Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holylandsniper

With Rufus here, they have some scheme coming up, Armagh County Board are never going to turn down money

Armagh Exile

Quotegood news for all armagh clubs especially the small ones i read in gaelic life the peader murry county treasurer has announced the county team funding will no longer be a burden on clubs this is fantistic news as the policy of hitting all clubs for the same amount of money regardless of size or ability to pay was crippling many clubs all over the county. i have from the beginning opposed this facist uncaring policy and am glad it has been binned as a member of a small club it was getting to the stage that we hated going to our own county board for fear of being boned for money all the time, i dont know what fundraising schemes they have thought up to replace this madness any one heard anything?

My reading of the situation is that the County Treasurer told the delegates at the recent County Convention that Armagh would require a further £25K this year and he did not intend to ask the clubs to contribute to this sum.
All clubs will be required to pay the same levy which they have been paying over the past few years.
So, not such good news at all.

pintsofguinness

Seen this on orchardcounty...posted from Barry
QuoteJust to clarify a matter that was drawn to my attention tonight.

Even though the club league positions have seemingly been confirmed for 2006, THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

Clann Eireann's appeal over the play-off game against Culloville is still with the Ulster Council after the County boards decision to eliminate them.
:o Is that correct?
Unlikely any decision will be overturned by the ulster council but still!

From the BBC...
QuoteKernan wins writers monthly award
Paul Kernan has become the third member of his family to win the Tennent's Ulster GAA Writers monthly merit award.

Kernan picks up the December award after helping Crossmaglen claim the AIB Ulster Club Football title.

His father Armagh boss Joe Kernan has twice won the award while his brother Stephen has also been a recipient.

Kernan produced a great display when taking the full-back role against Ballinderry because of the absence of the injured Francie Bellew.
::) ::) ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Aghdavoyle

whisper it quietly... paul took the mother and father of all roastings from gareth o'neill in the u21 final

holylandsniper

Surely a cert for Armagh Panel..
Has to follow in Kernan tradition, getting a roasting in the U21 final in december weeks later be on panel. Has happened before, could very well happen again, 1 decent game enough to win award?

pintsofguinness

QuoteSurely a cert for Armagh Panel..
Has to follow in Kernan tradition, getting a roasting in the U21 final in december weeks later be on panel. Has happened before, could very well happen again, 1 decent game enough to win award?
It is if your a Kernan, if it was anyone else they wouldnt even be noticed.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Smokin Joe

Just back from Lurgan where I witnessed a really entertaining game.  Armagh held on to win by the minimum margin.
We were 8-2 ahead at half time but were playing into a stiff breeze in the 2nd half.  Stevie scored a point in the 1st minute of the half to go 9-2 ahead, but we never scored again.
Fermanagh got a goal half way through the second half to close the gap to 4 points and missed some other chaces to get the win, or at least a draw.

Paddy McKeever received a straight red for what looked like a stamp, though I was at the other side of the pitch.  It was a tough enough game and Marty McGrath was lucky enough that he didn't get an early bath for swinging elbow on Martin O'Rourke in the 1st half.

Kieran Toner from Granemore was excellent, and it was also good to see decent showings from McClelland, Ferris, Donaghy and McCreesh (though perhaps McCreesh was a little small to be left one on one with the forward on the edge of the square towards the end when the Erne men were pressing).
McClelland won some great aeriel ball in the first half and his workrate was brilliant during the second, including a couple of crucial blocks towards the end when Fermanagh were attacking.
Of all the new lads I would say only Forker didn't advance his chances of staking a claim for a league position.

Martin O'Rourke had a terrific game, he was all over the pitch and was on the end of some heavy tackles.

Alan Hearty in nets didn't do anything wrong.

Peadar Toal is an enigma, strong as an ox and a great sweet foot on him, but he didn't seem to come looking for work.  There was one instance where he picked up the ball on the 45 on his own, and he just seemed to saunter forward (ala John Mac) and he dallied until he was tackled / blocked down, rather than putting the head down and making inroads towards the sticks.

One question for Joe, what is the point in playing Stevie all the way through January, and therefore the whole way during the year?
Give him a break Joe, we have not seen the best of him since 2003, and I am convinced it is due to the fact that he never misses a game.

john mcgill

McCarron the Monaghan ref retired at half time with a leg injury and repaced by a Doen ref.  Near the end a frustrated Fermanagh supporter yelled "the first couldn't walk and this one can't see". 

Smokin Joe

Quote from: john mcgill on January 14, 2007, 04:46:00 PM
McCarron the Monaghan ref retired at half time with a leg injury and repaced by a Doen ref.  Near the end a frustrated Fermanagh supporter yelled "the first couldn't walk and this one can't see". 

It was actually a loud mouthed Armagh supporter near me who shouted that.  10 minutes previous to that he called young Ferris "an asshole" for turning the wrong way :o

Not the kind of supporter we should be looking up to.

Donagh

Quote from: holylandsniper on January 14, 2007, 02:01:25 PM
Surely a cert for Armagh Panel..
Has to follow in Kernan tradition, getting a roasting in the U21 final in december weeks later be on panel.

I believe Shay Given let in four or five goals in a soccer game weeks before being signed by Celtic.

bennydorano

Decent enough game today, if there was a MOTM award I would have given it to Kieran Toner in MF, good to see him and his Granemore teammate McClelland playing very well. Martin O'Rourke had a fantastic first half but sort of dissappeared a bit during the second, McDonnell was tops again.  Toal had a good first half but faded in the second as well (funny, I mentioned the John Mac style as well on the way home).  I thought the defence was dodgy enough with Ciaran McKeever and JP Donnelly probably the best, thought Ferris was skinned every time.  I'd like to see more of Toner as I don't think Loughran is consistently up to county standard, but there's a big difference between MCKenna Cup & League & Championship.

holylandsniper

QuoteI believe Shay Given let in four or five goals in a soccer game weeks before being signed by Celtic.
And has since proven his talent

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bennydorano on January 14, 2007, 07:08:40 PM
I thought the defence was dodgy enough with Ciaran McKeever and JP Donnelly probably the best, thought Ferris was skinned every time. 

Surely Ferris (number 5) was playing at CHF?

David McKeown

I thought Ferris had a very good game and showed a lot of promise for the future (maybe not this year though).  Seemed to win a lot of ball that wasnt his to win
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Goats Do Shave

I personally didn't think Ferris had the best of games. He was industrious, but his marker had the better of him every time.

Forker looked very nervous I thought. He was constantly out in front of the defender...he's a flyer! But dithered on the ball. What age is Stefan?

What was with Ciaran McKeever's distribution? I think he kicked 4 free kicks into defenders no more than 20 yards away!

Paddy Heaney's face when he found out the Tyrone Derry score at halftime was funny!  ;D