Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Just to put this nonsense from goh to bed that he's not a cross man....

i thought you boys were all proud of your roots?

Quote from: goh4205 on October 06, 2008, 04:51:00 PM
Pints  you can make whatever assumption you like, I am only saying what I saw and what I was told. to say that intent is striking is false and push could be interpreted as a strike, but is it.
The person who told me about this is an x Harps player and someone with a very honest view, this was also his view on what I said about Kelly been a yap and was always lying down.  So if thats his opinion as a Harps man, then what do most Cross & neutrals think.

Quote from: goh4205 on October 06, 2008, 10:06:22 AM
I was at the game, but i was to far away from the incident to see properly.  but what in will say is the Harps peno what charing offence & the goal they got was clearly a push in the back by the no.15. adding to that John McEntee was clearly pushed out over the line which lead to the goal & Tony McEntee has a nice shiner for his troubles after been hit off the ball. Also when did it become legal to allow a 4 man tackle?  I lost count the amount of times Harps were allowed to get away with this.  As for the Francie incident I was talking to a mate who was right behind the goals and seem what happened, the No.13 had been goading Francie for most of the 2nd half and he locked arms with Francie trying to get him to pull him down to get him booked & Francie just pushed him away & he fell.  So the point is cross don't get it all there own way when it comes to refs. regarding a re-fixture if i were Harps I keep wondering of the what if, because if there was to be a reply they would get shown up bigtime as has happened in replays before.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 10, 2008, 10:46:16 AM
I've heard this alot over the years and if anyone is to blame for that incident it is Benny.  I was at that game and the ball he gave him had several blue lights on it. The ball was there to challenge for and Francie been Francie he went for the ball.  If you even go back to the Down game this year in clones when Danny Hughes & him clashed going for the ball, I was sitting right infront of this and at no time did Bellew take his eyes of the ball which meant if the man was in the way, well tough shit.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 05, 2008, 10:22:26 AM
Your views are probably what alot of others are thinking, however they do have a few decent lads on their.  a good friend of mine asked a tryone panelists what sort of a clown that Ricey was & his reply was "every county has one"  meaning he's a complete w**ker on and off the pitch.  As for Gormley I think he is a brilliant player that doesn't need to do the things he does.  He should have walked against Mayo for persistant fouling & then belting Mortimer in the back of the net.  Cowardly way to do it, but thats just the it is.
I was at the Dromore/Crossmaglen match last year in the Ulster club match and Ricey was giving McConville shit, I guess about the book, and when John McEntee got his chance he gave him a belt and he never opened his mouth the rest of the game.  So point been they will bully you if they think they'll get away with it. 

Quote from: goh4205 on May 13, 2008, 04:09:30 PM
God I really wanna stop talking about this but basically you know yourself and its clear to everyone else that when you asked "why did your number 14 kick the ball into the net 3-4 times after scoring" you didn't raise it as a valid question, which was proven by the fact that you answered your own question. It was a childish attempt to take the piss, and hardly an issue thats worth being raised on a discussion board.

Doctor who???? Is this really the height of your humour? The craic must be ninety in your house of a saturday night. BC1 are you not ashamed to be posting alongside such an idiot?

Quote from: goh4205 on May 13, 2008, 04:09:30 PMThe fact that you have to insult me totally explains my point, I guess if someone from my club acted like that tool did then I'd be out fighting to defend him, then again i wouldn't.   BC1 is well able to speak for himself and doesn't need any jibes from you with the attempt to drag him into it, you Dromintee boys should know all about fighting among yourself.

before you imply about me been from Cross, can i inform you I'm not. I was there seeing the great new hope we have from Dromintee among our ranks & to be frank I wasn't impressed.  He was shit scared of an former county lion whom he didn't dare challenge not even once, which says a lot for our selection policy.  We have loads of fringe players like him already who are nothing more than average club players.

