Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

regarding the whole cullyhann bridge argument ending corn and i hope this doesn't trigger it of again.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: winsamsoon on September 18, 2008, 11:02:15 AM
I would say og's head has raised some valid points in that post. He has put a sligtly different slant on the north, south and mid debate. Once again pints you have just made a totally vague post without telling the lad what you find wrong with the quote you have selected. Would it not be better to say what you think it wrong with the statement rather than just poke fun at it. It makes it easier to debate if one has an opinion.
Do you seriously need for me to spell out what is wrong with the statement
"It still happens today and I think south Armagh teams (Cross, Dromintee and mullabawn excluded) need to get their heads out of their ass and realise their own clubs are doin f*** all"

Do you think that's a sensible statement? What does he think every club in the county is doing?

I agree with him on the south armagh v North/Mid armagh thing, pure stupid if you ask me.  The only club I care about in South Armagh is the 'Bridge and I'd actually rather see a club like Maghery (who the 'bridge would have a good relationship with) doing well than other south armagh clubs - that's no reflection on them.

The GAA
Ogs head is referring exclusively to senior football. Pints, as with most bridge men, consider senior football to be only one small part of the criteria to judge the strength of their club on.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this statement.  I don't speak for anyone only myself but you're right I don't think the success of a club's senior team is everything within a club - it'd be great of course but it's not everything.
Are clubs at the bottom of division 4 any better or worse than Cross, ogs, Harps, Dromintee etc?   

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

el_cuervo_fc

It seems that Ogshead's first (and only) ever wind-up post has been a success

pintsofguinness

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on September 18, 2008, 08:05:57 PM
It seems that Ogshead's first (and only) ever wind-up post has been a success
Dont think so El, to be a sucess he would have actually had to be sucessful in winding people up.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

el_cuervo_fc

Ok then perhaps he was just stoking the fire

ogshead

Maybe I lost the run of myself at the end of my comments there, apologies to any offended clubs (well I know I did)!! My point was anyway is that people outside of Crossmaglen classify South Armagh as the invincible area. It's a catagory marked out by Crossmaglen's success. No other club in my opinion is better than the other and we all try our hardest... there's some shit talked on  this thread about who is better than who and taking potshots at clubs who are struggling a bit (and I'm glad I wasn't around for the StPats/Bridge debate). Anyway, it was just I noticed the comment about the all south armagh final and felt I had to comment, it will be all down to the day and I hope we win, get to final and hopefully cause an upset but I would bear no hard feelings if Killeavy got to the final. It caused a bit of debate there so I'm glad my first comment got a reaction and again my apologies to anyone offended!! :)

AFS

In fairness Ogshead the comment you took offence to was made by back off(sic) the net. If you'd been reading this thread over the last few months you'd realise that this poster is quite obviously a child with too much time on his hands, who rarely makes a point about anything other than his own club, Cullyhanna, except when he's offending other clubs. Around the time he made the post he was having a go at Clans, gloating childishly after their defeat at the weekend that he had foreseen it, and intimating that Cullyhanna were better than Clans. He then made some point about 'city folk' not being able to accept that, seemingly mistaking Clan naGael for an Armagh City club, hmmm  :-[ . No one takes too much notice of him so I'd advise you to do similarly.

His opinions are not indicative of the general consensus around South Armagh I'd imagine.

corn02

Quote from: winsamsoon on September 18, 2008, 05:30:40 PM
regarding the whole cullyhann bridge argument ending corn and i hope this doesn't trigger it of again.

ah yes, hopefully so.

Does any true Gael see a rivarly between north, south and mid? I m all for competitiveness but who gives a damn where the players are from?

illdecide

Quote from: corn02 on September 19, 2008, 09:06:00 AM
Quote from: winsamsoon on September 18, 2008, 05:30:40 PM

ah yes, hopefully so.

Does any true Gael see a rivarly between north, south and mid? I m all for competitiveness but who gives a damn where the players are from?

I believe North & South Armagh have a we bit of rivalry, well thats the general view in the North but i believe it's more of an inferior complex that the North have over the South. Majority of the teams in the North are beaten before they go out to play their Southern Brethren (Can't understand myself)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

We were told growing up that teams in the North didn't like the lads coming with the "straw on their boots" :P  It's a load of auld balls anyway, you're either good enough or not.  In the 40's and 60's it was Clann Eireann, in the 50's the Harps, in the 70's and 80's it was the Clans.  Cross are the only constant, with the 50's being the only decade they never won a championship.  The reality though is that outsdie of Cross, Mullaghbawn won the one in 1995 to supplement the one the won in 1964, before that you have to go to the early 80's when Cruppen won 3 I think(they won 4 others either as Cruppen or Geraldines), Killeavey won 3, the last in 1948, Newtown won back to back ones 1940-41, Shane O'neills won 2 and Whitecross have the distinction of the first SA team to win it in 1905.

The over all breakdown is North 22, Mid 31, South 53.  Obviously Cross dominate the south figures with 37, so that gives you an idea of where things sit.  

It all means nothing really just a few interesting titbits.

naka

cross are also fortunate to have the biggest pick of players in Armagh, cruppen won championships at senior level  only when they had a pick that rivalled cross ie( no belleeks, corrinshego,Shanes etc), whilst plaudits should go to cross it isnt a level playing field
I sincerely hope the ogs or killeavey end their reign as its unhealthy

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: naka on September 19, 2008, 11:46:50 AM
cross are also fortunate to have the biggest pick of players in Armagh, cruppen won championships at senior level  only when they had a pick that rivalled cross ie( no belleeks, corrinshego,Shanes etc), whilst plaudits should go to cross it isnt a level playing field

Pardon my ignorance, but is Silverbridge & Culloville, not closer to Crossmaglen than Beleeks & Corrinshego? - & No disrespect to the latter 2 clubs, but Silverbridge & Culloville are both Div 1 teams!

EDIT - Sorry Silverbridge aren't - but still...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: naka on September 19, 2008, 11:46:50 AM

Bullshit Naka.  That last census carried out stated that Cross town has a population of under 1600.  I would estimate that if you include the environment around it that actual level of people in the vicinity is around 6000.  If you consider that you have a pull of Silverbridge, Cullaville and to a lesser extent Cullyhanna, this shit about a bigger pick can be put in perspective.  Keady has a similar size population, Killeavey and Dromintee are the only clubs in a very large geographical area.  Shane O'Neills and Carrickcruppen are the only clubs in a larger urban area than Cross.  Mullaghbawn stretches from the top of Sturgan Brae, the whole way over to Forkill, then around the bottom of the hills to McGeoughs old shop on the Newry Road, up towards Beleelks old field and then across to Lislea.  I can guarantee that the majority of families in that geographical area are involved and that doesn't include the village itself.  It is an easy excuse to make, the simple fact is that there is a better set up on Cross than any other club and that is the main reason behind success.

corn02

The main reason maybe BC but to suggest Cross do not have a much bigge pick than the average south armagh team is foolish.

bennydorano

What is the Primary School set up in around that whole area?  Are the likes of Silverbridge, Cullyhanna, Mullabawn, Cullaville catered for by their own schools are do they all go to St Pat's PS in Cross?