Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Everlast

Think he is more or less recovered from that injury and shud be back training with the county wenever it is county teams are allowed back.  ;)

BenDover

Quote from: rootthemout on December 23, 2008, 04:16:55 PM
what happened to gregory loughran from ogs,thought he had the makings of a good footballer,kevin kelly from harps should have had a runout if only for his place kicking when on song as good as any in county.badly need a left footer that can kick 40-50 metre freesi know aronn is accurate from inside 35metres but not strong enough from 40-50metres

He's made plans to go till America in May

Jimmy Joe

Quote from: BenDover on December 30, 2008, 09:45:12 AM
Quote from: rootthemout on December 23, 2008, 04:16:55 PM
what happened to gregory loughran from ogs,thought he had the makings of a good footballer,kevin kelly from harps should have had a runout if only for his place kicking when on song as good as any in county.badly need a left footer that can kick 40-50 metre freesi know aronn is accurate from inside 35metres but not strong enough from 40-50metres

He's made plans to go till America in May

I'd heard that alright.  He'll be a big loss to the Ogs next year

corn02

McDonnell: No time for players meeting
By Steve Malone

ARMAGH manager Peter McDonnell advised people not to read too much into the omissions from his McKenna Cup squad. Steven McDonnell and Enda McNulty are noticeable absentees while the Mulaghbawn primary school principal has also added a few new faces to the panel.

St Michael's defender Neil O'Rourke, county hurler Eugene McDonnell, Chris Rafferty and Dromintee's outstanding goalkeeper Philip McEvoy are to be blooded for the first time.

Armagh begins their campaign against Antrim at the Athletic Grounds on Sunday (January 4) at 2pm.

The training ban, allowing only two sessions, imposed by Croke Park during November and December hampered the training and the Ulster Club Championship denied McDonnell and his players the chance of a face-to-face meeting.

"We were to meet on the second week of the permitted meetings after Crossmaglen were playing in Ulster Club Championship final," said McDonnell.

"But that went to a replay, then was postponed and after Crossmaglen won it was too close to Christmas. Effectively we are not going to have our second meeting and there have been no announcements of retirements, so I wouldn't read too much into the absentees."

He added: "A lot of players that were not on the county panel before the McKenna Cup have been restricted by the ban. While many of the panel have featured for Armagh over the past few years it is a myth that underage honours are a necessary requirement. The Armagh manager was quick to dispel this. "The is a perception in some quarters that unless a player has shown promise at county minor or U21 level that they wont have a county career but if they have been playing well they deserve a chance," said the Armagh manager.

Last year Armagh's lack of scoring forwards outside of Ronan Clarke and Steven McDonnell were apparent. Clann Eireann's Ryan Henderson has been touted as the answer before and McDonnell is giving the classy forward the opportunity to deliver. And McDonnell thinks highly of Henderson. McDonnell said: "Ryan Henderson did well for us in a challenge match against Wexford in Lurgan last year. But I had my panel picked at that stage and this is the first chance to see him since.

He added: "On the second trail he score around 1-5 and I have been aware of him for some time, and the opinion in the north of Armagh is that he deserves a chance." McDonnell added: "He is more than worthy of an opportunity and it is great to put a player in at the deep end and see if they have talent over they haven't.

"There is a big difference between club and county and he has done it for his club and know we can see if he can do it for his county."

The match against Antrim will be first competitive fixture in the newly refurbished Athletic Grounds and McDonnell has thrown the gauntlet down to his players to make the city ground a fortress. "It is great to get back in the Athletic Grounds although it was always great playing in Crossmaglen. But I think the Athletic Grounds is a welcome change for many fans as it is more accessible to the north bf our county and it is our traditional home. "That said, we have got to make it a new traditional home because there are a lot of players that have never played in the Athletic Grounds.

Armagh Dr McKenna Cup Squad: Ronan Austin, Conor Clarke, Ronan Clarke, Brendan Donaghy, J Donnelly, Joe Feeney, Ryan Henderson, James Lavery, Malachy Mackin, Brian Mallon, Vincie Martin, Finnian Moriarity, Tony McClelland, Barry McDonald, Eugene McDonnell, Philip McEvoy, Ciaran McKeever, Paddy McKeever, Shane Ó Neill Aidan O'Rourke, Kevin O'Rourke, Martin O'Rourke, Micheal O'Rourke, Neil O'Rourke, Chris Rafferty, Paudie Rodgers, Barry Shannon, Gareth Smyth, Barry Toner and Kieran Toner.

corn02

When the U21 starting? Any word on the squad?

armagh leg-end

Quote from: corn02 on December 30, 2008, 01:18:20 PM

fridays irish news is supposed to have the squad!
Ard Mhacha Abu

corn02

Quote from: armagh leg-end on December 30, 2008, 02:36:11 PM
Quote from: corn02 on December 30, 2008, 01:18:20 PM

fridays irish news is supposed to have the squad!

Who can we expect to make an impact?

corn02

U21 squad in the paper today, very strong on paper.

corn02

Crossmaglen (6): K Carragher, J Clarke, S Finnegan, F Hanratty, R Kelly, P McKeown
Tullysaran (3): A Conlon, R Conlon, C Mullan
Carrickcruppen (2): S Harold, J Magill
Dromintee (2): S Carroll, R McCoy
Madden (2): K Grimley, D McKenna
Pearse Og (2): R Clarke, S Clarke
Tir na nÓg (2): J Donnelly, M McAllister
Whitecross (2): A McCann, M Shields
Wolfe Tone (2): M Carson, G O'Neill
Ballyhegan (1): J McKeever
Belleek (1): S McCreesh
Clan na Gael (1): R McGuinness
Granemore (1): K Toner
Harps (1): M McConville
Killeavey (1): B Magee
Lissummon (1): P Rodgers
Maghery (1): S Forker
St John's (1): R McParland
St Patrick's (1): K Hoey
Sarsfields (1): E McGeown
Shane O'Neill's (1): D Fearon
Silverbridge (1): G McGarvey

The GAA

If rico kelly is a county u21 i'm a dutchman - ruud gullit probably

corn02

Was a bit surprised myself, but haven't seen too much of him. What is young Hanratty like? Where is Feeney.

On my very limited knowledge, a possible first 15:

Rodgers
Finnegan Toner McKeown
Magee ? ?
Harold ?
McAlister Forker Clarke
Carragher Clarke McCoy

Don't know half the team, anyoine fill us in on the north contingent.

bennydorano

Unless I'm mistaken McConville from Harps and S CLarke from Ogs are both studying across the water and it'll be hard for either to fully commit?

Hank Everlast

A Conlon from Tullysaran has had an operation on his shoulder 4 weeks ago and wont be back training till mid April so i cant see him having much involvement either.

fitzroyalty

fitzroyalty

Saw on orchardcounty.com that there is talk of a new club being proposed in killean parish South Armagh, from what I gather it is to do with some disgruntled ex-killeavy member spear-heading the idea. Anyone hear anything about it? Personally I think Armagh has enough clubs, and a new one isn't viable, not least in a parish where a strong club already exists.