Quote from: goh4205 on May 12, 2008, 10:45:26 PM
I thought that hanratty lad had super game from what i seen, he's a strong lad who could put it up to most midfielders in the county. infact the above mentioned who played yesterday were pretty quite it was the younger crop who made all the play, but it is probably insurance for the younger crop of players knowing that they have the lads above to fall back on.

Quote from: goh4205 on May 12, 2008, 10:38:54 PM
That must have been what it was BC1, funny cross scored 2 goals and non of the 2 lads who scored acted like that, but as you say since they don't often score points against cross, apart from the occassion you mention never mind goals he probably thought he was doctor who :D :D :D

Quote from: goh4205 on May 11, 2008, 05:18:46 PM
I went to this game thinking it could through up a fairly interesting challenge considering both teams were very under strength, but truthfully the class really showed in the first 5mins.  When you consider cross have 8 first team players away with Armagh the way they took off from the start it was like a whirl wind and Dromintee didn't know were to turn.  The score line could have been more if not for a brilliant save by the Dromintee keeper in both half's.  Cross looked extremely sharp or maybe the Dromintee lads just were very unfit.
Even with the Armagh connection, Dromintee face a mountain come championship time considering what cross have to come back in also.

Quote from: goh4205 on April 25, 2008, 07:27:12 PM
Quote from: doire na raithe on April 25, 2008, 06:40:14 PM
Health and safety reasons were stated by goh and others for the final being in cross. Why then, could somebody tell me were these so important rules allowed to slide for semi finals?

It's all to do with the expected crowd attending..  I know someone who knows the health & safety office who inspected the ground for the 2006 final when Dromintee kicked had reservations about home advantage and quite simply they were told that there was no other pitch in Armagh that could facilitate the expected crowd.  The options were Newry or Clones, which the county board wouldn't allow as it would have been seen as an embarrassment upon the county..

Quote from: goh4205 on March 24, 2008, 06:02:48 PM
I was at the 7's on Saturday and seen every game, apart from the Mullaghbawn/Ballymacnab game. I was right beside the Murtagh incident and to be fair he slammed the ball home from close range which the Clans keeper tried to dive at his feet, now weather Murtagh's boot caught him by accident or not I'm not sure, but there didn't seem to be any deliberate intention on Murtagh's behalf, there was a few words of verbal & the Clans keeper downed him. 

This all started in the first game when a clans player for no reason that i could see busted Tony Kernan of the ball, so I guess it was simmering from then.
The Ref was poor I have to admit, but he could have so easily sent off a few more, notably Marsden he was slapping McKeown anytime he got a chance & to be fair to McKeown he held his head & got on with it.  One thing I did notice though was that Marsden didn't happen to come back after Donal Murtagh had a go at him at a sideline ball & another when Donaldson clearly caught him with an upper cut, but I guess if it would have been anyone else he would having been looking to box, but for some reason he seemed to accept it from the 2 mentioned above (Perhaps he'd have been bitting off more than he could chew with any of these 2).

Barry O'Hagan is still a class player and should still be playing with Armagh.

Quote from: goh4205 on November 28, 2007, 05:01:16 AM
Firstly congratulation to Cross on a stunning performance on Sunday, from about 10 mins into the game they never looked like losing. As Milltown said they were the better team on the day in everyway, skill, determination & fitness.  I happened to be in Newry so I made my way to the ground pretty early and seen them come out for their warm up onto the back pitch and they were so precise even in that.   In all the drills they did during their warm up I counted only one ball drop. Beside me was a well known ex-Down county manager who commented that are as well drilled as any county team.  How do they get this continual focus  instilled into these lads when you consider that the age gaps between some of the players is quite a lot, is it the fact that the younger guys have so much respect for the likes of Oisin & the McEntees that they just do what is required or as they told.   BC maybe you could answer this.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 27, 2007, 03:53:29 PM
Lads,

you's can talk around the issue all day, but Winsamsoon is right, jealously is the only issue here. He's also right about the clans, they are the next most successful club in Armagh history, thats fact.

So for talk sake pints the bridge starting winning everything before them and the had a structure were they had 4/5 players coming through every year from minor etc.  after 4/5 years everybody would start hacking the shite out of you's and i bet you would like it.

Success breads contempt from other clubs, but you can't faulty cross for that

Quote from: goh4205 on August 26, 2007, 06:02:52 PM
I go to alot of armagh football, cause the louth football is shite basically.  Been to a few bridge games, but non of late, i must take one in soon so i can have a right pop at you then.
I would agree with you on your last post, but the difference most of the Dromintee boys didn't wanna know when it hotted up. I know the bridge & cross one's don't get on & maybe there is reasons for that which i don't know, but i find it staggering that so many negitives are posted about Cross when they are the most successful team ever in Armagh & probably Ireland and almost all of them posts are from within Armagh.  I think any county would be proud to have a club team as good as them.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 26, 2007, 05:25:06 PM
I was on the oppisite side to the stand and some of the verbals coming from the Dromintee supporters was just as bad.  The kernans for some reason seemed to come in for the most.

I thought the ref had a good game yesterday, he made his intentions clear fom the start that he wasn't gonna take any shit from anybody.  In saying that he did miss a few things,  the strike on Oisin in the first half, the strike on AK right in front of the lines man. The challenge from behind on SK which lead to him going off,  and the elbow on the cross no. 7 by AOR right at the end.  There was also a few rash challenge's by a few cross lads as well, which warrent a mention.
There was no way that Dromintee were able to live with the intensiity that Cross set, they seemed to keep pushing and moving at 100mph throughout the game.
Any body seem what happened in the first half when COR got his marching orders!

Quote from: goh4205 on August 21, 2007, 10:43:55 PM
Your a champ uladh, you probably never kicked a ball in your life, well at a competitive level anyway.  I would feel abit left out, but I'm not the only poster to notice wee jimmy's faults (which were plenty). if I was from cross I'd say it & be proud of it.

As for corn02 i wouldn't expect anything else from you, since your from Dromintee, but can you confirm that AOR told wee  jimmy to go f**k himself during the match, and when he called him back he said it again & followed it with (Don't annoy my f**k'in head) if that would have been anybody else from any other team it would have been a straight red, but it proves my point from an earlier post that wee Jimmy did have another motive, and was clear for all to see.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 19, 2007, 11:50:04 PM
Was at the Cross - Dromintee game and as a neutral I thought Jimmy McKee was a disgrace.  Marty O'Rourke should have got a straight red for his strike on the young corner back in the first half, but instead he give's marty's marker a yellow.

He also blew a cross half forward up i think for catching a clean kickout and then at the end he gives a fifty which never was & to top that of he  give Marty O'Rourke a free, when he should have blown for over carrying.

I hate picking out individuals, but Marty O'Rourke must be the biggest mouth in the country.  He was constinently at his marker trying to get him sent off and the dives he was getting away with was a joke.
If this is the best Ref in Armagh, he needs to look at himself in the mirror , it looked very clear to me that he was doing everything for Dromintee to snatch it.
If teams need the ref as well to beat cross then the standard outside cross must be pretty poor to say the least.

The most obvious quote to use is this one, when you lost the rag and admitted you were from cross...

A bit like the "Drive it home to them" that was liberally shouted when you beat us by 17 points that day a few years back.  You are right in one thing, it means fcuk all squared come championship, and I think Cross will know that better than most and not let a big win go to their heads.  I would reckon that only 3-4 of the Cross team from Sunday will pay championship against you anyway. 

As for the lad kicking it into the net after scoring the goal, jaysus give the lad a break, it's not everyday you score a goal against Cross, he must have been fierce proud of himself and overcome with emotion 

That must have been what it was BC1, funny cross scored 2 goals and non of the 2 lads who scored acted like that, but as you say since they don't often score points against cross, apart from the occassion you mention never mind goals he probably thought he was doctor who   

At this early stage in the season, how are things shaping out?  Does anyone look like making a serious concerted effort to break the Cross dominance?

corn02

Quote from: goh4205 on November 08, 2008, 12:53:16 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 07, 2008, 07:13:53 PM
AOR and McGrane would be well worth keeping on. Not so sure about Enda or Francie, both seemed to show the effects of injuries/age last year with their pace particularly affected.

Just an idea but if Francie goes and AOR stays on, could he be shifted back to full back? Although he might lack a bit of pace, AOR is a very clever player who always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I just wouldn't be so sure about Donaghy at full back yet, I'd rather see him nail down a CB or HB spot for a year or two before he'd be shifted into FB as its such a crucial position.
surely McDonald wouldn't allow that" oh sorry, sure he doesn't pick the team AOR does", as he would most defiantly be exposed.  I think there should be a complete clean out, and this would include Francie, AOR, MOR, Enda.  The only one of the elder players that has something to offer is McGrane.  At least then McDonald would be in charge and not certain individual/'s

Ah ppor pet, did Aidan hit you a slap on the field or something?

GAA fairly made a tit out of you by the way.  :D

umgolaarmagh

TAM - im thinking in a general view of club football in armagh

goh4205

Quote from: The GAA on November 09, 2008, 11:46:33 PM
Just to put this nonsense from goh to bed that he's not a cross man....

i thought you boys were all proud of your roots?

Quote from: goh4205 on October 06, 2008, 04:51:00 PM
Pints  you can make whatever assumption you like, I am only saying what I saw and what I was told. to say that intent is striking is false and push could be interpreted as a strike, but is it.
The person who told me about this is an x Harps player and someone with a very honest view, this was also his view on what I said about Kelly been a yap and was always lying down.  So if thats his opinion as a Harps man, then what do most Cross & neutrals think.

Quote from: goh4205 on October 06, 2008, 10:06:22 AM
I was at the game, but i was to far away from the incident to see properly.  but what in will say is the Harps peno what charing offence & the goal they got was clearly a push in the back by the no.15. adding to that John McEntee was clearly pushed out over the line which lead to the goal & Tony McEntee has a nice shiner for his troubles after been hit off the ball. Also when did it become legal to allow a 4 man tackle?  I lost count the amount of times Harps were allowed to get away with this.  As for the Francie incident I was talking to a mate who was right behind the goals and seem what happened, the No.13 had been goading Francie for most of the 2nd half and he locked arms with Francie trying to get him to pull him down to get him booked & Francie just pushed him away & he fell.  So the point is cross don't get it all there own way when it comes to refs. regarding a re-fixture if i were Harps I keep wondering of the what if, because if there was to be a reply they would get shown up bigtime as has happened in replays before.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 10, 2008, 10:46:16 AM
I've heard this alot over the years and if anyone is to blame for that incident it is Benny.  I was at that game and the ball he gave him had several blue lights on it. The ball was there to challenge for and Francie been Francie he went for the ball.  If you even go back to the Down game this year in clones when Danny Hughes & him clashed going for the ball, I was sitting right infront of this and at no time did Bellew take his eyes of the ball which meant if the man was in the way, well tough shit.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 05, 2008, 10:22:26 AM
Your views are probably what alot of others are thinking, however they do have a few decent lads on their.  a good friend of mine asked a tryone panelists what sort of a clown that Ricey was & his reply was "every county has one"  meaning he's a complete w**ker on and off the pitch.  As for Gormley I think he is a brilliant player that doesn't need to do the things he does.  He should have walked against Mayo for persistant fouling & then belting Mortimer in the back of the net.  Cowardly way to do it, but thats just the it is.
I was at the Dromore/Crossmaglen match last year in the Ulster club match and Ricey was giving McConville shit, I guess about the book, and when John McEntee got his chance he gave him a belt and he never opened his mouth the rest of the game.  So point been they will bully you if they think they'll get away with it. 

Quote from: goh4205 on May 13, 2008, 04:09:30 PM
God I really wanna stop talking about this but basically you know yourself and its clear to everyone else that when you asked "why did your number 14 kick the ball into the net 3-4 times after scoring" you didn't raise it as a valid question, which was proven by the fact that you answered your own question. It was a childish attempt to take the piss, and hardly an issue thats worth being raised on a discussion board.

