Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

back off the net

denis hollywood is one off the best trainers you could get so im sure cullyhanna can only get better by having him and he also lives in cullyhanna so im sure he is only to please to help them out

AFS

Whats the craic in Div 2 with Keady? They've a lot of points to make up to avoid relegation but they do have 6 games to do it in. Is there a cut off date for them to get all of their games played by? They'd also have the Ulster hurling championship match or two to deal with in the next few weeks as well.

Candyman

Quote from: The Iceman on September 29, 2008, 06:21:16 PM
Quote from: Candyman on September 29, 2008, 05:04:00 PM
Now now.... you'll see the JD Gun show in action if your not careful!!!  ;)

I seen it before Candyman outside the Plough one night - he tried chasin Barry Daly down the entry where he met the show stopper and a pool cue

Barry should have gassed him!!!  ;)

(I'll get my coat)  :-\

illdecide

Quote from: AFS on September 30, 2008, 04:10:12 AM
Whats the craic in Div 2 with Keady? They've a lot of points to make up to avoid relegation but they do have 6 games to do it in. Is there a cut off date for them to get all of their games played by? They'd also have the Ulster hurling championship match or two to deal with in the next few weeks as well.

As far as i know all games must be finished before the 1st of November!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

el_cuervo_fc

From Irish News

Joe to joust with his beloved Armagh Gaelic Games
By Kenny Archer
30/09/08

JOE Kernan has always insisted he couldn't manage another team against his beloved

Armagh – but he'll do just that tomorrow night.

To be fair (as I always am), 'Big Joe' was talking about taking on another inter-county job, which this isn't, and there's the added

incentive that this contest will be a challenge game in aid of charity.

Kernan, the new manager of the Ulster football side for the inter-provincial series, will select a side to take on Armagh to mark the first match use of floodlighting at the re-developed Athletic Grounds (throw-in 7.30pm).

Even with Joe himself, his assistant, the Monaghan manager Seamus 'Banty' McEnaney, Derry legend Tony Scullion, and former Derry and Armagh trainer John McCloskey on the line for Ulster, Kernan predicts: "I think it'll be timid enough now. It won't be anything I'll lose any sleep over!"

Certainly none of his footballing sons – Stephen, Aaron, Tony, and Paul – are likely to be involved, for either side, as Crossmaglen Rangers have an Armagh SFC semi-final this Sunday, also at the Athletic Grounds, as they target a 13th consecutive county championship.

Club considerations would also rule out other Crossmaglen and Armagh players, plus those from the other semi-finalists (Armagh Harps, Killeavey, and Pearse Og), thus excluding the likes of Charlie Vernon, Steven McDonnell, Ronan Clarke, and Ciaran McKinney among others.

In those circumstances, Ulster will not call on any Armagh players tomorrow night, even though Finnian Moriarty, Brian Mallon, Aaron and Stephen Kernan, Kieran Toner, and Ciaran McKeever have all been involved with the provincial panel earlier this month.

Kernan knows options will be limited for his successor as Armagh boss, Peter McDonnell, but "he's gathering up as many as he can. But the main thing is that we're getting a match – he can have a look at some players and so can we."

Joe's own choices were literally halved for their first trial/challenge match against Crossmaglen at Monaghan's training ground, as he explains: "We started off with 44 – and out of those there were 22 available, between club matches and injuries."

This interview interrupted Kernan phoning round yesterday afternoon to check on players' availability and the panel will be subject to plenty of change before the Inter-provincial semi-final against Munster on Saturday October 25.

Kernan added: "We've had nearly two different groups over the last two weeks, so we'll keep an open mind."

Admission for tomorrow night's match at the Athletic Grounds will cost £5 (or E7) and proceeds will go to the Newry Hospice.

topgun

Any one no where to get odds for the minor championship?
a prophet is not recognised by his own

Candyman

Quote from: topgun on September 30, 2008, 01:01:52 PM
I would try a Bookmakers shop in Armagh, should be able to help out a high profile character like yourself!!  ;)

Over the Bar

Anyone know if the Harps will have a dinner or reception for Collie Holmes of if they did any previous year he won an AI?

Onion Bag

He is playing on sunday at the athletic grounds against cross if you fancy making the journey overthebar, I think someone told me the players had a bash for him
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

BerfArmagh

I am sure Collie will recieve some form of official club recognition at the November Gala shin dig...

SO whats the thoughts on the 2 matches on sunday guys. I reckon the Harps will give it a good lash against cross. Though to be honest I don't think we have the scoring power to beat them, but sure ye never know, if your not in, you can't win!  ;D

Ogs v Killeavy should be a good game also, hopefully its a good day weather wise & all 4 teams (Well not cross  ;)) play to their potential. I fancy the Ogs to pip Killeavy

fred the red

what odds would you get on cross winning the next 5 senior championships?

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteSO whats the thoughts on the 2 matches on sunday guys. I reckon the Harps will give it a good lash against cross. Though to be honest I don't think we have the scoring power to beat them, but sure ye never know, if your not in, you can't win! 

Was at both Harps' and Cross' quarter finals and thought Harps looked very average against a limited Mullaghbán side. In contrast Cross were superb. Looking at the two sides it seems impossible to imagine how Harps stand any chance. Vernon and Holmes are good. But they aren't that good.

Hopefully Harps will make a game of it but its difficult to see them getting any closer than 5 or 6 points. That said, its all on the day and hopefully I'll be wrong.

Ógs on paper would be expected to beat Killeavy, but as people have mentioned earlier int his thread, Killeavy are in a great vein of form. May come down to which team gets the most out of its star county forward.

Quote from: Candyman on September 30, 2008, 01:05:07 PM
Quote from: topgun on September 30, 2008, 01:01:52 PM
I would try a Bookmakers shop in Armagh, should be able to help out a high profile character like yourself!!  ;)

Which bookies is likely to have odds Candyman?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Our Nail Loney

You would struggle to get ods for minor c'ships, its hard enough to get them to price up senior championships these days

brokencrossbar1

I am nervous enough about the weekend for the lads.  They are set up for a fall(I know they have been before and didn't fall)  but there is absolutley no pressure on the Harps.  If they get a good start and a bit of momentum, I think they can catch us, but who knows.  Ogs to win at a canter, Killeavey will be easily brushed aside.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 30, 2008, 01:17:15 PM
Anyone know if the Harps will have a dinner or reception for Collie Holmes of if they did any previous year he won an AI?

This is the same player who, I was informed, held an "anti Armagh" party at his house on the day that Armagh beat Kerry in the 2002 AIF?
"Stercus accidit"