Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Have you not been asked corn? think every footaller in the country has been invited

corn02

Nah I turned it down, I would prbably be too good and over physical for it.

winsamsoon

says on the txt there have been 22 asked and 15 of them are from ulster. Dessie Mone is one of them . I wish they would take Vernon
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI wish they would take Vernon

What do you mean by that Win?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

He's a big strong lad don't get me wrong but he has limited football ability and laks pace especially for a half back. If the aussie too him, he would be more suited to aussie rules because of his physique. It is time the county started to bring footballers into the panel again an come away from ogre recruitment.

IVEDECIDED

peter stevenson has made the transition to corner back very well,was very impressive mght be worth a look at for county though very small
[/quote]

Are you for real!! Grow up son. You must be Peters Da! ;D

winsamsoon

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteHe's a big strong lad don't get me wrong but he has limited football ability

I'm genuinely amazed that anybody who's watched Charlie Vernon on any sort of regular basis over the past few years could say he has "limited football ability". Fair enough, he hasn't yet fulfilled his potential in an Armagh senior shirt but there's no doubt he has the ability to be a pivotal player for Armagh in the years to come.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 16, 2008, 09:33:27 PM
QuoteHe's a big strong lad don't get me wrong but he has limited football ability

I'm genuinely amazed that anybody who's watched Charlie Vernon on any sort of regular basis over the past few years could say he has "limited football ability". Fair enough, he hasn't yet fulfilled his potential in an Armagh senior shirt but there's no doubt he has the ability to be a pivotal player for Armagh in the years to come.

TAC, I believe your post should have read,

I'm genuinely amazed that anybody who's watched Charlie Vernon on any sort of regular basis over the past few years, and has a clue what they're talking about, could say he has "limited football ability". Fair enough, he hasn't yet fulfilled his potential in an Armagh senior shirt but there's no doubt he has the ability to be a pivotal player for Armagh in the years to come.

The trouble with many threads on this site is that many posts are generated simply to wind people up on the basis of petty county or club loyalties / rivalries. This thread, and that post you quoted TAC, are both absolute examples of this. The lack of in depth knowledge though cannot be disguised.

Uladh

Vernon is a fantastic footballer and athlete. despite what the paper regurgitators would have you believe, it's still an asset to be athletic. obviously vernon has his first year under his belt now and while i'd have been critical of some of his outings, he'll be better for it.

AFS

I agree, winsamsoon is talking balls.

Charlie will be a mainstay for Armagh for years. I only hope the rest of the young lads coming through have the same dedication as he has.

Skiddybadoo

Rufus

I know for a fact that Houley shares this assessment of Charlie  ::)

winsamsoon

Lads no one is saying that Young Vernon hasn't a great attitude, and he is a great athlete. I have never said anything different.Rufus this has nothing to do with clubs either.Plus i also never said he had a nightmare of a season because he was no worse than anyone else Granted i don't see Vernon week in week out for the harps but the games i have watched him play in the club championship and league and for Armagh he has distinctly lacked pace and speed of thought.

We are coming into a new phase of county football now where bigger guys are being exposed. Vernon fits into this big strong category and if he were marking a smaller nippy half forward he would be took to the cleaners. If you compare him to someone with the same stauture say for instance Eamon O' Hara of sligo. Vernon would have the same build if not better but O'hara can pick a ball up in his own half and penetrate the other team Vernon can't. O' Hara can also take a score i think if Vernon was up that far he would take a noise bleed. In O' Hara we have a player that the opposition fears, i wouldn't be sure if other teams would see Vernon in this light. What also doesn't help the lad is the system that Armagh has been playing which probably restricts him from getting up too far. However lads imho I don't really think Vernon has the ability to cut it at the top when it counts.   

corn02

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 17, 2008, 12:24:54 PM
Lads no one is saying that Young Vernon hasn't a great attitude, and he is a great athlete. I have never said anything different.Rufus this has nothing to do with clubs either.Plus i also never said he had a nightmare of a season because he was no worse than anyone else Granted i don't see Vernon week in week out for the harps but the games i have watched him play in the club championship and league and for Armagh he has distinctly lacked pace and speed of thought.

We are coming into a new phase of county football now where bigger guys are being exposed. Vernon fits into this big strong category and if he were marking a smaller nippy half forward he would be took to the cleaners. If you compare him to someone with the same stauture say for instance Eamon O' Hara of sligo. Vernon would have the same build if not better but O'hara can pick a ball up in his own half and penetrate the other team Vernon can't. O' Hara can also take a score i think if Vernon was up that far he would take a noise bleed. In O' Hara we have a player that the opposition fears, i wouldn't be sure if other teams would see Vernon in this light. What also doesn't help the lad is the system that Armagh has been playing which probably restricts him from getting up too far. However lads imho I don't really think Vernon has the ability to cut it at the top when it counts.   

Win, your not comparing like and like. Vernon was in his first year and he is not the type of player who is going to get noticed as a superstar. He had  a very, very specific role to play this year and sometimes he got it tough, but people did not give him credit for the good things he did.

I have seen plenty of the man at club/underage county/college and he will be a main layer for Armagh soon.

winsamsoon

Corn i hope you are right because Armagh are certainly going to need  players of the calibre you discribe coming through. I was comparing him with O'Hara because of his stature. If he was worth his salt he would be making a bigger impact at going forward that is all i am saying.

If we be honest about it this was one of the easiest Ulster titles Armagh have won and they reached a quarter final of an All Ireland without meeting a decent team and Vernon by no means stood out in any of the games against ordinary opposition. I will by all means give the lad the benefit of the doubt cosidering it is early in his career but i just can't see him being a highly influential player for Armagh in the future. That also goes for a few others, i am being harsh just singling Vernon out. I hear he has a great attitude and i hope i am wrong but we hall just have to wait and see. As far as i am concerned the verdict is well out.