Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

why do these idiots put senior, intermediate and junior championship matches on at the same time at different venues?

el_cuervo_fc

Off The Fence

See Enda is returning for 2009 according to the Irish Star today

corn02

I know the county board do try their best and I try to praise them when they do good, but year after year they defy logic and don;t put on double headers, I just can't figure it out?

bennydorano

Mid B championship

Prelim round
Ogs v Granemore
Nab v Port Mor
Keady V Ballyhegan

Q/F's
Middletown v Madden
Tullysaran v Collegeland
Ogs/Granemore v 'Nab/Port Mor
Keady/Ballyhegan v Harps

Home advantage for first named teams.

IVEDECIDED

Any word on the first set of league fixtures yet?

illdecide

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on January 21, 2009, 01:05:53 PM

Me and you needin worry about them saan ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ogshead

Quote from: corn02 on January 21, 2009, 09:19:23 AM
I know the county board do try their best and I try to praise them when they do good, but year after year they defy logic and don;t put on double headers, I just can't figure it out?

Have you seen what they charge into senior championship games, can't see how they make any money at all, if there was double headers they'd be broke  :P

corn02

Quote from: ogshead on January 21, 2009, 09:16:00 PM

Have you seen what they charge into senior championship games, can't see how they make any money at all, if there was double headers they'd be broke  :P

My argument is that they would actually make much more.

Nuetral fans would be himmin and haain (some spelling there) about going to see a match, but it they got too matches for a pound or two extra, the extra fans should, in theory, be significant, therefore eradicating any downfall from changing it to one game and, in the end, ensuring profit. Also the matches would hgave better attendance, better atmosphere and would be better all round. I believe Derry and Tyrone have double-headers and draw a massive crowds, but I could be wrong.

flog the lot

don't think that they are out yet, but have heard that the first round of games are on the 5th April.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: flog the lot on January 22, 2009, 09:10:51 AM

don't think that they are out yet, but have heard that the first round of games are on the 5th April.

So 1 round of games then probably a 10 day break for Easter. Might as well wait and start in the middle of April

thebandit

Why is the championship started so late?

bennydorano

Think the idea is to make the leagues more meaningful, as in - if you're out of the champ in May the leagues can suffer as a result. 

billy the kid

Quote from: corn02 on January 21, 2009, 10:12:38 PM

Nuetral fans would be himmin and haain (some spelling there) about going to see a match, but it they got too matches for a pound or two extra, the extra fans should, in theory, be significant, therefore eradicating any downfall from changing it to one game and, in the end, ensuring profit. Also the matches would hgave better attendance, better atmosphere and would be better all round. I believe Derry and Tyrone have double-headers and draw a massive crowds, but I could be wrong.

Not 100% on Tyrone doing it all the time, but know it definately happens at times.

Your 100% about Derry championship though. Double headers are the done thing which always bring in huge crowds with 4 teams playing and a large influx of neutrals. The only 2 situations where games arent double headers are, when all there are a heap of games on the one weekend so a stand alone game may be fitted in on a friday night (this only happens at first round), or when there is a replay needed it may be stand alone if no suitable curtain raiser is available, (eg. another replay from Junior, intermediate or senior, or an underage game)

The Derry county board can be a joke at times but one thing they do well is championship Football at Junior intermediate and senior levels.
Senior, Intermediate and Junior championship games are all double and triple headers and all can be mixed in with each other, eg Junior game followed by intermediate, intermediate followed by Senior or junior followed by senior, and the Senior championship is set out so as if you wanted you could see every minute of every game and also see all of the intermediate and junior championships (if you really wanted)

The crowds at these games are pretty huge and as I mentioned neutrals travel from all over the county and from neighbouring counties to see them, but it must be remembered that Club GAA is a huge Draw in Derry and is the most important part for the vast majority of our gaels.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

corn02

Quote from: billy the kid on January 22, 2009, 11:45:48 AM
Quote from: corn02 on January 21, 2009, 10:12:38 PM

Not 100% on Tyrone doing it all the time, but know it definately happens at times.

Your 100% about Derry championship though. Double headers are the done thing which always bring in huge crowds with 4 teams playing and a large influx of neutrals. The only 2 situations where games arent double headers are, when all there are a heap of games on the one weekend so a stand alone game may be fitted in on a friday night (this only happens at first round), or when there is a replay needed it may be stand alone if no suitable curtain raiser is available, (eg. another replay from Junior, intermediate or senior, or an underage game)

The Derry county board can be a joke at times but one thing they do well is championship Football at Junior intermediate and senior levels.
Senior, Intermediate and Junior championship games are all double and triple headers and all can be mixed in with each other, eg Junior game followed by intermediate, intermediate followed by Senior or junior followed by senior, and the Senior championship is set out so as if you wanted you could see every minute of every game and also see all of the intermediate and junior championships (if you really wanted)

The crowds at these games are pretty huge and as I mentioned neutrals travel from all over the county and from neighbouring counties to see them, but it must be remembered that Club GAA is a huge Draw in Derry and is the most important part for the vast majority of our gaels.

Exactly, I know a few Dromintee lads who went up to a couple of Derry games last year because of that sort of organisation.