Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Was in the paper yesterday that McKeever was 'unavailable'.

Don't know what that means, work commitments? Or could it be that he is mulling over his continued involvement?

ardmhachaabu

AFS, I have been told that Paddy will be available for league and championship
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

AFS

No harm for him to have the break then. Hopefully he's spending his time looking around the house for his training schedule from 1999-2002. Whatever he was at back then was working out a lot better than what he's been at recently. So strange that such a talented player has slipped so much in his mid-twenties, especially since he never really suffered any serious injuries in that time.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: AFS on January 18, 2009, 05:21:40 PM
No harm for him to have the break then. Hopefully he's spending his time looking around the house for his training schedule from 1999-2002. Whatever he was at back then was working out a lot better than what he's been at recently. So strange that such a talented player has slipped so much in his mid-twenties, especially since he never really suffered any serious injuries in that time.
Agreed.  I have felt for a while it could be a confidence thing with him as he started very few games last year and when I think about it the year before as well.  1 fit and confident Paddy = 2 average players, in my opinion, without knocking anyone on the squad.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

AFS

Yeah its no surprise that his lack of form in the past few years has coincided with the lack of potency from our half forward line. In his heyday he was worth 2 or 3, and sometimes a good bit more, points a game from the wing. A lot of our recent failures stem from the fact that we've not had anyone else that could do this in the last few years.

armagh leg-end

Quote from: AFS on January 18, 2009, 04:27:27 PM
Was in the paper yesterday that McKeever was 'unavailable'.

Don't know what that means, work commitments? Or could it be that he is mulling over his continued involvement?

Their was a great armagh contingent at an ex armagh legends wedding last night in cavan!
Ard Mhacha Abu

Celt_Man

Just wondering what the armagh team was last night? Didn't recognise too many of the faces. Will many be in contention for the team during the league? 
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ogshead

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 18, 2009, 11:34:15 AM
Quote from: Jimmy Joe on January 18, 2009, 11:24:13 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 17, 2009, 05:36:27 PM
I take it from the talk on the Tyrone thread, Clarke wont be getting the ogs job?

Rumour has it that Clarke is away to Carrickmore.  Can any Ogs lads confirm this??
Its confirmed on the tyrone thread.

As I haven't been in contact with anyone in the gaa circles in the town this week, this thread let me know about Clarkes new post in Carrickmore. I for one think that this is great news for him, a fresh start. When he first took on the Ogs job in the'98  season it was really a bit of a damage limitation excercise. There had been a big decline, all the players from the successful championship winning teams had retired almost at once and there was a couple of hard years (I can still remember that painful night in Portadown when Clan's kicked the stuffing out of us and the future looked bleak). Mullabawn beat us in the first round of the championship in '98 but the ground work had begun and the following year we reached the county final.

He worked hard with the team and had a couple of years out in between but I know that all he wanted was to see the Ogs win that championship. It's a big disappointment that he didn't and he put his heart into it. As everyone knows Crossmaglen are some team and it's for that reason that he didn't win it but it wasn't for the want of trying. He's built the Ogs team up and now it is time for someone  else to come in and try and help push us over the line. That in no way puts the man down, he done a great job. It's just fresh approach is needed. I wish him all the best in his new role

Goats Do Shave

I've often said this on this board; Armagh's half forward line is by-passed & misused!

They have been used too defensively & the long diagonal balls into the full forward line miss out the half forwards.

Paddy McKeever, as a result, has struggled. This system suits Marty O'Rourke, as he's a real battler, with limited skill & pace. It suited John McEntee, as he's a huge kick on him, & was used to feed the full forward line, & also chipped in with some long range scores! It will not suit Peader Toal & It will not suit Brian Mallon!

corn02

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 19, 2009, 08:36:51 AM
I've often said this on this board; Armagh's half forward line is by-passed & misused!

They have been used too defensively & the long diagonal balls into the full forward line miss out the half forwards.

Paddy McKeever, as a result, has struggled. This system suits Marty O'Rourke, as he's a real battler, with limited skill & pace. It suited John McEntee, as he's a huge kick on him, & was used to feed the full forward line, & also chipped in with some long range scores! It will not suit Peader Toal & It will not suit Brian Mallon!

Good point, but I think it is ll to do with the system we play MOR obviously is a main player and is there for defensive/break ball suties rather than attacking play. Vernon played a withdrawn role last year and that is why we appeared so defenensive as we effectively played a lot of the game with four forwards -although a lot people seem to blame Aidan O'Rourke as sweeper for this.

Keep two in the half forward line fpr the duration (hopefully Aaron and Mallon) and you will see a lot more productivity from there.

holylandsniper

Quote from: full back on January 17, 2009, 12:34:05 PM
Similar to TAC
That there is a problem after the AGM with certain people's votes, about who was in and who wasnt
Cant end well

Problems just dont stop at AGM and the votes as far as im aware, also Pints hear from very reliable source that John rafferty was appointed but not sanctioned by the committee - on hearing this Rafferty got out quick

bennydorano

Harsh on Peadar Toal considering it was his first competitive GAA match for club or county in well over a year.

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on January 19, 2009, 09:33:39 AM
Harsh on Peadar Toal considering it was his first competitive GAA match for club or county in well over a year.

And, of course, the fact that he hardly touched the ball could also be attributed to the ball not coming near him.

winsamsoon

Mc keever has had really bad trouble over the past number of years with his hips. He will probably need a new one put in and the end of it all . Perhaps Mc Donnell is allowing him time to rest up and stregthen that area before he comes into football. Also that ground at the minute wouldn't do anything for a bad hip so with this is mind it is probably a good decision . I saw him at Davitt park when they played queens he was standing on the bank with the women. Sometimes it doesn't do any harm getting the break.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

The GAA

Toal was playing in the full forward line. i'm not trying to get on the lad's case but i have to say that i was angered watching, what appeared to me, his total lack of appetite for the game.