Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy

Quote from: goh4205 on October 06, 2008, 12:31:41 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2008, 10:28:25 AM
Quote from: goh4205 on October 06, 2008, 10:06:22 AM
 As for the Francie incident I was talking to a mate who was right behind the goals and seem what happened, the No.13 had been goading Francie for most of the 2nd half and he locked arms with Francie trying to get him to pull him down to get him booked & Francie just pushed him away & he fell.  

There's video evidence to the contrary friendo.  Goading?  If you knew the fella you'd realise how laughable that is.  Hate to drop to pettiness but maybe the fact that Bellew never won a ball all day was frustrating him.

Benny  I'm not taking any side I just pointed out some of the stuff I saw. Corn is probably right it sort of evens itself out in the end. What I will say about that lad kelly is, I was talking to a friend this morning who was/is close to the Harps and he said he was a yap!!   He was right beside were it happened and in no way did Bellew strike him with intent, all he tried to do was get kelly off him.

I saw the incident so I am not going on hearsay - Francie knew exactly what he was doing, he should of been given a straight red but the umpire shit himself!

Donners

Throw ball

Went to both matches yesterday. A few observations:-
1. Ogs v Killeavy. Never thought Ogs were in real bother. Ronan Clarke played very well and his brother JJ looked a real player when he came on, although a little selfish. Why do Killeavy insist on playing Stevie in MidField. What a waste of scoring talent.
2. Harps v Cross. Good game with an exciting finish. Always thought that Cross looked as if they could step up a gear, but they never did. Was at the Dalton Road end so got to see most of the controversal incidents. Thought the Cross penalty was a penalty but that the Full Back should have got a free out before that. Quigley also pushed a defender on his way to scoring his goal. Francie should have been sent off. I thought the referee had lost his cards. Twice Francie pulled the forward down when he had him beaten. He should have had a yellow at the very least. As regards the incident with Kelly I thought as the ball was being played in Francie was holding Kelly back by the arm (could have been a pen) Kelly tried to pull his arm away to get past. In the tussle I definitely think Francie caught Kelly and would have warranted a yellow (the second I think he should have got) rather than a red. How Kelly got the telling off I do not know. The incident was in my opinion similar to when Tony McEntee got caught. As regards the final free I had a very good view. Quigley hit an excellent free but it was stopped by a defender on the line. The whistle was then blown. Match over.
Thought John Mac, Jamie Clarke and Tony Kernan were excellent for cross. For the Harps Gill at full back was very assured, Morrison played well at full forward as did Quigley. After his missed pen and frees Kelly showed great Character to play very well in the second half. However, my man of the match was Swift. If he played like that for Armagh he would never be off the team.
3. Other points.
The ground looked very well. However, some parents will need to look after their children a bit better. The County Board will also need to put some yellow tape or something on the barriers. I saw a young Cross fan run straight into a barrier and suffer a bad cut. ( well done to those who went to his aid also) Finally, I hope that fool who went for the Harps player after the game gets taken to task. Also hope it does not mean we need higher barriers around the pitch. Good to see Aaron Kernan trying to sort it out.

bubbles

was at both matches myself.

The ogs as already pointed out were not in trouble at any stage in this match. when killeavy looked like they were getting back into it ogs just tagged on another score. they will have to improve on their shooting though if they are to have a chance at winning the title. think their defence is very good. all good footballers who can get out in front and also carry the ball.

The harps were unlucky in my view. they gave a good account of themselves in the second half. cross just shaded it and deserved their victory although it does seem that the officials favour them on occasions.

I believe that the best 2 teams in the county are now contesting the county final and it should be a cracker. both teams will need to improve from their last performance and at this stage you also need a little luck.

pintsofguinness

Goh - this morning
QuoteAs for the Francie incident I was talking to a mate who was right behind the goals and seem what happened, the No.13 had been goading Francie for most of the 2nd half and he locked arms with Francie trying to get him to pull him down to get him booked & Francie just pushed him away & he fell.

Goh - later this morning
QuoteBenny  I'm not taking any side I just pointed out some of the stuff I saw. Corn is probably right it sort of evens itself out in the end. What I will say about that lad kelly is, I was talking to a friend this morning who was/is close to the Harps and he said he was a yap!!   He was right beside were it happened and in no way did Bellew strike him with intent, all he tried to do was get kelly off him.

The first post suggests that kelly was goading Francie, Francie pushed him away and Kelly dived.  However your second  (by the way you haven't pointed out anything you saw you're relying on a "mate's" version of events) suggests that Bellew struck but not with intent  ???  Which is it?
Oh and Kelly is a yap?  What has that got to do with anything, what relevance has that?

C'mon GOH I think you're a better poster than that.

Berf
QuoteThe level of bias towards cross in the county is unbelievable, actually it must be a Sth Armagh thing, because the Ogs got nothing from the ref in the previous game.
FFS don't start that shite.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Quote from: bubbles on October 06, 2008, 02:33:24 PM

I believe that the best 2 teams in the county are now contesting the county final and it should be a cracker. both teams will need to improve from their last performance and at this stage you also need a little luck.

Very debatable bubbles, the Ogs should take confidence from the games yesterday but not get carried away. I dont think the Ogs are any better than the Harps or Dromintee and are contesting their second county final in a row without having played either Dromintee, Clans or Harps in that 2 year championship period.  I'd dare most of these teams would have made the Co finals with the draws the Ogs have had these last 2 seasons.

bubbles

im going on the league table as well. the ogs came second in the league the past 2 seasons as well as the 2 county finals.

everyone has their opinion i suppose. dont want to get into an argument of whose the second best team.

should be a good game and hope the ogs win it as it will give all the other teams in the county a huge lift

pintsofguinness

Quoteshould be a good game and hope the ogs win it as it will give all the other teams in the county a huge lift
I think the worrying thing from a Cross point of view is that the Ogs have seen cross rattled yesterday and are probably (or should be) confident they can do the same.

winsamsoon

Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2008, 03:31:17 PM
Quote from: bubbles on October 06, 2008, 02:33:24 PM

Very debatable bubbles, the Ogs should take confidence from the games yesterday but not get carried away. I dont think the Ogs are any better than the Harps or Dromintee and are contesting their second county final in a row without having played either Dromintee, Clans or Harps in that 2 year championship period.  I'd dare most of these teams would have made the Co finals with the draws the Ogs have had these last 2 seasons.

I would tend to agree with bubles here benny. No one will debate top spot in the county but i think og's would just shade it now at number two. Whilst i admit the ogs would find it more difficult to beat the harps and Dromintee for example. I think they would still have came through these games. But i take on board what you are saying Benny about an easier draw. But as i say i think in terms of a solid team to challenge cross i think the og's are as close as we shall get.

Wasn't at the games yesterday but listened to them and from all those unbias posts :D ;) that have been put on here today. I have came to the conclusion that Harps were very unlucky and the og's won handy enough. Fair play to the Harps, the Cross destroyed us in the quarters and Harps after being relegated and all could have fallen the same way. But fair play to them they came out and gave it a rattle and in many ways have restored a bit of hope back in other teams. I would say yesterdays result has given the Og's a confidence boast ahead of the final. (Though if the harps thought this, they probably wouldn't have done this favour for the og's)  ;). I would think the og's would be confident if they were to meet the harps in the championship and seeing the Harps run Cross so close yesterday it will give them an extra edge.

But once again well done to the Cross (for an outstanding record that will never be beaten) and the Ogs who are bound to be hurting from last year. Good luck to both in the final.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

bennydorano

Dont want to get into a 2nd best team argument either, but I'd still say Dromintee are and firmly believe they would have won at least an Ulster if they'd had've gotten past Cross on any ocassion.

I would be delighted if the Ogs beat Cross, not out of love for them, just time for a change and bit of new impetus in Armagh club football.

corn02

Surely Harps will come back up. I have seen Kelly play anumber of imes before and even marked him at minor - yet to see him "yap".

goh4205

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 06, 2008, 03:02:17 PM
Goh - this morning
QuoteAs for the Francie incident I was talking to a mate who was right behind the goals and seem what happened, the No.13 had been goading Francie for most of the 2nd half and he locked arms with Francie trying to get him to pull him down to get him booked & Francie just pushed him away & he fell.

