Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albi

In fairness lads there was a good discussion on here about a lot of club losin players and whether it was a city thing or whether drink was to blame... just giving an example of how extreme it had got for us

Local GAA discussion anyone?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: winsamsoon on July 29, 2008, 12:29:31 PM
I could have sworn that there was an armagh harps thread on this board and think these posts would be more welcome there lads.
Oh and corn the clans would have as high an ambition as Dromintee. Considering you have never won anything, yet you find a confidence from somewhere to constantly put other clubs down. Confidence has to be based on something I am struggling to find the source of yours.

WSS, we had been discussing how great under age teams make it or don't make it up to senior teams.  I was comparing the differing fortunes between Harps succesful under age squads and Cross's.  But then agin this is not sometinhg Clan's need to worry about either as they haven't had much inder age success either in recent years :P

gaapunter

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2008, 02:21:34 PM
I could have sworn that there was an armagh harps thread on this board and think these posts would be more welcome there lads.
Oh and corn the clans would have as high an ambition as Dromintee. Considering you have never won anything, yet you find a confidence from somewhere to constantly put other clubs down. Confidence has to be based on something I am struggling to find the source of yours.

WSS, we had been discussing how great under age teams make it or don't make it up to senior teams.  I was comparing the differing fortunes between Harps succesful under age squads and Cross's.  But then agin this is not sometinhg Clan's need to worry about either as they haven't had much inder age success either in recent years :P

You would know alot about BC sure the clans had a u-16 team that ddint lose a mtach two years ago and won all four trophies - including the county cahmpionship.   Anyhow if I was you i would worry about crosses position alot of men getting on in years ie JD, The mac Twins, Mcconville and feck all coming through- glass houses lad- I will tell you one thing Cross will not win nr 13 this year someone will beat youse and I hope to see it

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gaapunter on July 29, 2008, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 29, 2008, 02:21:34 PM

You would know alot about BC sure the clans had a u-16 team that ddint lose a mtach two years ago and won all four trophies - including the county cahmpionship.   Anyhow if I was you i would worry about crosses position alot of men getting on in years ie JD, The mac Twins, Mcconville and feck all coming through- glass houses lad- I will tell you one thing Cross will not win nr 13 this year someone will beat youse and I hope to see it

Feck all coming through, are you for real!  Correct me if I'm wrong but Cross had 4 players under the age of 25 playing for Armagh on Sunday with one on the bench.  The average age of the team is 24.  They have won the league at a canter this year without playing a full team once.  Like I have posted already, players like the twins etc will retire, but so will players on the other clubs in Armagh, Cross though will have a better ability to absorp these retirements than other clubs.  If Cross don't win 13 this year well than so be it, but it is theirs to lose.  The rest of Armagh is catching up, it is just that Cross have kpt the gap wide enough.  I'll hold my tongue until later in the championship year, but I feel I will be on here in Sept/Oct congratulating our lads on their latest county winm

winsamsoon

BC i am well ware that we had this debate but we don't need to constantly list harps players that didn't make it from feile teams etc. It is possible to state the point without continiously naming players. Every team could name players that they have lost from under age and i can tell you we would gather some list. I also agree that we haven't had much success over the years at under age but i fail to see how this is relevant. How embarassing is it then for the other clubs when the clans have managed to perform better than all these teams that have had under age success  ??? ???. We are surviving with maybe 1 or 2  unsuccessful ones coming through each year and we are still managing to win a few senior league titles and reach a county final. So perhaps these under age successes are over rated??? or the correct management structure doesn't exist to bring these lads into senior. Lets not forget under age success  doesn't necessarily bring senior success. I think you guys were confusing this pint abit. It certainly couldn't hinder a team but let's not solely atrribute it on the downfall the harps are experiencing this year.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

brokencrossbar1

WSS, if you notice at the end of my post, ir was tongue in cheek!  I agree with you that underage success does not necessarily bring on senior success.  Look at Kerry.  The main thing is to have good systems in place which can help generate 2-3 good players every minor team.  If underage success comes with that then that is a bonus.

winsamsoon

Yeah so in fact we are agreeing and not arguing lad. but sure have to go infalliable is just about to romp home at Goodwood have, a few dollars on her.

winsamsoon

Another 1 bites the dust paco boy romps home. >:( >:( >:(

corn02

Was any of the current squad on the last team to win it, I doubt it? So don't see how you have more right to be confident. Fact is that we have been Cross main challenegrs and well it is well documented that we could not break them down, I am sure that BC and the Cross lads would agree that we gave them a whole lot more to think about than the Clans did over the 12 years.

billy the kid

How many championships have dromintee won and when was the last?  How many championships have clanns won and when was the last?
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

corn02

I think your being genuine here but Dromintee have won zero so our last will be our first.

winsamsoon

Gareth mc caugherty, Diarmuid marsden, Barry O' hagan, Steven Lavery, John Campbell, and possibly Paul O' hagan and phillip Oldham all played the last time the Clans won the championship and they are still on the panel. Corn you see you keep bringing up this point of coming second and i keep telling you the same thing, it means nothing what so ever. Success is judged by trophies of which your club has maye 1 division 1 league title in it's entire existance. Our roll of honour is there to be seen and even in our baron years we have won 5 division 1 league titles. Also please refrain from begging BC to back you up. BC is wise enough to read the posts and then decide where he stands. So please don't give me challenging for championships as the basis for your confidence . Every team in the championship challenges. Who is to say that if the ogs meet Cross as many times as Dromintee did i the last te  years then they could have upset the Cross. The same goes for any club. The flip side to your argument is the fact that Dromintee have played the Cross more times than any other club in the last 10 years in the championship and have failed to register a single victory. In my opinion if we would have played them every year for 10 years we possibly could have registered one victory and we certainly could have got within two points of them which is all you have achieved. I would also say that the ogs could have possibly registered a victory and perhaps mullaghbawn. But this is all speculation, what is fact is that Dromintee have meet Cross for ten years i the championship and lost out on every occassion.

corn02

And why did we meet them the most because we got to more finals or semis than any other team in the county, therefore their biggest challengers. Stop embarassing yourself man.

winsamsoon

clans have won 15 Billy the last being in 1994

corn02

That is 14 years ago. A successful team in the past but at the moment they are as successful as Dromintee.