Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Are we talking League or Championship team here?

charlie stubbs

would say that henderson/feeney and possibly kor ahead of kernan at the minute in terms starting.  at the minute he has no hance starting dont even think he starting for cross?  hasnt stopped the kernans before though ;)

AFS

Dunno about T Kernan myself, he didn't impress much last Summer. I think he, and a few of the other young Cross lads, are at a big disadvantage because Cross keep getting to the latter stages of the club championship. Instead of getting the much needed run of games in the McKenna Cup and league in order to establish themselves in the team, they've been left with 1 or 2 outings at the end of the league in order to claim a championship spot in the last few years. I think Cross' continued success is harming the county's chances in this respect.

ardmhachaabu

Some of the men being touted for inter-county success with Armagh have had the same reputation for a few years now as being 'the next best thing' out of Armagh and ... we are still being teased from management and county board that the best is yet to come.  If Aaron Kernan's interview with the IN the other week is anything to go by then 2009 will be a year to watch...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Goats Do Shave

I thought Tony Kernan had a fine debut season.

He came on & won the match v Cavan in Cross. He also kicked a right few scores, from both free kicks & 45s!

He provided excallent link up play in my opinion also.

anportmorforjfc

is this thread not for armagh club football and hurling?

The GAA

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 28, 2009, 07:56:57 AM
I thought Tony Kernan had a fine debut season.

He came on & won the match v Cavan in Cross. He also kicked a right few scores, from both free kicks & 45s!

He provided excallent link up play in my opinion also.

Don't think i could possibly disagree more. He is a decent free taker and obvious;y had a great debut in that regard against cavan.
otherwise, he was rank bad. particularly in the championship.

corn02

The rules are getting more farcical by the day.

Armagh are fuming after Aidan O'Rourke picked up a controversial one-month suspension which rules him out of their NFL opener against Wexford on Sunday.

O'Rourke received the suspension as his 'reward' for taking time out to coach Queen's University in the McKenna Cup. The Orchard County star got four weeks for remonstrating with a linesman during the win over - ironically - Armagh.

He spent the rest of the McKenna Cup campaign in the stands but is now also ruled out of his county's opening league assignment, much to the wrath of everybody concerned:

"I wasn't too up on the rules in this to tell the truth, but it seems a bit odd. It certainly doesn't encourage fellas to get involved in coaching if this is going to be the case.

"It's an aspect I hadn't really thought of. It has ramifications for coaching the team but the big thing for me was not being able to play for Armagh.

"In Sigerson, you just stand on one side of the rope so it is irrelevant really. But Armagh are not too happy about me missing the game in Wexford."

3000 miles away

Quote from: yellowcard on January 27, 2009, 06:15:47 PM
Quote from: 3000 miles away on January 27, 2009, 02:30:02 AM
well lads new to all this craic but find the last few pages of debate interesting, if i could add my pennies worth to the debate, i agree about the step up from club to county is bigger than most think, as an example Stephen o neill is this years all ireland, he was posting big scores all summer with his club and although he was ok in the all ireland he wasnt the stephen o neill we would have seen if he had been with the county all year. The cross players although they are playing at a high level during the all ireland club i think for the younger fellas looking to break into the team,their success with cross curtails there chance to impress mc donell and co. on the subject of peader toal, with the proper coaching and application this fella is a super footballer, a bit of a loose cannon yes but thats part and parcel of the man, if he got his head right and few games under his belt he could be one link in the chain of gettin the half forward line back to its primary job. he might not have the commitment of john mc entee of some of his other attribtes but his left foot (i think) is just as sweet and he can kick long distance scores which we need to get back. i'll have a stab at the team for the tyrone game.

P HEARTY
PMCKEOWN/FINN MO    B DONAGHY    A MALLON

A KERNAN                    C MC KEEVER  AN OTHER

P MC GRANE             D MCKENNA/J LAVERY

P TOAL                      B MALLON        M O ROURKE

S MC DONNELL            R CLARKE        T KERNAN/S FORKER

Surely this team has to include K Toner & definitely Vernon. Otherwise a sound looking team,

and where do these fellas slot in, im thinkin we need a tall rangey midfielder again, ie john toal=02 philip loughran=03, perhaps the league will answer this question, joe feeney is an interesting dimension to a full forward line but whoever plays here is gonna be playing out round the half forward line, k o rourke could also be an addition although height isnt on his side and he's light, eamon maguire,mark little etc dont fair out to badly and we need a live wire like that.

corn02

Quote from: 3000 miles away on January 28, 2009, 02:00:26 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on January 27, 2009, 06:15:47 PM
Quote from: 3000 miles away on January 27, 2009, 02:30:02 AM
well lads new to all this craic but find the last few pages of debate interesting, if i could add my pennies worth to the debate, i agree about the step up from club to county is bigger than most think, as an example Stephen o neill is this years all ireland, he was posting big scores all summer with his club and although he was ok in the all ireland he wasnt the stephen o neill we would have seen if he had been with the county all year. The cross players although they are playing at a high level during the all ireland club i think for the younger fellas looking to break into the team,their success with cross curtails there chance to impress mc donell and co. on the subject of peader toal, with the proper coaching and application this fella is a super footballer, a bit of a loose cannon yes but thats part and parcel of the man, if he got his head right and few games under his belt he could be one link in the chain of gettin the half forward line back to its primary job. he might not have the commitment of john mc entee of some of his other attribtes but his left foot (i think) is just as sweet and he can kick long distance scores which we need to get back. i'll have a stab at the team for the tyrone game.

P HEARTY
PMCKEOWN/FINN MO    B DONAGHY    A MALLON

A KERNAN                    C MC KEEVER  AN OTHER

P MC GRANE             D MCKENNA/J LAVERY

P TOAL                      B MALLON        M O ROURKE

S MC DONNELL            R CLARKE        T KERNAN/S FORKER

Surely this team has to include K Toner & definitely Vernon. Otherwise a sound looking team,

and where do these fellas slot in, im thinkin we need a tall rangey midfielder again, ie john toal=02 philip loughran=03, perhaps the league will answer this question, joe feeney is an interesting dimension to a full forward line but whoever plays here is gonna be playing out round the half forward line, k o rourke could also be an addition although height isnt on his side and he's light, eamon maguire,mark little etc dont fair out to badly and we need a live wire like that.

My team for Championship.

AN Other

McKeown Donaghy Mallon
McKeever O'Rourke An Other (good player him)

Vernon McGrane

AK Mallon/SK (a lot of people disgarding SK again this year) MOR
McDonnell Clarke AN Nother (he'll be wrecked)

nashville

Corn just noticed there that you have placed Charlie in midfield, I was going to reply to this but then remembered what I had posted on the infamous "Charlie Vernon thread"..

Vernon is from our club. From u12 he has been tipped as the man who could make a difference. He has done it at every single level and played against some of the best at minor, u21 and even roughed it with the Australians when he was captain of the u18 compromise rules squad that travelled to Australia and won the tour, earning the man of the series title. He has won all of his honours playing in the central positions of CHB or MF. The only obstacle he has left to conquer is Senior Intercounty football, and hand on my heart, having watched him from 11 years of age, I feel that if he is given the opportunity to flourish and play in his position of Midfield then it will only be a matter of time until he is talked about in the same breath as McGrane, Cavanagh and Tohill.

A midfield partnership in Gaelic is like one in soccer... one player needs to be restrained and cover the defence, one needs to go forward and chip in with scores. At the minute I feel too much emphasis is placed on Paul McGrane within the Armagh team and there is almost a feeling of whatever Paul does then the other midfielder has to do the other job, basically McGrane gets to decide what he can do. This is something Paul has earned with many outstanding displays and why I feel Charlie would not be a suitable partner for him. When Paul retires I think Charlie should be our number 1 midfielder, given the free role he has with Queens and with Harps to attack and score. His fielding is immense, his tackling is first class (something exhibited in McKenna Cup and Sigerson games thus far), and his score taking ability is great. His passing is very good also, and I believe that when he does become our number 1 midfielder that Ronan Clarke and McDonnell can benefit from his surging runs with layoffs or his long passing ability. But until McGrane calls it a day I don't think Charlie is suited to Armagh's midfield. Until then Charlie will have to make do with doing the donkey running that seems almost compulsory for Armagh half forwards... I look forward to the day when Charlie's real talent is unleashed and people finally realise what all the fuss is about...

But I am only one man and that is simply my opinion...

corn02

Interesting points Nashville.

He has rarely failed to impress me, he was even decent last year despite people saying he had a bad first starting year for Armagh.

I see where you are coming for regarding two midfielders being too similar. It is the way that he game has gone, too technical. Each midfielder has a role. I am old-fashioned though, give me two men that can tackle, field and kick the odd score and throw them in. I don't care about balance, gie me two lads , like McGrane does and Vernon looks capable of doing, and I will be happy. Throw in a mark rule for cathing from a kick-out and I'll be doubly pleased.

twotwocharlie

New managers at Silverbridge : Bernard Connolly and Kevin Byrne have taken on job. Two well respected men within the club ,so best wishes to them. ;D ;D ;D

brokencrossbar1

Real solid Bridge men, can we expect now that the current team follow on the time honoured of both men as players and cut the shite out of anything that moved, including their own? :P

Quote from: twotwocharlie on January 28, 2009, 03:33:11 PM
New managers at Silverbridge : Bernard Connolly and Kevin Byrne have taken on job. Two well respected men within the club ,so best wishes to them. ;D ;D ;D

illdecide

Sorry Nash but i disagree about Charlie...When you have 2 midfielder playing it doesn't matter if they're similar or not they have to have the brains for 1 to sit and cover when the other 1 is on the attack or visa versa, the 2 lads can't bomb forward like forest gump it's using your brain and I'd say if they played together Paul would gladly sit and hold the fort whilst Charles wrecks havoc in attack while if Paul gets the opportunity to break forward then Charlie will sit...

thats only my opinion ???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch