Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Hank Everlast on September 17, 2008, 09:30:09 AM
INTERMEDIATE
Saturday 20 September
Intermediate Football Championship Quarter-Final Replay (4.00)
Culloville v Wolfe Tone at Ballyhegan
Extra time, if required

Saturday 27 September
Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final (4.00)
St Patrick's v Sarsfields at Pearse Og Park

Saturday 4 October
Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final (4.00)
Silverbridge v Culloville/Wolfe Tones at Cullyhanna or Pearse Og Park

think the sarsfields cullyhanna game could be a very good game probably head up to it next weekend.  whoever comes through this game no doubt be jstifiable favourites for the final.

would be interesting to see cullyhanna and the bridge in the final alright, however i think whoever comes through the tones cullaville game will account for the bridge.  saw them against st.pauls wo had them on the rocks in the 1st half then damian mccann took over in the 2nd half. 

intermediate always appears to provide some excitement when it gets to this stage!

cullaville will start favourites tomorrow our form has really picked up the last month though  ffeel we may have missed the boat the last day!hope i am wrong!!

pintsofguinness

Quotehowever i think whoever comes through the tones cullaville game will account for the bridge.  saw them against st.pauls wo had them on the rocks in the 1st half then damian mccann took over in the 2nd half.

I don't know if that's fair Charlie, we started without at least 5 regulars for that game and won by 6 points. - 0-15 to 1-6, with their goal coming from a penalty.

That said the 'bridge will be up against it, at full strength I'd be confident but if we do progress it'll probably have to be without McAvoy, Hamill and Niall Reel which will be extremely difficult.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

charlie stubbs

yous certainly improved in the 2nd half wasnt aware that you where missing so many.  whats wrong with those 3 boys pints be big loss alright

pintsofguinness

Quote from: charlie stubbs on September 19, 2008, 09:41:15 PM
yous certainly improved in the 2nd half wasnt aware that you where missing so many.  whats wrong with those 3 boys pints be big loss alright

Well I don't really know the details on the injuries of if they're likely to make it back in time but McAvoy and Hamill haven't played in a few games now, I think I heard Cormac wasn't even fit to tog out against in either Keady games?
Just heard Reel carried off against Keady, heard it was ligaments so not good if that's true :-\
Young McGarvey only fit to play here and there too (through injury) and we need him back at his best and in the middle of the field.

That's arguably the f**king midfield, CHF and CHB out  :-\

But anyway, no excuses, no time to feel sorry for ourselves, the shirts will be filled and there's a championship to win!!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Armagh Exile

Silverbridge and St Patrick's to make it an "All South Armagh Final" with the Cullyhanna men to avenge their previous championship defeat when they lost to Silverbridge after extra time in a replay at Crossmaglen.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 19, 2008, 01:05:50 PM
Quote from: corn02 on September 19, 2008, 12:02:52 PM
The main reason maybe BC but to suggest Cross do not have a much bigge pick than the average south armagh team is foolish.

I''ll give you an example of the difference in the areas.  I went to St Pat's Cullyhanna primary school.  When I was in P6 we won the McGeevey Cup, the first school in the area to do it.  The team was backboned by players who were Cullyhanna underage players, with myself, and Micheal McVerry from the Bridge.  There were some great players on that team, with at least 3 that went on to play minors for Armagh and Des Mackin played senior.  Cullyhanna never built on it and lost out on a potential county championship winning team as they had a lot of great players from th eprevious years team as well.

The following year St Pat's in Cross won it, with a team of Oisin, Francie, the Macs among others. 

Quote from: naka on September 19, 2008, 12:47:55 PM
Bc i dont believe what i say is bullshit, cross are the only team in a fiercely gaelic community who are also extremely wealthy( money fron ocupation of the grounds etc)  their only opposition was st johns which was quickly diffused,cullyhanna have 2 clubs competing,  keady have a hurling team which cross dont have,mullaghbawn have forkhill pinching 1/2 players, shanes and cruppen compete in an area that holds its allegiance to soccer, as does killeavey, lurgan is a soccer area with say 5 clubs competing,
to say u operate under the same constraints as everyone else is naive
whilst I respect cross, i have more respect for the guys who run phelim bradies, clady, lissummon madden etc

Naka that's fair enough but the reason Cross don't have as many constraints is because the senior team that I was on was so successful that no one wanted to go elsewhere.  But there is also a different mentality of the people involved and consequently the success feeds down.  The guys who run Phelim Brady's put in no more or no less effort than the ones involved in Cross and that, coupled with your comment in regards to money, are belittling to say the least.  We did not win All Irelands because we had money.  Money did not make myself and 30 other lads bust our holes on a training field.  We made the effort 15 years ago when Armagh was a joke of a county footballing wise to bring a bit of success to the county.  As a result the likes of you and many other posters here have had the opportunity to see Armagh lift Sam for the first time.  Cross changed the mentality of people in Armagh and no one can ever deny that.

