Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Not easy getting access corn. home for a week now though!

corn02

Another couple of development squads, another lack of Cross players?

BC what is the story here? I heard there was some fall-out, is that bullshit. It seems to be a regular occurence in development squads, maybe I am missing a seperate list?

mackers

Quote from: corn02 on November 20, 2008, 03:02:49 PM
Another couple of development squads, another lack of Cross players?

BC what is the story here? I heard there was some fall-out, is that bullshit. It seems to be a regular occurence in development squads, maybe I am missing a seperate list?
A Cross contact told me that Tim Gregory simply does not believe in them, he doesn't want to tell a lad of 14 or 15 that they don't make the cut. Fair enough, I suppose.
BC can confirm this, just what I heard.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

I don't know the ins and outs but I do know that they don't agree with them.  it doesn't seem to be affecting their development either not being involved, so why should they change the policy.

bennydorano

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 20, 2008, 03:27:03 PM
I don't know the ins and outs but I do know that they don't agree with them.  it doesn't seem to be affecting their development either not being involved, so why should they change the policy.
How do you assess it?? Almighty hammering in Co Minor Championship final, followed hot on the heels by another trimming by Keady in the ACML U16 final. 

I've seen players come back from these squads as better players as the coaching is generally of a higher standard available at most clubs, the down side is that young lads do tend to bring back inflated egos etc... with them too.

Whacker

Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2008, 04:02:35 PM
How do you assess it?? Almighty hammering in Co Minor Championship final, followed hot on the heels by another trimming by Keady in the ACML U16 final. 

I've seen players come back from these squads as better players as the coaching is generally of a higher standard available at most clubs, the down side is that young lads do tend to bring back inflated egos etc... with them too.

I think what BC is trying to say is that Gregory doesnt believe telling ANY lad at 14 or 15 that they are not good enough to make Development squads, the lad will then probably say well f**k you and turn on his heel and not play football!  I can see Gregorys point but I suppose looking at Tyrone more than anyone else, there is something to be said for Development Squads if carried out in the right process.

The GAA

Quote from: bennydorano on November 20, 2008, 04:02:35 PM

i would dispute this

bennydorano

As you are entitled to do, but like it or not development squads are by their nature 'elite' - in terms of players and the coaching - otherwise what is the point of them.

The GAA

I often ask that question. some of the lads who come back report "fitness sessions" with an array of ladders and speed poles round the field. i've gone along to watch a few and have yet to see any "coaching".

the only benefit i can see is that they are doing these drills and competing in the company of a higher standard of opponent

corn02

I suppose that is fair enough of Gregory alright. But the thing that annoys me is that these are not development squads, they are Armagh development squads. Surely pulling players out will be a loss to Armagh.

full back

Quote from: corn02 on November 20, 2008, 04:35:50 PM

I suppose that is fair enough of Gregory alright. But the thing that annoys me is that these are not development squads, they are Armagh development squads. Surely pulling players out will be a loss to Armagh.

It hasnt had much effect on the quality Cross provide to Armagh

brokencrossbar1

Benny, under age wins are grand and all that, but I am talking in terms of development as players for the real thing which is senior football.  Cross got to a minor final with a team with a core of players who were U16.  They were well beaten by yourselves and I was the first to congratulate the Harps for that, but no harm to you the Harps hardly have a great record of bringing young lads through from minor to senior.  For all the great underage teams they have produced in the last 10 years, they have failed miserably to bring it onto the senior level yet.  The same can be said for the Ogs.  In the same period, Cross have won 2 maybe 3 minor championships and maybe 2 u 21 championships. Out of those teams they have brought through a group of players who are playing in an  senior Ulster Final next week.  Of course the old heads are still the mainstays, but can you honestly say that when they go, which will be gradual, that Cross will all of a sudden stop winning?  We both know the answer to that.  

Underage championships are great, but it is how you develop players and coach them to bring out the best in them which is more important.  Cross underage training system has been working for the last 20 years.  If the Development squads are a better option than fine.  I personally have seen the Cross lad coached from they are 8 and they are trained at that age like we were trained as seniors so i think they will be ok

corn02

Quote from: full back on November 20, 2008, 04:40:53 PM
Quote from: corn02 on November 20, 2008, 04:35:50 PM

It hasnt had much effect on the quality Cross provide to Armagh

But that is exactly my point.I am assuming there are plenty of underage  Cross players good enough for these squads. Without them on board, the teams will be weaker. You should have the same boys are Armagh teams from underage right up like in Tyrone, it is not just about the seniors.

crossfire

The ulster club final between Cross and ballinderry is fixed for Sunday 30th Nov in Enniskillen at 3.45 which means that the second half will have to be played under lights.

What a ridiculous decision by the "caring" ulster council

thebandit

BC - I can understand the 'If its not broke dont fix it' attitude, but is there not something to be learned from exposing the underage players to external influences. I know Tim is against the development squads, but a good few people in Cross seem to think they would be a good idea.

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 20, 2008, 04:41:23 PM
Cross underage training system has been working for the last 20 years.

There can be very little doubt about that, but has football not changed somewhat in the intervening period? I know Cross have the results to back up any argument, but I do think the development squads are a fantastic idea.