Doctor who???? Is this really the height of your humour? The craic must be ninety in your house of a saturday night. BC1 are you not ashamed to be posting alongside such an idiot?

Quote from: goh4205 on May 13, 2008, 04:09:30 PMThe fact that you have to insult me totally explains my point, I guess if someone from my club acted like that tool did then I'd be out fighting to defend him, then again i wouldn't.   BC1 is well able to speak for himself and doesn't need any jibes from you with the attempt to drag him into it, you Dromintee boys should know all about fighting among yourself.

before you imply about me been from Cross, can i inform you I'm not. I was there seeing the great new hope we have from Dromintee among our ranks & to be frank I wasn't impressed.  He was shit scared of an former county lion whom he didn't dare challenge not even once, which says a lot for our selection policy.  We have loads of fringe players like him already who are nothing more than average club players.

Quote from: goh4205 on May 12, 2008, 10:45:26 PM
I thought that hanratty lad had super game from what i seen, he's a strong lad who could put it up to most midfielders in the county. infact the above mentioned who played yesterday were pretty quite it was the younger crop who made all the play, but it is probably insurance for the younger crop of players knowing that they have the lads above to fall back on.

That must have been what it was BC1, funny cross scored 2 goals and non of the 2 lads who scored acted like that, but as you say since they don't often score points against cross, apart from the occassion you mention never mind goals he probably thought he was doctor who :D :D :D

Quote from: goh4205 on May 11, 2008, 05:18:46 PM
I went to this game thinking it could through up a fairly interesting challenge considering both teams were very under strength, but truthfully the class really showed in the first 5mins.  When you consider cross have 8 first team players away with Armagh the way they took off from the start it was like a whirl wind and Dromintee didn't know were to turn.  The score line could have been more if not for a brilliant save by the Dromintee keeper in both half's.  Cross looked extremely sharp or maybe the Dromintee lads just were very unfit.
Even with the Armagh connection, Dromintee face a mountain come championship time considering what cross have to come back in also.

Quote from: goh4205 on April 25, 2008, 07:27:12 PM
Quote from: doire na raithe on April 25, 2008, 06:40:14 PM
Health and safety reasons were stated by goh and others for the final being in cross. Why then, could somebody tell me were these so important rules allowed to slide for semi finals?

It's all to do with the expected crowd attending..  I know someone who knows the health & safety office who inspected the ground for the 2006 final when Dromintee kicked had reservations about home advantage and quite simply they were told that there was no other pitch in Armagh that could facilitate the expected crowd.  The options were Newry or Clones, which the county board wouldn't allow as it would have been seen as an embarrassment upon the county..

Quote from: goh4205 on March 24, 2008, 06:02:48 PM
I was at the 7's on Saturday and seen every game, apart from the Mullaghbawn/Ballymacnab game. I was right beside the Murtagh incident and to be fair he slammed the ball home from close range which the Clans keeper tried to dive at his feet, now weather Murtagh's boot caught him by accident or not I'm not sure, but there didn't seem to be any deliberate intention on Murtagh's behalf, there was a few words of verbal & the Clans keeper downed him. 

This all started in the first game when a clans player for no reason that i could see busted Tony Kernan of the ball, so I guess it was simmering from then.
The Ref was poor I have to admit, but he could have so easily sent off a few more, notably Marsden he was slapping McKeown anytime he got a chance & to be fair to McKeown he held his head & got on with it.  One thing I did notice though was that Marsden didn't happen to come back after Donal Murtagh had a go at him at a sideline ball & another when Donaldson clearly caught him with an upper cut, but I guess if it would have been anyone else he would having been looking to box, but for some reason he seemed to accept it from the 2 mentioned above (Perhaps he'd have been bitting off more than he could chew with any of these 2).

Barry O'Hagan is still a class player and should still be playing with Armagh.

