to win break ball as well.  Worth trying it out in my opinion.

corn02

Quote from: gander on January 29, 2009, 09:31:15 AM

Martin O'Rourke is the current CHF and he never scores, and doesn't have a great shot.  I think McGrane could be a good link man in that position and has the strength and intelligence to win break ball as well.  Worth trying it out in my opinion.

Marty lines out at 10.

gander

Quote from: corn02 on January 29, 2009, 09:45:05 AM

Marty lines out at 10.

he didnt last year

corn02

Quote from: gander on January 29, 2009, 09:54:49 AM
Quote from: corn02 on January 29, 2009, 09:45:05 AM

Marty lines out at 10.

he didnt last year

Yes he did.

Sk, Mallon and Paddy McKeever all played at 11 during the Championship.

The GAA

Are there traditional positions in the forward line any more?

by extension, are there defined defensive positions any more?

corn02

True. Marty lined out on the wing, but to tie him down to a position is worng, he was in three different lines.