Goh - later this morning
QuoteBenny  I'm not taking any side I just pointed out some of the stuff I saw. Corn is probably right it sort of evens itself out in the end. What I will say about that lad kelly is, I was talking to a friend this morning who was/is close to the Harps and he said he was a yap!!   He was right beside were it happened and in no way did Bellew strike him with intent, all he tried to do was get kelly off him.

The first post suggests that kelly was goading Francie, Francie pushed him away and Kelly dived.  However your second  (by the way you haven't pointed out anything you saw you're relying on a "mate's" version of events) suggests that Bellew struck but not with intent  ???  Which is it?
Oh and Kelly is a yap?  What has that got to do with anything, what relevance has that?

C'mon GOH I think you're a better poster than that.

Berf
QuoteThe level of bias towards cross in the county is unbelievable, actually it must be a Sth Armagh thing, because the Ogs got nothing from the ref in the previous game.
FFS don't start that shite.

Pints  you can make whatever assumption you like, I am only saying what I saw and what I was told. to say that intent is striking is false and push could be interpreted as a strike, but is it.
The person who told me about this is an x Harps player and someone with a very honest view, this was also his view on what I said about Kelly been a yap and was always lying down.  So if thats his opinion as a Harps man, then what do most Cross & neutrals think.

pintsofguinness

goh
QuotePints  you can make whatever assumption you like, I am only saying what I saw and what I was told. to say that intent is striking is false and push could be interpreted as a strike, but is it.
The person who told me about this is an x Harps player and someone with a very honest view, this was also his view on what I said about Kelly been a yap and was always lying down.  So if thats his opinion as a Harps man, then what do most Cross & neutrals think.
Did you see it or are you hearign this from someone else though?
The lad has a black eye, he didnt get that from a shove.  Whether there was intent or not is another thing but it's clear he got an elbow in the face and if you or me got Bellew's elbow in our face we'd lie down too!

brokencrossbar1

T'internet is great and I was able to "watch" the game through the eloquent tone of the bouncy man Damian.  It was interesting to say the least!  Great credit must go to FiveFM as exiles like me can heard top class commentary of top class games!

The game itself from listening and reading between the lines was a strange one.  Cross always seemed to have an extra gear to go into but never really made it.  They seemed to miss a few good changes in the first half which would have put the game beyond doubt as they would have been 11-12 up at half time.  While Haprs seemed to have to work extremely hard in the first half for scores Cross seemed able to create chances at will but simply didn't take them. 

I was eating dinner in the second half and could only get snippets of the game but Harps certainly seemd like they had the better of the  lads for periods but just when they were getting into range Cross always seemd to close them out and could always get the score they needed.  That is the sign of a great team but they do need to close the games out better. 

Obviously I didn't see the incidents with Francie etc so I can't comment on them.  Commentary did say that Cross seemed to get a few soft frees in the first half but also that Harps were beneficiaries of a few dodgy ones as well.  Gary Smith was close to Damian and shook his head in dismay a few times apparently!  refs make good and bad decisions over the course of a game and seldom are the reason behind a team winning or losing.  It seems he told Quigley it had to go straight and as soon as it hit another outfield player he made the right decision if he blew his whistle.

Anyway on to the Final and the Ogs.  After their seemingly confortable win, and Cross obviously having trouble it will likely be an all city double in minor and senior.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quoteyeah it was supposed to be a double header but its just the junior now.  The intermediate semi will be played next sat with the final played the following week.  Not sure if it on the sat or sunday though

The final will be played on the Saturday. There'll be extra time next week if the Bridge and Culloville draw. I assume the 2 clubs must have agreed to that.

Thought Ógs deserved their victory yesterday but if Killeavy could ever have gotten within a point they could have put them under serious pressure. They got back to within 2 at a number of stages but could never cut the deficit down the minimum.

Left the Cross match at half time so didn't see a lot of the controversy but I thought Harps were fortunate enough to get their penalty, particularly as the referee didn't seem to have a very good view of the incident.

Where is the future development for the athletic grounds planned. Will there be more seats on the seated side of the ground and is there a roof planned at any stage? Thought the place looked reasonable well though it doesn't seem intercounty championship standard yet.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead