Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: MOJO on October 18, 2008, 07:20:18 PM
Firstly I would like to congratulate Cullyhanna on winning today, credit where credit is due, but surely the last comment reinforces the fact that the Armagh Intermediate Championship is NOT Actually the Armagh Intermediate Championship. Today we had a final with 2 Divison one sides competing, while tomorrows SENIOR final sees another 2 Division One sides! Surely, for the good of Armagh Club Football, we must have a league system whereby your final league standing decides what Championship you play in the following year ie Top 16 compete for the Senior Championship, Next 16 compete for the Intermediate etc, only then can we expect to have meaningful competitions. I'm quite sure this is a proposal that will receive alot of support from all Junior & Intermediate Clubs, as it will potentially do away with the possible pairing of a Divison 1 Side (St.Pat's Cullyhanna, Culloville) and Division 4 sides (In 2009 - Cross 2nds, and if they had of won this years Junior, Grange). Action is needed to address these unbalance's in our Championship's. Any thoughts?
I've argued the above plenty of times on this thread, the armagh system makes absoloutely no sense. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

It would be the sensible way to proceed.  It would probably have to go to the Co Board AGM, so get your proposals in at your club AGM's!

AFS

Quote from: Onion Bag on October 18, 2008, 07:26:53 PM
Couldnt agree more mojo, Tyrone have the 3 league divisions and they are the 3 championships, thats the way it should be done, and do away with the 4th, each team will have more games to play, and also it should give teams with county players a chance to play some off their games with these players involved becasue the season will be longer.

Dunno if 3 divisions is the way to go. That would leave about 15 clubs in each division meaning that there'd be in the region of 30 league games to play a year, which would be a disaster. Some teams like Keady and Middletown would nearly need two years to complete one season's worth of league games at their current rate of going. 4 divisions is probably about right in terms of numbers of games to play.

On the championship, how about splitting the senior, inter and junior into the three 16s (give or take a couple in the junior) by using a UEFA coefficient points type system, where you could seed teams at the start of each championship based on league and championship performances over the previous 3 or 5 years?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on October 18, 2008, 08:27:32 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on October 18, 2008, 07:26:53 PM
Couldnt agree more mojo, Tyrone have the 3 league divisions and they are the 3 championships, thats the way it should be done, and do away with the 4th, each team will have more games to play, and also it should give teams with county players a chance to play some off their games with these players involved becasue the season will be longer.

Dunno if 3 divisions is the way to go. That would leave about 15 clubs in each division meaning that there'd be in the region of 30 league games to play a year, which would be a disaster. Some teams like Keady and Middletown would nearly need two years to complete one season's worth of league games at their current rate of going. 4 divisions is probably about right in terms of numbers of games to play.

On the championship, how about splitting the senior, inter and junior into the three 16s (give or take a couple in the junior) by using a UEFA coefficient points type system, where you could seed teams at the start of each championship based on league and championship performances over the previous 3 or 5 years?

Don't see the need to complicate it AFS. League positions is the fairest way to do it and everybody knows exactly what you have to do to get promoted or remain in the same grade.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AFS

Yeah, getting it as uncomplicated as possible would be ideal but there are a couple of potential problems if its just based on league position. Firstly, things would get complicated if a team wins their championship but finishes well down the league table. Then there'll also be several clubs that will argue that their league position doesn't accurately reflect their ability because they've had to play most of the league without their county players.

I suppose the only reason I suggest the kinda complicated format was because it would ensure that the best 16 teams, based on all round performance, would compete for the top prize, then the next best 16 would tackle the intermediate, and so on. The fact that it would be based on combined league and championship performance would mean that no one could argue that team X should/ shouldn't be competing in a certain championship because they are too good/ aren't good enough, which is the crux of the problem at the minute.

Yes I Would

Poor affair in Armagh today.
Pats dominated from start to finish, and Culloville challenge faded very early.
Mal Mackin looked to be in decent shape around the middle while their half back line picked up all the breaks.
Two final defeats in a row must be a bitter pill to swallow for the men from Cullovile

winsamsoon

lads are them time correct minor game 1:45 throw in and senior game 4:00?? If so why is there so big of a gap. Perhaps to make room in the changing rooms??
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: winsamsoon on October 19, 2008, 11:35:01 AM
lads are them time correct minor game 1:45 throw in and senior game 4:00?? If so why is there so big of a gap. Perhaps to make room in the changing rooms??

Leaving the ground at yesterday's Intermediate final the PA system announced that the minor game was on at 2pm today.

bennydorano

winsamsoon

bennydorano

yes.  Nice wait in the wind & rain.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

winsamsoon

Agree there lads again it comes down to planning. They could have at least got a few skimpy dressed cheerleaders whilst we wait

The GAA

I'm going to newry - couldn't be arsed with waiting around between games - does my head in

Handy

Is the Cross v Ogs match on TG4?