I think I won the McGreevey Cup the following year (1988) with Armagh CBS.

billy the kid

Quote from: Yes I Would on September 18, 2008, 01:36:09 PM
Any North, Mid South debate is nonsense.

To suggest S. Armagh clubs or any club throughout the county gives them an easy ride dosent make sense. What more can Lissummon, Belleeks, St. Pats etc. do?? What do you mean by suggesting they are doinf fcuk all compared to any other club in the county??
You are talking about competeing against possibly the most succesful club side in history.

The only answer is for teams where possible to compete and obtain success on a consistent basis. Not all clubs can do this ue to small populations, however in my opinion this is the only solution.

Armagh is no different to any other county in that realistiaclly there are only 3 or 4 serious challengers for senior honours each season.
The difference is that Cross have such an abundance of talent at present that this is going to be difficult to achieve.

Sorry to have to point this out but just wondering who the other 2/3 teams are that have been competing with Cross for senior county honours?

Making up the numbers is hardley competing.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

bennydorano

Harps beat the Ogs in the minor champ 2-11 to 1-6.

AFS

Quote from: billy the kid on September 20, 2008, 04:01:30 PM
Quote from: Yes I Would on September 18, 2008, 01:36:09 PM
Any North, Mid South debate is nonsense.

To suggest S. Armagh clubs or any club throughout the county gives them an easy ride dosent make sense. What more can Lissummon, Belleeks, St. Pats etc. do?? What do you mean by suggesting they are doinf fcuk all compared to any other club in the county??
You are talking about competeing against possibly the most succesful club side in history.

The only answer is for teams where possible to compete and obtain success on a consistent basis. Not all clubs can do this ue to small populations, however in my opinion this is the only solution.

Armagh is no different to any other county in that realistiaclly there are only 3 or 4 serious challengers for senior honours each season.
The difference is that Cross have such an abundance of talent at present that this is going to be difficult to achieve.

Sorry to have to point this out but just wondering who the other 2/3 teams are that have been competing with Cross for senior county honours?

Making up the numbers is hardley competing.

Stop shit stirring!  ::)

armagh leg-end

Ard Mhacha Abu

charlie stubbs

cullaville beat tones by 3 points in the semi final of intermediate.

cullaville scored 2 goals in the 1st half went in 6 up at the break.  some very naive tactis from miceal magill cost us imo.  they had a very dangerous 2 man ff line and a lad of our just 17 got a complete roasting and still wasnt taken off.  injuries to johnny mccarron, ryan mcquillan and david heaney being on hoidays didnt help our cause. 

with around ten mins left we where 5 points down continually tried for a goal in hindsight if we took our points we could have won or possibly forced extra time.  had a great chance for a goal with 2 mins left same situation as last week however they buried their chance we hit the black spot. 

fair play to cullaville wish them all the best in the remainder of their championship, the better team won 2night, though if the bridge can get at their full back line they will get alot of joy

armaghniac

QuoteI'd say Cullaville is similar, their Primary School is also very small and I'd imagine Cross Primary gets a lot from Cullaville.

I would have thought that Clonalig school and the Cullaville club intake more or less overlap, except for one or two townlands on the boundary. Basically the area is better defined than Silverbridge, the Fane on one side and Cross on the other. Not a big school, so not a big pick.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

And who says Armagh people aren't interested in hurling.... Who won the county final in Killeavy today?

Uladh

i'm reliably informed that keady won at a canter

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: Uladh on September 21, 2008, 12:32:50 AM

i'm reliably informed that keady won at a canter
Keady beat Middletown 5-13 to 1-11, a real game of 2 halfs, Keady were extremely lucky to be in contention at half time, Middletown did all the hurling. Keady blew them away in the 2nd half. Portadown beat Craobh Rua in the junior final 1-13 to 1-9, Portadown were up by 11 points at ht and just did enough to hold on against a game Camlough team.