Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on January 06, 2007, 09:40:09 PM
Just before the season starts I'd like to wish Joe Kernan, the Armagh teams and all their splendid supporters all the very best in 2007. May you achieve my heart's desire.

Thanks Shane - that's decent of you!  :)

Out of curiosity, what is your heart's desire?

ONeill

Ach, you know, this and that. Sort of a muchness since October 2002.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bennydorano

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on January 06, 2007, 08:40:12 PM
There was talk of the Cross Midfielder being a replacement for Paul McGrane a few months ago, didnt find him to impressive today and nowhere near county standard

Any time I've seen that big McKenna lad playing he's been fairly poor.  Charlie Vernon outfielded him on numerous ocassions last week.

pintsofguinness

Terrible game. St. Mary's were poor I thought, any division 1 club team could beat them.  With all the possession we had in the first half we should have been far further in front and we can count ourselves lucky that St. Mary's wasted most of the chances that fell to them.  5 points? in the second half against a team with 14 men is poor.  Stevie was no where near his best. Mckinney made a few errors. Andy Mallon was solid enough though he didnt have much opposition. Marty O'Rourke tried hard. Mal Mackin is not a county standard. Out of the non regulars Swift, I thought, was the best of a bad lot.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Miserable enough day and a miserable game. Was a bit disappointed in Armagh, St mary's were down to 14 men for most of the game and Armagh should have been a bit more clinical in putting them away. St Mary's were fairly limited. Thought Andy Mallon had a decent game and Paudie McCreesh was solid on his debut. In the forwards Stevie was quiet enough but still showed most of the limited quality on show. Got two good second half points. Swift was decent. I think we'll struggle in the forwards this year without Clarke and Brian Mallon, Stevie McDonnell might have to shoulder most of the burden of getting scores.

On another point, did anybody else think that charging £7stg was sticking the hand in a bit?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

QuoteOn another point, did anybody else think that charging £7stg was sticking the hand in a bit?
Yes I did! f**king ridiculous!

Candyman

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Candyman on January 07, 2007, 06:44:12 PM
did toal start/play any part???
Yeah he came off with maybe hmm 10 minutes? to go.

From the BBC
QuoteArmagh still had plenty to spare over St Mary's despite having to dip into their reserve strength for Sunday's Gaelic Life McKenna Cup encounter.

Joe Kernan's side were able to fashion a 0-10 to 0-4 win despite being without a host of regulars at Crossmaglen.

The Ulster Champions led 0-5 to 0-2 at the interval with Steven McDonnell among the scorers.

With full-back Ciaran Toner and JP Donnelly impressing for Armagh, they extended their lead in the second half.
::) Must have been at a different game than me, Toner did ok but JP Donnelly was far from impressive and allowed Ryan Hamill any amount of time and space he wanted. 

Candyman

how did toal play, any good scores?? some reports say nippy faired out ok???

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Candyman on January 07, 2007, 06:57:00 PM
how did toal play, any good scores?? some reports say nippy faired out ok???
Toal and McClelland did a lot of passing the ball around the 40 but that's about it.  Mal Mackin took a good point towards the end thats the only score that stands out for me. I can't say we created one goal chance and the ball dropped into the keepers hands several times. Swift was probably the best of a bad lot. Toner did well in defence but the St. Mary's full forward line was non existant and they played with a two man FF line after they were reduced to 14 just before half time.   

Candyman

its about time nippy realised what he can do and started puttin the effort in??? i hear lavery is bouncin in training, pity he's with the uni at the min???

corn02

hitzelsperger

is tommy hamill from tir na nog called into the armagh panel after today?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: corn02 on January 07, 2007, 07:15:38 PM
How did Hamill fair Pint?
Well through the oul blue and yellow glasses I thought he did well, all things considered, and was probably one of their better players.  He was at wing half forward today and while i don't know too much about St. Mary's or Uni football I don't think half forward is the place for him, in fact it's probably the last place I'd have him.  He spent a lot of time in his own defence and did do a lot of good there. Every attack they had in the first half was worked through him and he was involved in the setting up of three of their four scores. He also intercepted at least 3 passes or you could say they were kicked riight at him.  He did a lot of running in the first half (which Donnelly was happy to let him do) and looked very tired in the second and was replaced with about 10 minutes to go.  It was only then that I seen Donnelly in attack for Armagh.  I don't think he can expect a call from Joe tonight or anything but ffs I don't know what they're thinking playing him there.  We've had him playing an odd time at full forward and he isn't effective there either,he's at his best playing a defensive midfield role and if not that then put him in defence or at the very least CHF where he can steady up the Midifield.
Our brendan Byrne, I dont know if you know him or not corn, got a run out in the last few minutes too though he wasnt there long enough to make an impression. 

Redhandfan

I went along to Ballycrummy yesterday to see the U-21 decider between Cross and Dromintee.  As a neutral, it was decent fare with Cross certainly deserving their victory.  It was a good hard-hitting game and, although Dromintee did have their moments and posed plenty of problems with their route one tactic of high ball into the full forward, there can be no doubt that Cross were the better team. 

I was very impressed with Crossmaglen corner forward Tony Kernan.  It was my first time seeing him in action and he was, in my opinion, their match-winner.  Hanratty at midfield seems like a fine player but, as his sending-off proved, he is a bit of a loose cannon.  And speaking of loose cannons, Cross goalkeeper Alan Hearty could easily have cost his side the game with some of his antics.  His cockiness could yet prove to be his downfall.  Cross' domination at midfield was key to their victory because, had the Dromintee full forward received a more plentiful supply of ball, he could have inflicted serious damage.

A couple of other observations....the referee (Barney Henry) was far too fussy at times and prevented this from being a really good game.....a section of the Crossmaglen support got quite mouthy towards the end by abusing both the referee and some of the Dromintee players.  The Dromintee crowd, in contrast, remained dignified even in defeat.

I believe Crossmaglen have completed the clean sweep in Armagh this year with minor, U-21 and senior success.  Their dominance at senior level might never end....is this a bad thing for Armagh football?