Quote from: goh4205 on November 28, 2007, 05:01:16 AM
Firstly congratulation to Cross on a stunning performance on Sunday, from about 10 mins into the game they never looked like losing. As Milltown said they were the better team on the day in everyway, skill, determination & fitness.  I happened to be in Newry so I made my way to the ground pretty early and seen them come out for their warm up onto the back pitch and they were so precise even in that.   In all the drills they did during their warm up I counted only one ball drop. Beside me was a well known ex-Down county manager who commented that are as well drilled as any county team.  How do they get this continual focus  instilled into these lads when you consider that the age gaps between some of the players is quite a lot, is it the fact that the younger guys have so much respect for the likes of Oisin & the McEntees that they just do what is required or as they told.   BC maybe you could answer this.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 27, 2007, 03:53:29 PM
Lads,

you's can talk around the issue all day, but Winsamsoon is right, jealously is the only issue here. He's also right about the clans, they are the next most successful club in Armagh history, thats fact.

So for talk sake pints the bridge starting winning everything before them and the had a structure were they had 4/5 players coming through every year from minor etc.  after 4/5 years everybody would start hacking the shite out of you's and i bet you would like it.

Success breads contempt from other clubs, but you can't faulty cross for that

Quote from: goh4205 on August 26, 2007, 06:02:52 PM
I go to alot of armagh football, cause the louth football is shite basically.  Been to a few bridge games, but non of late, i must take one in soon so i can have a right pop at you then.
I would agree with you on your last post, but the difference most of the Dromintee boys didn't wanna know when it hotted up. I know the bridge & cross one's don't get on & maybe there is reasons for that which i don't know, but i find it staggering that so many negitives are posted about Cross when they are the most successful team ever in Armagh & probably Ireland and almost all of them posts are from within Armagh.  I think any county would be proud to have a club team as good as them.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 26, 2007, 05:25:06 PM
I was on the oppisite side to the stand and some of the verbals coming from the Dromintee supporters was just as bad.  The kernans for some reason seemed to come in for the most.

I thought the ref had a good game yesterday, he made his intentions clear fom the start that he wasn't gonna take any shit from anybody.  In saying that he did miss a few things,  the strike on Oisin in the first half, the strike on AK right in front of the lines man. The challenge from behind on SK which lead to him going off,  and the elbow on the cross no. 7 by AOR right at the end.  There was also a few rash challenge's by a few cross lads as well, which warrent a mention.
There was no way that Dromintee were able to live with the intensiity that Cross set, they seemed to keep pushing and moving at 100mph throughout the game.
Any body seem what happened in the first half when COR got his marching orders!

Quote from: goh4205 on August 21, 2007, 10:43:55 PM
Your a champ uladh, you probably never kicked a ball in your life, well at a competitive level anyway.  I would feel abit left out, but I'm not the only poster to notice wee jimmy's faults (which were plenty). if I was from cross I'd say it & be proud of it.

As for corn02 i wouldn't expect anything else from you, since your from Dromintee, but can you confirm that AOR told wee  jimmy to go f**k himself during the match, and when he called him back he said it again & followed it with (Don't annoy my f**k'in head) if that would have been anybody else from any other team it would have been a straight red, but it proves my point from an earlier post that wee Jimmy did have another motive, and was clear for all to see.

Quote from: goh4205 on August 19, 2007, 11:50:04 PM
Was at the Cross - Dromintee game and as a neutral I thought Jimmy McKee was a disgrace.  Marty O'Rourke should have got a straight red for his strike on the young corner back in the first half, but instead he give's marty's marker a yellow.

He also blew a cross half forward up i think for catching a clean kickout and then at the end he gives a fifty which never was & to top that of he  give Marty O'Rourke a free, when he should have blown for over carrying.

I hate picking out individuals, but Marty O'Rourke must be the biggest mouth in the country.  He was constinently at his marker trying to get him sent off and the dives he was getting away with was a joke.
If this is the best Ref in Armagh, he needs to look at himself in the mirror , it looked very clear to me that he was doing everything for Dromintee to snatch it.
If teams need the ref as well to beat cross then the standard outside cross must be pretty poor to say the least.

The most obvious quote to use is this one, when you lost the rag and admitted you were from cross...

A bit like the "Drive it home to them" that was liberally shouted when you beat us by 17 points that day a few years back.  You are right in one thing, it means fcuk all squared come championship, and I think Cross will know that better than most and not let a big win go to their heads.  I would reckon that only 3-4 of the Cross team from Sunday will pay championship against you anyway. 

As for the lad kicking it into the net after scoring the goal, jaysus give the lad a break, it's not everyday you score a goal against Cross, he must have been fierce proud of himself and overcome with emotion 

That must have been what it was BC1, funny cross scored 2 goals and non of the 2 lads who scored acted like that, but as you say since they don't often score points against cross, apart from the occassion you mention never mind goals he probably thought he was doctor who   

At this early stage in the season, how are things shaping out?  Does anyone look like making a serious concerted effort to break the Cross dominance?

f**k your a sad kid alrite, since you've taken the time to go through everything, what have i said which would be concluded as negitive toward Armagh. As for my post on mostly Cross games, I don't really bother writing about other teams as they aren't worth commenting on to be truthful. i think i recall quite a few negative posts from you, about you recently, but i won't even bother going through to find them, I'd be at your level them, which isn't that high.
As for you corn, comments regarding AOR giving me a belt, no he didn't.  I've nothing against Aidan and was a great player, but at inter county level he hasn't the pace anymore, infact he was the best player ever i seen to mark Dooher and always got the better of him in my opinion. It seems here that when you comment on a player, it's taken as a personal attack by his fellow club mates.  Don't worry TheGAA, I won't be commenting on any of yours? :D :D :D

winsamsoon

GOh i made the point about O' Rourke and his lack of pace last year and in the end the point was proven against wexford. When he was badly exposed for his pace (not the only one i may add)

A clear out is required for the county team to progress, The time has come to bring in the younger lads. Believe it or not Armagh would actually be a very young side but you would have the likes of Clarke, Mallon Mc Donnell and others that although still young enough have bags of experience. Peters job now is to find that happy medium and no disrespect to Martin but the game now is too fast for him at intercounty level IMHO.

Umgool, In response to your question about the cullyhanna result i think the answer is pretty obvious it simply means the rest of the clubs in Armagh are of a pretty average standard. If you compare the other clubs in Armagh to say Derry and Tyrone then the gap is significantly wide. If not for Cross we would probably be at the same grade as Monaghan or Cavan (modern day) ie where we could hold our own against other average teams but never really challenge for the big honours.Most Derry and Tyrone teams would beat Armagh teams in competitive competition with the exeptions of Cross.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

corn02

It's simple - play with one withdrawn half-back instead of two.

full back

Quote from: winsamsoon on November 10, 2008, 11:05:59 AM
Peters job now is to find that happy medium and no disrespect to Martin but the game now is too fast for him at intercounty level IMHO.

Martin O'Rourke??
Do you mean someone else, IMHO he is still well fit for county football

goh4205

Quote from: corn02 on November 10, 2008, 11:18:20 AM
Corn, thats the way it was this year, you had AK and C McKeever trying to get forward and then get back to cover for Aidan and as mentioned above thats what exposed armagh against a fast team.  It's ok to play that type of system in NL, but championship football has moved on i'm afraid.
I agree with fullback on MOR, he's a real battler and wins loads of breaking ball more than any other current forward they have. "hope that didn't sound to negative"

corn02

Quote from: goh4205 on November 10, 2008, 11:38:03 AM
Quote from: corn02 on November 10, 2008, 11:18:20 AM
Corn, thats the way it was this year, you had AK and C McKeever trying to get forward and then get back to cover for Aidan and as mentioned above thats what exposed armagh against a fast team.  It's ok to play that type of system in NL, but championship football has moved on i'm afraid.
I agree with fullback on MOR, he's a real battler and wins loads of breaking ball more than any other current forward they have. "hope that didn't sound to negative"

No it wasn't. Vernon and MOR both played withdrawn roles. AOR wasn't caught for pace at all this year, I don't know were that is coming from, please give examples. McKeever hardly crossed the halfway line after the Cavan match.

