Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rootthemout

what happened to gregory loughran from ogs,thought he had the makings of a good footballer,kevin kelly from harps should have had a runout if only for his place kicking when on song as good as any in county.badly need a left footer that can kick 40-50 metre freesi know aronn is accurate from inside 35metres but not strong enough from 40-50metres

mackers

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 23, 2008, 03:45:32 PM
Ronan Austin (Clan Na Gael)
Conor Clarke (Pearse Og)
Ronan Clarke (Pearse Og)
Brendan Donaghy (Clonmore)
J P Donnelly (Pearse Og)
Joe Feeney (Madden)
Ryan Henderson (Clann Eireann)
James Lavery (Maghery)
Malachy Mackin (St Patrick’s)
Brian Mallon (Tir na nÓg)
Vincent Martin (Dromintee)
Finnian Moriarty (Wolfe Tone)
Tony McClelland (Granemore)
Barry McDonald (Tir na nÓg)
Eugene McDonnell (Keady)
Philip McElroy (Dromintee)
Ciaran McKeever (St Patrick’s)
Paddy McKeever (Ballyhegan)
Shane O’Neill (Dromintee)
Aidan O’Rourke (Dromintee)
Kevin O’Rourke (St Michael’s)
Martin O’Rourke (Dromintee)
Micheal O’Rourke (Dromintee)
Neil O’Rourke (St Michael’s)
Chris Rafferty (Pearse Og)
Paudie Rodgers (Lissummon)
Barry Shannon (Dromintee)
Gareth Smyth (Mullaghbawn)
Barry Toner (Granemore)
Kieran Toner (Granemore)

I suppose the squad is fairly as expected, with McKinney's absence the main surprise. There'd be a couple of players I'd know little about - Rafferty, McElroy, mcDonnell, Feeney. Is Neil O'Rourke a borther of Kevin's?

Glad to see Malachy Mackin back in the squad. After his club performances last year, its fully deserved.

I agree with Corn that henderson is one to watch - I saw him once last year playing for Armagh against Wexford at the opening of Clam Eireann's pitch and he was arguably the best player on the pitch. Albeit only a challenge match but hopefully he'll show some form. Woulda been nice to have had the likes of the McKeowns, Murtagh and McNamee from Cross available.

One thing I would sat, is that while obviously every player ont he panel should get their chance, I'd like to see the team backboned by established county players in the McKenna Cup eg Clarke, Donaghy, Aidan and Martin O'Rourke, Ciaran McKeever. No point in selected 12 / 13 debutants in one team as happened last year as that tends to leave the team lacking shape and direction and its very difficult for so many fellas to make the step up at the same time. Much better to have them playing alongside more established lads.
That's a point that I argued on after the McKenna Cup match against Derry last year. It was very unfair on the debutants that day playing against the like of Fergal Doherty without some experience down the backbone of the team. Nobody expects or indeed wants an experienced 15 put out in the Mckenna Cup but you have to be fair to the new lads too.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

corn02

Team I'd like for Antrim:

McEvoy

Finn Mo V Martin Smyth
Shannon McKeever B Donaghy
M Mackin Lavery
McClelland Brian Mallon Henderson
Kevin O Rourke Ronan Clarke  Michael O Rourke

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd like to see soemthing similar Corn, maybe along the lines of;

Rodgers / mcEvoy

Moriarty      K Toner      Smyth

Donaghy     McKeever     JP Donnelly

Mackin       Lavery

McClelland      Mallon        S O'Neill

Henderson     R Austin     Michael O'Rourke

Then the next week bring in the likes of Aidan and Martin O'Rourke, Paddy McKeever and Ronan Clarke to replace some of the more experienced players and give a few of the newer members of the panel a run as well.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

corn02

Completely forgot about Austin.  I would put him at ff as well.

