Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quotethe bridge team that beat st pats 3 years ago on the scoreboard are nearly all now finished senior and playin b football,
I can only think of 4 of that panel not playing senior now, Ciaran Conlon, Nicholas Traynor, Barry Campbell and Frank Smyth.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

RealSpiritof98

Cuchulainns beat middletown 2nite in the intermediate play off. They play gort na mona on sunday at casement at the same time the harps and ogs are playing in armagh, leaving 6 lads a choice of ulster hurling semi or club football semi, surely this could be avoided.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 03, 2008, 01:13:00 AM
Cuchulainns beat middletown 2nite in the intermediate play off. They play gort na mona on sunday at casement at the same time the harps and ogs are playing in armagh, leaving 6 lads a choice of ulster hurling semi or club football semi, surely this could be avoided.

well done last night Spirit.  From all accounts it seems to have been a bit tempestuous

el_cuervo_fc

From The Irish News

Harps capable of an upset against Cross Lucozade Armagh Senior Football Championship
By Niall McCoy
03/10/08

THE Athletic Grounds will have a new look for

Sunday's Armagh Senior Football Championship semi-finals and Charlie Vernon is hoping that Armagh Harps can prevent the same old story on the pitch.

Crossmaglen Rangers, the dominant force of Armagh football, are aiming for their 13th consecutive final and are odds-on favourites to overcome a side who were relegated from Division One this season.

But the City side have shown a different pedigree in this year's Championship and a seven-point victory over an improving

Carrickcruppen side in the first round was followed by a gritty, hard-working two-point victory over Mullaghabawn in the quarter-final.

Vernon missed that game through injury, but should be fit to take the field on Sunday and, after a successful first season in the Armagh starting 15, he is sure to have a pivotal role in proceedings.

"I missed the match because I went over on my ankle two nights before the game, but the guys showed character, especially when Mullaghbawn got their goal.

"We finished the game well and we are hopeful for Sunday. There is no point going on to the field if you don't give yourself a chance."

Collie Holmes also missed the Mullaghbawn match, but for different reasons. The midfielder was on county duty and went on to claim All-Ireland glory with Tyrone.

His return to the team is significant, because Crossmaglen's midfield performances have been slightly shy of their own extremely high standards in the odd League match and also in their first round Championship match against Dromintee.

If Holmes, Vernon and Gareth Swift can win enough possession to feed into their dangerous

full-forward line, they may have a chance.

"Having Collie back is a great boost; he is a leader and a great motivator. Obviously, like all games, the middle is going to be important.

"If we can win enough ball there the forwards will have a chance – but, against Cross, you need to take all your chances."

One of the most prominent forwards for Harps this year has been Kevin Kelly.

The full-forward is an injury concern for the match and is rated 50/50 to feature in their first semi-final since 2004 and, if he was unable to play, it would be a massive blow for the side.

"Kevin has been in excellent form this year. We really need him fit, because his free taking is

always good as well.

"We have good players throughout the team and we all need to play well."

The club are celebrating their 120th anniversary this year and relegation was not a part of the

celebratory plans, but Vernon is hoping there may be a celebration for a different anniversary – 50 years ago they won the Championship and they defeated Crossmaglen along the way.

"Obviously, it was tough going down when we were celebrating 120 years.

"The boys will hopefully re-group and we can get back up where we feel we belong.

"Cross's record speaks for itself and everything has to go right for us, but, if we take our chances, we will be in with a shout."

Crossmaglen are still without Brendan McKeown, but David McKenna may play some part after missing the Dromintee match and the rout of Clann na Gael in the quarter-final with a hand injury.

Vernon knows that, even with injuries, Crossmaglen will still field a formidable 15.

"The grounds may be done up and it is nice to be at the Athletic Grounds, because it was the scene of many Harps' triumphs, but, at the end of the day, it is just a pitch and we have to go out there and be the better team."

Whacker

Very well written  :P

is there anywhere giving the handicap on the cross match?

Candyman

Quote from: Whacker on October 03, 2008, 09:58:35 AM

You have no chance...

Once again in that article CV comes across as the gent he really is.  ;)

bennydorano

Is that a piece from the boul Corn then?  Nice piece but I hate to see articles like that when we should be going in under the radar. 

nutsy--1

Whos the six lads i know of coulter, turley barton and gribben who's the other two??

Excellent win last nite for cuchulainns, a nice wee scrap in the middle!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: bennydorano on October 03, 2008, 11:40:01 AM

Is that a piece from the boul Corn then?  Nice piece but I hate to see articles like that when we should be going in under the radar. 

