Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

3 or 4 still small number of starters fro Cross, which says a lot.

Yeah agree about McKewon, have said many times that he is the best young prospect Cross have and I expect him to start.

A good league campaign for either keeper and they would surely challenge Hearty, so I wouldn't say guaranteed, but very probable.

Yeah midfield is a minefield - McGrane in one slot with the other spot to be filled by Lavery, McKenna, O Neill brothers, Martin, Toner, Vernon, Mackin or Courtney. At present I would say Toner is slightly in front going by last year, but will be an interesting one to kepp an eye on.

Not too sure if there is room for Mallon and Sk and I expect the League to sort this debate. Too number 11s.

You have TK pushing up there as well.

The Iceman

have to say I really like the new Armagh gear - the hoodies look great
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

holylandsniper

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 22, 2009, 12:49:47 PM
So far how many of the new players being tried out might make the jump.  Obviously you will have at least 7 Cross players to come back to the squad, but what other players will make it.  I have to say I am glad to see McClelland getting back as I remember him from minors and thought he was a class act, Henderson and Toal seem like they could be good additions.  Who else?

Will be lucky to make panel after cut, a carthorse - if he had anyway near a bit of spped he'd be usefull but even Francie would put him to shame in a race

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: holylandsniper on January 22, 2009, 01:50:10 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 22, 2009, 12:49:47 PM
So far how many of the new players being tried out might make the jump.  Obviously you will have at least 7 Cross players to come back to the squad, but what other players will make it.  I have to say I am glad to see McClelland getting back as I remember him from minors and thought he was a class act, Henderson and Toal seem like they could be good additions.  Who else?

Will be lucky to make panel after cut, a carthorse - if he had anyway near a bit of spped he'd be usefull but even Francie would put him to shame in a race

That's a pity, I thought he had the making of a serious half back when he was minors.

What about the option of Toner in FB with Donaghy in the wing back position, with McKeever CHB and AK wing half.  Plenty of pace  and strong in the certain.  Also you could play Vernon in the HB line and push AK to the HF line.

Uladh

Vernon can't play in the half back line, forget about that. AK won't play in the h forwards either from what i hear. toner and donaghy can both play in the full or half back line surely? and toner might be the next best option at 6.

is there any insight to whether francie will be making himself available?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Uladh on January 22, 2009, 02:21:07 PM

Vernon can't play in the half back line, forget about that. AK won't play in the h forwards either from what i hear. toner and donaghy can both play in the full or half back line surely? and toner might be the next best option at 6.

I understand his plan is to be available but that might change.

bennydorano

I reckon this year there could be a few changes come championship time, especially if McDonnell does stick to the plan of playing a more expansive game.  I'd say David McKenna will start in MF come the summer because of his mobility. While McGrane will probably start along side him, I think his days as an untouchable are over. I cant see a team starting without Kieran Toner in there somewhere.  If Peadar Toal does what he is capable of I could see him starting in the HF line team, there should be fierce competition in there this year. Vernon at CHF could let him compete in the MF area. 
Hearty
McKeown, Toner, A Mallon
AK, Donaghy/ McKeever
McGrane, MCKenna
MOR, Vernon, Toal
McDonnell, Clarke, any one of 5

brokencrossbar1

I wouldn't argue too much with that team benny.  Would Toal play the corner at all and bring Mallon into the wing forward position?

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: Uladh on January 22, 2009, 02:21:07 PM

EH?

Haven't seen much McKenna cup football but i'd be happy with a championship team something like:

Hearty
an other Toner  Mallon
Donaghy O'Rourke McKeever
      McGrane   McKenna
O'Rourke Mallon  Vernon
McDonnell Clarke Henderson

fitzroyalty

I'd go for

Hearty
P McGeown/F Moriarty* K Toner A Mallon
A Kernan C McMcKeever B Donaghy

P McGrane
C Vernon**

P McKeever B Mallon P Toal
S McDonnell R Clarke R Henderson

*On the pretence that Finn Mo will play here during the league, I think come end of league/championship time McGeown may find it hard getting his place after Cross' AI exploits
**On the assumption he keeps up his QUB form.

A slightly unorthodox forward line from myself but I'm hoping all this talk of more attacking football is going to take shape come summer time. If that is to be the case I would expect Paddy McKeever to start making a few more appearances at MORs expense, likewise if P Toal is to stick at it I would definitely include him.

charlie stubbs

like the look of bennys team there 2.  think if vernon is to play would be in a central role.  would really love him to transform his qub form armagh jersey.  

no.15 will pose a problem for mcdonnell.  henderson on form would certainly be an option but that leaves three forwards inside with him, clarke and stevie and i doubt that armagh will operate this way as mcdonnell is a negative coach.  feeney apparantly impressed last night, kevin o rourke also though size will be a problem for him at this level, stefan forker would be another option.  

would like to see mckeown in the corner, though finn mo a fellow clubman think mckeown definately a better option.
would be worried if bellew isolated against son or cavanagh, donaghey's mobility may be the best option to try and contain cavanagh

midfield will again cause major debate as to who will partner mcgrane.  corn has listed a number of options there, but in reality i feel it will be between lavery, toner and mckenna.  

the selection of the half forward line and their actual role will no doubt cause plenty of debate and opinion.  the tyrone game will have alot of dirty ball and as much as i like toal as a footballer i doubt mcdonnell will gamble with him from the start,due to his cautious nature.  would imagine it woud be mor, vernon and mallon/kernan/mckeever fom the start.  would mcnamee be an option anyone?  would rate him more highly than shorty clarke for example, but again as in the case of kor size may be an issue.  

alot of questions at this stage for mdonnell.  hopefully the league can come up with some positive answers

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: charlie stubbs on January 22, 2009, 03:13:03 PM
the selection of the half forward line and their actual role will no doubt cause plenty of debate and opinion.  the tyrone game will have alot of dirty ball and as much as i like toal as a footballer i doubt mcdonnell will gamble with him from the start,due to his cautious nature.  would imagine it woud be mor, vernon and mallon/kernan/mckeever fom the start.  would mcnamee be an option anyone?  would rate him more highly than shorty clarke for example, but again as in the case of kor size may be an issue.  

alot of questions at this stage for mdonnell.  hopefully the league can come up with some positive answers

I never really thought of Mickey, small he may be but he is a hardy wee buck and has 4-5 years good experience under his belt.  His is playing out off his skin at the minute and might be an option.  He can be a good link player, is handy at picking up loose ball around the middle and chips in 2-3 scores a game.

I definitely see MOR and Vernon in the half forward line but the third one is going to be interesting.

amigo

I think Paul Kernan and Brendan McKeown are good enough for starting slots!! Going on what i have seen of them in the past few seasons!!!

charlie stubbs

Quote from: amigo on January 22, 2009, 03:31:31 PM
I think Paul Kernan and Brendan McKeown are good enough for starting slots!! Going on what i have seen of them in the past few seasons!!!

not so sure on kernan to be honest.  what age is brendan mckeown??

Aghdavoyle

its a massive leap from club football, at whatever level, to a starting on a county team. i suspect it'll be a year too early for young McKeown but that year on the panel will prepare him for coming into the team next year. not sure about paul kernan to be honest. McNamee is a great wee club player but realistically i don't think he'll make it in county football. he has had great years before and joe never deemed him good enough.

Our benchmark for selection has to be national league and championship perforances. on that basis the upcoming league of course will tell the tale but if we're honest we're all naming fellas who fell short in championship football last year. in that list i'd include moriarty, toner, mallon, p mckeever, vernon and possibly hearty. forgetting about position and tactics, can lads win the ball and can they use it at that level?