Aghdavoyle

i'll have to stick up for my clubmen here... someone should name one example against wexford when aor was caught for pace - just one. mor is vital to armagh and anyone who thinks either o'rourke lacks pace doesn't know them at all.

bennydorano

I would have a problem with the role AOR has moreso than the player himself, although he is getting no younger or faster.  I recall saying early last spring that AOR's role in the team was a luxury, that would be exposed by better teams - ultimately it wasn't exposed by a better team, but by our own sh1t tactics.  I would like to see  a move towards a more positive type of football, and I dont think we can do that by playing AOR in the same role as this year.

I hope some of the older players move on, but the utterings of Enda McNulty in the papers and the lure of playing Tyrone would suggest otherwise. McGrane should still be good for a contribution, I thought this year's County championship exposed Bellew badly.  Time to bite the bullet and rebuild properly.

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on November 10, 2008, 12:10:02 PM
I would have a problem with the role AOR has moreso than the player himself, although he is getting no younger or faster.  I recall saying early last spring that AOR's role in the team was a luxury, that would be exposed by better teams - ultimately it wasn't exposed by a better team, but by our own sh1t tactics.  I would like to see  a move towards a more positive type of football, and I dont think we can do that by playing AOR in the same role as this year.

I hope some of the older players move on, but the utterings of Enda McNulty in the papers and the lure of playing Tyrone would suggest otherwise. McGrane should still be good for a contribution, I thought this year's County championship exposed Bellew badly.  Time to bite the bullet and rebuild properly.

See rational, evidence-based reasoning. I agree re: playing Aidan in that role but I think he should be deployed as a orthodox CHB, Geezer was never the quickest either. I would also swap Vernon and AK and keep MOR withdrawn. Therefore your defnce and midfeild are protected and you play with five forwards instead of four.

The same team will be around next year and very few will be gone. League will have added signifance this year - romotion is a must.

winsamsoon

There was a major difference in Geezer and Aidan O'Rourke. Geezer was put there for his stopping ability. His hard hitting and his tackling, so as anyone coming down the middle at the Armagh team knew what they would be getting. Aidan O'Rourke wouldn't be the physical enough to do this job.Therefore the obvious centre half back is Mc Keever. Aidan O' Rourke is there to start the attacks from deep and his main strength is his distribution of the ball. He could pick a man out with a pin point (something Mc Geeney struggled with). Some of you lads are asking for examples of when he got caught for pace. When we say he was caught for pace we don't mean that someone out ran him. But if you look at the two Fermangh games and to a lesser extent the Wexford game. Where you had smaller nippier forwards that were able to bypass the likes of O'Rourke and he was exposed. He has been a great servant but he should now move over as should enda and let the younger lads come through.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

full back

Quote from: winsamsoon on November 10, 2008, 02:14:01 PM
There was a major difference in Geezer and Martin O'Rourke. Geezer was put there for his stopping ability. His hard hitting and his tackling, so as anyone coming down the middle at the Armagh team knew what they would be getting. Martin O'Rourke wouldn't be the physical enough to do this job.Therefore the obvious centre half back is Mc Keever. Martin O' Rourke is there to start the attacks from deep and his main strength is his distribution of the ball. He could pick a man out with a pin point (something Mc Geeney struggled with). Some of you lads are asking for examples of when he got caught for pace. When we say he was caught for pace we don't mean that someone out ran him. But if you look at the two Fermangh games and to a lesser extent the Wexford game. Where you had smaller nippier forwards that were able to bypass the likes of O'Rourke and he was exposed. He has been a great servant but he should now move over as should enda and let the younger lads come through.

Why are we talking about Martin O 'Rourke ???
Do you know the CHB wasnt Martin winsam?

Final Whistle

IMO Ger Reid's the ideal candidate to shore up the Armagh defence.