Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Quote from: bennydorano on October 22, 2008, 09:28:56 AM
Motions for the Armagh Co Convention (15th December) have to be with the Co Board by 14th November.  Seems like they dont want any motions as there'll be hardly any AGM's convened before the 14th November.

Anything interesting or useful likely to come up?

bennydorano

No idea. few on here were discussing aligning rejigged leagues with champs like Tyrone - D1/Senior, D2/Int and D3/Junior.

Uladh

playoffs for relegation may be a partial solution for teams being punished for providing the county with players?

bennydorano

Aye should be something, dont want to whinge about it, but I dont think we would have went down if we had've had our county men available (like the Ogs & Clans in the not too distant past). 

corn02

There has to be a happy-medium, has anyone seen the system in place in Down, a fooking disaster - but in principal a good idea. Basically if you have not got a third of the points of the team that wins the league, you go into a relegation play-off. Means teams can no longer win no matches ina season and survive through the play-offs, but causes more hassles than it's worth.

What I would like to see is bottom team goes straight down, and then two teams above them play-off and the loser also goes down. Not much difference, but might make some games more interesting. Also, not many clubs are not affected by losing county men. I think only Mulaghbawn have no county men in division one?

The Div/1 senior, Div2/int will be flawed unless county players get more league games. For example Harps/Clans/Ogs have went down, while Dromintee have flirted with relegation in four years. Four senior championship teams, who, if the system was upgraded, would be forced to play intermediate.

full back

If I remember correctly there was a play off system in place a few years ago, similar to the 1 down & next 2 play-off, think it was dropped after 1 year.
It didnt make much difference in many of the divisions

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: full back on October 22, 2008, 01:45:36 PM
If I remember correctly there was a play off system in place a few years ago, similar to the 1 down & next 2 play-off, think it was dropped after 1 year.

Made a huge difference for us. Without the playoff system we'd have spent last year in division 3.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

The clans only had one representative on the county panel this year and if memory serves me correctly he was never at any seniro championship games only national league. That was Ronan Austin.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

corn02

Ok so Clans and Mullaghbawn, but if you go through the rest of the teams, every team is significantly weakened as their hub is removed by county football.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: full back on October 22, 2008, 01:45:36 PM

Sarsfields would beg to differ

Onion Bag

Whats the story for Steven Kernan, is he injured or simply not getting on
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

AFS

I'd find it very hard to believe a fully fit Stephen Kernan wouldn't make it onto that Cross team.

bennydorano

Quote from: corn02 on October 22, 2008, 02:03:14 PM
Ok so Clans and Mullaghbawn, but if you go through the rest of the teams, every team is significantly weakened as their hub is removed by county football.
dont know about that at all.  Cullyhanna (1) Cullaville (0) Mullaghbawn (0) Maghery (1)

Harps, Ogs & Dromintee bear the brunt (although us only recently), Cross here as well obviously, but they seem to manage ok :P

corn02

When I think of Cullyhanna I always include Mackin, my mistake. Maghery have two - Forker and Lavery. Other than tht you have just made my post look stupid.  :P

AFS - I believe it happened last year or the year before, he couldn't get on the first 15. I think he is injured this year though.

crossfire

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 20, 2008, 10:29:42 AM
Yesterday's programme said that the game yesterday was John Mac's 33rd championship final - that is some going.  BC (or anyone else) can you name them?

If only Cross had the Harps midifeld diamond.............

I checked the player profiles in the 2007 final programme and adding the couple of titles they have won since the Mc Entees have won 13 Armagh senior titles, 5 under 21's, 1 minor, 1 under 16, 6 Ulster and 4 all Irelands. Thats 30 winning finals they have played in for Cross, quite a haul.
Dont know where your man got 33 from but they could have played in losing finals at under age level.
I will try to check it out