Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurgan-gael

I assume the athletic grounds will be used, saw pictures of them and the place is looking well. Would imagine Clann Eireann/Killeavy & Clans/Cross would make a better double header, Lurgan vs S.Armagh!

armaghniac

QuoteLurgan vs S.Armagh!

Not a very equal contest, in Gaelic Football anyway.  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: armaghniac on September 03, 2008, 12:51:57 AM
QuoteLurgan vs S.Armagh!

Not a very equal contest, in Gaelic Football anyway.  ;)

Bo Swigging?  :P

Whacker

Quote from: diesel-smuggler on September 02, 2008, 11:50:30 PM
if they choose crossmaglen v clans as the first game in the refurbished athletic grounds the county should market the product and have it under the new lights too!

if done correctly they could fill the place and generate alot of interest and revenue in the athletic grounds

couldnt imagine them having the sense of the know how to do this unfortunately

That would be too ethical for them to do that and too much forward thinking involved!

full back

Having reconsidered my opinion & following some sound advice from winsam I dont feel the 4 games will be clear cut   ;)

The Harps/Mullaghbawn may be tight enough
The rest of the games the favourites will win by at least 3 points

Goats Do Shave

full back

It went pretty much to form in the last round

el_cuervo_fc

A few pictures of the Athletic Grounds - swiped from the orchardcounty website

Whacker

Actually, Surprisingly it looks half decent!  Thats maybe until them wee fcukers in the estates get their paws on it!

Quite impressive from the pictures anyway.

One other note, attended couple of the Championship games over the weekend and the Admission Fee is Ridiculous!  10 Euro in to watch tripe in Keady, one match!  Went to games in Down also and it was 10 Euro in but you were paying to watch a double header!  I wouldnt mind if some- if not themajority of the money was going to clubs, but they sniff fcuk all of it and the County Board get their grubby little paws on it!

bennydorano

Apparently the Athletic Grounds pitch itself isn't ready for a game yet, so I'd say Cross v Clans will be at Cruppen (abbey park a  possibility but mightn't hold the crowd).  No doubt they'll take us back to that shithole Keady, Ogs v Granemore would be the 'Nab I'd assume and Abbey Park or Pearse Og Park will get CE v Killeavey.

winsamsoon

I would say the clans game Benny would definetly be in Abbey park. The only other option would be ballymacnab but this may not be big enough. Both of these pitches are quite small and will make for an interesting match. I would say there would be a lot of hard hitting and this is why the game should be a lot tighter. A small pitch always brings the game to another level. We would be fairly used to playing in Davitt park and as you know it is massive. The Cross pitch is no small thing either so i think both teams would have prefered a bigger pitch (the Clans probably more so than Cross) For this reason i think the game will be pretty tight.

I am glad you have seen sense Full back  ;) The butterflies are in the old stomach now lads as the championship heats up. Just hope that rain stays away so we can get it played.

The Harp game should also be tight. We have two division one teams going at it and in many ways the teams are similar. The both like to work the ball out of defence and get quick ball into the forwards. This will be a tight affair and i think whoever performs best in and around the middle should take the game. The guy for Harps Kelly is pretty accurate with the frees but so too is John Ferris for the Bawn so all in all it will be a good game to watch.

The Og's should account for Granemore handily enough. The last time i saw Granemore they were a big strong young side but the wouldn't have been the most mobile team in the world. I think the Og's can exploit this weakness and with their running game can account for Granemore easily enough. They also have the option of the high ball if needed.

Killeavy will also be in for a tough ride. Granted they are playing well and Clan Eireann are no big shakes but they can prove difficult to beat. They have a decent enough midfield and a couple of decent forwards. If they can deal with the physical side of Killeavy and Keep Mc Donnell quiet then they could potentially upset the apple cart.

Verdict

Clans v Cross  (wouldn't want to call it because of my bias) ;)
Harps v Mullaghbawn  ( Bawn by 1 point)
Killeavy v Clann Eireann ( Killeavy by 2)
Og v Granemore ( Og's by 6 )
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on September 03, 2008, 09:10:50 AM
Apparently the Athletic Grounds pitch itself isn't ready for a game yet, so I'd say Cross v Clans will be at Cruppen (abbey park a  possibility but mightn't hold the crowd).  No doubt they'll take us back to that shithole Keady, Ogs v Granemore would be the 'Nab I'd assume and Abbey Park or Pearse Og Park will get CE v Killeavey.

Why would the pitch not be ready? it was laid about 4 years ago and it looks perfect in the photos (i wish Davitt Park looked as good as that). Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Junior championship semi's not on in the Athletic Grounds this weekend. And the county board were looking for our game with Cross for the Friday night under the lights but it didn't suit both teams so as far as I'm aware it will be there on the Sunday (not sure if it's part of a double header)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The GAA

It was a disppointing weekend of football overall. wasn't at the ogs game but it sounds like they were very impressive with jj clarke adding quite a bit of scoring power. cruppen in particular disappointed but harps did their job very profesionally. the cross game was a funny oul game - a very eerie atmosphere with little or no fire to it. the cross goal effectively ended the game at a very imprtant time and it was never a goal from my viewpoint. cross look very vulnerable with tony mcentee, hanratty and donaldson manning central positions and looking very poor. could be a big chance for clans!

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on September 03, 2008, 10:51:10 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on September 03, 2008, 09:10:50 AM

Why would the pitch not be ready? it was laid about 4 years ago and it looks perfect in the photos (i wish Davitt Park looked as good as that). Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Junior championship semi's not on in the Athletic Grounds this weekend. And the county board were looking for our game with Cross for the Friday night under the lights but it didn't suit both teams so as far as I'm aware it will be there on the Sunday (not sure if it's part of a double header)
The Junior semi's are the weekend of 27th/28th September.  Could be wrong but as I say I heard the pitch isn't ready just yet, so dont be suprised if you hear it's Cruppen for the Clans game!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: The GAA on September 03, 2008, 10:56:28 AM

It was a disppointing weekend of football overall. wasn't at the ogs game but it sounds like they were very impressive with jj clarke adding quite a bit of scoring power. cruppen in particular disappointed but harps did their job very profesionally. the cross game was a funny oul game - a very eerie atmosphere with little or no fire to it. the cross goal effectively ended the game at a very imprtant time and it was never a goal from my viewpoint. cross look very vulnerable with tony mcentee, hanratty and donaldson manning central positions and looking very poor. could be a big chance for clans!

JJ wasn't playing, Ross Clarke scored 1-3 I think though