Yis don't have a hope Benny. That better?

On a serious note, what's this Harps minor team like? Has there been a lot expected of them all year?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

BenDover

Quote from: nutsy--1 on October 03, 2008, 11:57:45 AM

Whos the six lads i know of coulter, turley barton and gribben who's the other two??

Joe Quigley and Apple Gribben. Think the hurling is def going ahead on Sunday - disgraceful

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: BenDover on October 03, 2008, 12:37:28 PM
Quote from: nutsy--1 on October 03, 2008, 11:57:45 AM

Joe Quigley and Apple Gribben. Think the hurling is def going ahead on Sunday - disgraceful

Is that the Ulster club intermediate championship? Do Armagh have a team in the intermediate and the senior then?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

gander

Armagh have teams in Ulster Senior, Intermediate and Junior now.  I'd say the ulster championship match has been fixed for that date from early in the year, they'll never change it.

IVEDECIDED

I do son - and they wont be either!! ;)

bennydorano

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 03, 2008, 12:35:07 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 03, 2008, 11:40:01 AM

Yis don't have a hope Benny. That better?

On a serious note, what's this Harps minor team like? Has there been a lot expected of them all year?
Minors are good but not great,  We had a few very tight games with Granemore this year - that we came out the wrong side of on each ocassion, so that would give you some indication (I hear you were lucky enough to get past them?) I would have thought next year would have been more realistic for us as all but 2 starters are eligible again, but sure now we're there we might as well give it a go!  Gives a shocker of a day tomorrow so it could be anybody's game.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on October 03, 2008, 09:30:16 AM
From The Irish News

Harps capable of an upset against Cross Lucozade Armagh Senior Football Championship
By Niall McCoy
03/10/08

THE Athletic Grounds will have a new look for

Sunday's Armagh Senior Football Championship semi-finals and Charlie Vernon is hoping that Armagh Harps can prevent the same old story on the pitch.

Crossmaglen Rangers, the dominant force of Armagh football, are aiming for their 13th consecutive final and are odds-on favourites to overcome a side who were relegated from Division One this season.

But the City side have shown a different pedigree in this year's Championship and a seven-point victory over an improving

Carrickcruppen side in the first round was followed by a gritty, hard-working two-point victory over Mullaghabawn in the quarter-final.

Vernon missed that game through injury, but should be fit to take the field on Sunday and, after a successful first season in the Armagh starting 15, he is sure to have a pivotal role in proceedings.

"I missed the match because I went over on my ankle two nights before the game, but the guys showed character, especially when Mullaghbawn got their goal.

"We finished the game well and we are hopeful for Sunday. There is no point going on to the field if you don't give yourself a chance."

Collie Holmes also missed the Mullaghbawn match, but for different reasons. The midfielder was on county duty and went on to claim All-Ireland glory with Tyrone.

His return to the team is significant, because Crossmaglen's midfield performances have been slightly shy of their own extremely high standards in the odd League match and also in their first round Championship match against Dromintee.

If Holmes, Vernon and Gareth Swift can win enough possession to feed into their dangerous

full-forward line, they may have a chance.

"Having Collie back is a great boost; he is a leader and a great motivator. Obviously, like all games, the middle is going to be important.

"If we can win enough ball there the forwards will have a chance – but, against Cross, you need to take all your chances."

One of the most prominent forwards for Harps this year has been Kevin Kelly.

The full-forward is an injury concern for the match and is rated 50/50 to feature in their first semi-final since 2004 and, if he was unable to play, it would be a massive blow for the side.

"Kevin has been in excellent form this year. We really need him fit, because his free taking is

always good as well.

"We have good players throughout the team and we all need to play well."

The club are celebrating their 120th anniversary this year and relegation was not a part of the

celebratory plans, but Vernon is hoping there may be a celebration for a different anniversary – 50 years ago they won the Championship and they defeated Crossmaglen along the way.

"Obviously, it was tough going down when we were celebrating 120 years.

"The boys will hopefully re-group and we can get back up where we feel we belong.

"Cross's record speaks for itself and everything has to go right for us, but, if we take our chances, we will be in with a shout."

Crossmaglen are still without Brendan McKeown, but David McKenna may play some part after missing the Dromintee match and the rout of Clann na Gael in the quarter-final with a hand injury.

Vernon knows that, even with injuries, Crossmaglen will still field a formidable 15.

"The grounds may be done up and it is nice to be at the Athletic Grounds, because it was the scene of many Harps' triumphs, but, at the end of the day, it is just a pitch and we have to go out there and be the better team."

Great article, very well written