Old Bill

T McClelland at WHF? ???
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 24, 2008, 11:42:16 AM
I'd like to see soemthing similar Corn, maybe along the lines of;

Rodgers / mcEvoy

Moriarty      K Toner      Smyth

Donaghy     McKeever     JP Donnelly

Mackin       Lavery

McClelland      Mallon        S O'Neill

Henderson     R Austin     Michael O'Rourke

Then the next week bring in the likes of Aidan and Martin O'Rourke, Paddy McKeever and Ronan Clarke to replace some of the more experienced players and give a few of the newer members of the panel a run as well.
Quote from: corn02 on December 24, 2008, 09:40:21 AM
Team I'd like for Antrim:

McEvoy

Finn Mo V Martin Smyth
Shannon McKeever B Donaghy
M Mackin Lavery
McClelland Brian Mallon Henderson
Kevin O Rourke Ronan Clarke  Michael O Rourke

IVEDECIDED

Quote from: corn02 on December 24, 2008, 11:49:58 AM
Completely forgot about Austin.  I would put him at ff as well.

I wouldnt hes f**king shit! ;D ;D ;D Prob good enough to get on that team yous have lined out though! But then 'illdecide' would prob feel hard done by not to be included on THAT TEAM! :D

charlie stubbs

corn dont think henderson have the "balls" to play half forward at this level  corner forward or in a 2 man ff line be his best position.  agree with the p[ost concerning mckeowns and mcnamee being part of the panel.  mickey especially as he has done alot more than the olike to shorty clarke over the last few years to warrant a place on the panel.  glad see martin get a chance to a man who has always had potential put no real luck with injuries

Square Ball

A bomb has been found near GAA premises in Armagh, the police have said.

It was found after police carried out another search in the Friary Road area of Armagh city, following a claim that a device was left there on 13 December.

Inspector Paul Fulham said the device could have caused serious injury. It has been removed for examination.

"This device could have caused serious harm and grief to members of the public, especially children who may have played in the area," he said.

"The people who left it have no regard for life and we do not want them in our society."

From the BBC

What club is this guys?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Square Ball on December 24, 2008, 03:11:00 PM
A bomb has been found near GAA premises in Armagh, the police have said.

It was found after police carried out another search in the Friary Road area of Armagh city, following a claim that a device was left there on 13 December.

Inspector Paul Fulham said the device could have caused serious injury. It has been removed for examination.

"This device could have caused serious harm and grief to members of the public, especially children who may have played in the area," he said.

"The people who left it have no regard for life and we do not want them in our society."

From rge BBC

What club is this guys?

Its the Athletic Grounds I think. Nobody hurt thankfully.

Throw ball

TAC. Drove past Athletic Grounds at about half one police were everywhere. On a more positive note I like a few options you have in defence. With Lavery back we have better options in midfield and I think in the long term Toner could prove to be our best full back - although we may need him elsewhere! Have always said that I think Donaghy is a natural half back and only does a good job at full back as he is a good footballer.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Throw ball on December 24, 2008, 03:56:19 PM
TAC. Drove past Athletic Grounds at about half one police were everywhere. On a more positive note I like a few options you have in defence. With Lavery back we have better options in midfield and I think in the long term Toner could prove to be our best full back - although we may need him elsewhere! Have always said that I think Donaghy is a natural half back and only does a good job at full back as he is a good footballer.

Have thought Toner was a very good full back since the 2007 u21 campaign when he played very well there.

A thought just struck me - where is Padraig Duffy of Pearse Ógs? Is he injured?  Be nice to see him back challenging for a spot in the half back line.

fitzroyalty

Why no Sarsfields men this year  ;D

AFS

:) ;D I love this time of year, when we can get back to talking purely about football. I wouldn't mind a team a bit like this:

Rodgers / McEvoy

Moriarty      K Toner      Rafferty

Donaghy     McKeever     McClelland

Mackin       Lavery

McDonnell      Mallon        C Clarke

Henderson     R Clarke     M O'Rourke Jr

Like the idea of Toner as the new long term FB. Donaghy's long term future is definitely in the half back line. Mackin deserves another go and Lavery should be given a rake of games to establish himself. Was extremely impressed with that guy McDonnell against Ulster a couple of months ago, he's a big lad too so he can help out around the middle. C Clarke and Micheal O'Rourke have been around the panel for a couple of years now and should be given at least a half dozen games between the McKenna cup and League to show if they're up to it. R Henderson and Tony McClelland are worth a look. Tried to keep at least one established head in each of the lines, and stuck with Clarkie at FF because, realistically, he's gonna be there for the next 4 or 5 years anyway so its best to see how the new CF options work out alongside him.

Real1995

Nice guys always finish second!