Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qub la la la

Quote from: diesel-smuggler on May 14, 2008, 10:46:12 PM
cruppen play crossmaglen in the semi-final of the u21 championship next THURSDAY night in silverbridge!

i would be very disappointed if this is due to the soccer on wednesday night. would like to know from the county board why the u21 championship games are moved from wednesday to thursday?

armagh leg-end

madden beat middletown tonight by 6pts.

what is the full draw?

when do granemore play their quarter final?
Ard Mhacha Abu

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on May 14, 2008, 05:04:00 PM

To BC1: the only arrogance in our club is from older guys who have long retired and who actually bust our own balls from the banks as supporters, we have enough to listen from our "so called own supporters" than you guys. Why would we (current senior team) be arrogant as we have nothing to be arrogant about and if you're listening to a bunch of middle aged men on the bank then good luck to you. Again because someone on a terrace or grass bank shouts something it doesn't have to be linked to the players.

That is accepted Illdecide, and we had the same gobshites in Cross who even when we had won the AI we were not as good as the great team of the 60's ::)   Also it is a few years since I played, but their was a level of what could probably be described as Townie cockiness maybe moreso than arrogance.  

Quote from: Uladh on May 14, 2008, 05:44:40 PM

What is being inferred as club arrogance is usually confined to supporters. most lads who play the game are civil enough, play hard and leave it on the field when the whistle goes. Cross's perception of arrogance from dromintee is more of a "how can they be so arrogant as to challenge us" attitude. It's an expected reaction in the world of competitive sport to show the fangs and react competitively when faced with a challenge. the cross players are as civil as the rest as far as i can see. the extra bit that corn refers to is again down to supporters.

Uladh, I would disagree with you a bit there.  The arrogance that I speak of is from a number of players who sneered down their noses at the likes of me,  "how could someone like you win an AI?"  attitude.  The majority of players were fine but one or two were hard work.  As you say though off the field I would have been fairly friendly with most of them and thought they were decent lads.

Good win for the u21's Crossfire, who played well? Any report for the scattered folk?

el_cuervo_fc

This is taken from the Orchard County website

FROM todays Irish News

THE Armagh senior football squad for the 2008 Championship has been announced. There are no surprise omissions in the 35-man panel and, unsurprisingly, Crossmaglen are best represented. The south Armagh side have eight players in the squad. There is a place for Conor Clarke, brother of Ronan, and for Ronan Austin, who has recovered from a broken ankle picked up in the McKenna Cup clash with Fermanagh. There is no place on the list for Cladys Phillip Loughran and Paul Duffy of Pearse Ogs despite both featuring for Peter McDonnell this year. The panel differentiates slightly from the one that will feature in tomorrow's Irish News Championship supplement which had already gone to print by the time the updated panel was announced.

Armagh SFC panel:

R Austin, F Bellew, C Clarke, R Clarke, P Courtney, B Donaghy, M. Ferris, S Forker, P Hearty, A Kernan, P Kernan, S Kernan, T Kernan, J Lavery, G Loughran, 0 McConville, B McDonald, S McDonnell, P McGrane, C McKeever, P McKeever, D McKenna, C McKinney, E McNulty, A Mallon, B Mallon, F Moriarty, G O'Neill, A O'Rourke, Martin O'Rourke, Micheal O'Rourke, B Shannon, G Swift, K Toner, C Vernon.

Goats Do Shave

Not sure why Duffy is dropped. Never seen him play badly for Armagh!

Surely more deserved than a few of the newer half backs that are named?

Also dissapointed that big Loughran never lived up to all his promise! - He should be in his prime now!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: crossfire on May 14, 2008, 09:42:39 PM
Under 21 Championship

Cross 1-10  Pearse ogs 1-05

a poor game last night.  it only showed a bit of life for 5 minutes in the second half. 

Where u at the game crossfire?  I missed the Kyle carragher incident.  why was he sent off?

doire na raithe

Quote from: qub la la la on May 14, 2008, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: diesel-smuggler on May 14, 2008, 10:46:12 PM
cruppen play crossmaglen in the semi-final of the u21 championship next THURSDAY night in silverbridge!

i would be very disappointed if this is due to the soccer on wednesday night. would like to know from the county board why the u21 championship games are moved from wednesday to thursday?
why would you be so annoyed about this? If the county board have taken this move due to the champions league final i would be very impressed. It would be foolish not to recognise the fact that most players and supporters are not just GAA people but sports people also, not to mention the huge Man Utd following there is in this country. I have no problem accommodating such a huge sporting occasion as the CL final.

doire na raithe

Quote from: diesel-smuggler on May 14, 2008, 10:09:47 PM
cruppen beat tir na nog by a couple of points!  ::)
could someone please post the correct score?

corn02

BC:

Uladh, I would disagree with you a bit there.  The arrogance that I speak of is from a number of players who sneered down their noses at the likes of me,  "how could someone like you win an AI?"  attitude.  The majority of players were fine but one or two were hard work.  As you say though off the field I would have been fairly friendly with most of them and thought they were decent lads.

Now that is pure snobbery from Dromintee folk, a bit rich too. It appears we are judged as quite a cocky club and it would have been something I was unaware of. I know the supporters who go to the away matches (the hardcore!) is made up of the over 40 bracket mainly and is full of people who were around when we were slogging it out in the lower divisions. In all my time following the team there has never been any arrogance from these fans. There is probably a few who run their mouth at times but I think people are realistic that we are a small club with limited success.

Regarding the players, we are a very young team and I don't think they are a cocky bunch. As I say every club has a few slabbers.

bennydorano

Dromintee v Harps meant for Friday night is off, possibly could be on on Sunday or even Monday night!

corn02

Why is it off, Friday night matches are always gret and gives the players the weekend.

Aghdavoyle

Every club has a couple of headers who get carried away on the pitch, none more so than yourselves, but its generally it'd be confined to the heat of games. Players who question other clubs' players' very presence on the same pitch as them are not in short supply round your club either.

i suppose discussion boards are supporters' version of matches!

doire na raithe

Quote from: corn02 on May 15, 2008, 10:31:59 AM
BC:

Now that is pure snobbery from Dromintee folk, a bit rich too. It appears we are judged as quite a cocky club and it would have been something I was unaware of. I know the supporters who go to the away matches (the hardcore!) is made up of the over 40 bracket mainly and is full of people who were around when we were slogging it out in the lower divisions. In all my time following the team there has never been any arrogance from these fans. There is probably a few who run their mouth at times but I think people are realistic that we are a small club with limited success.

Regarding the players, we are a very young team and I don't think they are a cocky bunch. As I say every club has a few slabbers.

Corn, was BC not talking about some of the cross players being arrogant as opposed to their fans like uladh mentioned? I gathered from what he said that it was some of his own players who were lookin down their nose at him. maybe im completely wrong here.

winsamsoon

It's probably off, due to the fact that galway utd  are playing waterford in the quarter final of the eircom shield ffs  >:(.  If the county board has changed the night of the U-21's to a thurs night because of the champions league game then this is a disgrace. It is nothing to do with other sports doire it is the fact that we have gone out of our way to postpone our sports to watch and in a way promote another.

I have said it before football has now become a business, each sport is competing against each other for viewers and crowds etc. It seems like every chance the GAA get to bend over backwards for soccer and rugby now they will do it. I don't see this being recipricated the other way.

What about the people who follow gaelic that are perhaps working on a thurs night and won't be able to get to that game now?? The matches were set for a wed and should be played on a wed never mind what other sports are doing. I know in our club if we were training on wed night we would be training and it wouldn't be changed so as a certain section could go and watch utd play.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

bennydorano

Quote from: corn02 on May 15, 2008, 11:21:34 AM
Why is it off, Friday night matches are always gret and gives the players the weekend.
County players who were in portugal last week were strongly advised to recouperate for one full week because of the intensity of the training, therefore the game would have been played on Friday night without county men and Dromintee didn't want that.  99% certain the game is on Monday night btw.