Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: illdecide on January 05, 2007, 08:50:11 AM
I've heard that that fella Micky Austin is meant to be a bit of a legend up that neck of the woods.

:D :D :D I wouldn't say thats for his footballing abilities

Smokin Joe

Thought I'd start this thread before Dean Nullec beat me to it!!!!!

O'Connell's GAC Tullysaran have just stated a prize draw where the first prize is a Mitsibushi L200 (one of those double cab pick up yokes). 

For any of you that aren't aware Tullysaran currently do not have a playable pitch and the aim of this fundraising is to improve the facilities for the club, the first task will be to carry out work on the current pitch so that it can be playable in the near future.

The tickets come in books of 3 for £20 (or 1 ticket for a tenner).

If anyone feels that they would like to support this noble cause then send me a PM and I will organise something, or alternatively buy some tickets from the sellers that you will see at the upcoming county matches.

Thanks

trueblue

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 05, 2007, 01:20:45 AM
trueblue
Quotepints who do you think from the bridge deserves to get a chance to play in mc kenna cup? only 2 i would think would be niall and miceal reel.
Two great lads but not who'd I'd pick first for county duty. Who deserves a chance? Cormac McEvoy, playing some great stuff for us for the last few years, himself and Ciaran Conlon are the two players we have who'd currently be county standard.
Micheal Reel is an excellent keeper, has it all, shot stopper, excellent under high ball, intelligence clearances, excellent kickout but this was his first year of senior football and although he hasn't put a foot wrong I think it's too soon. Give him and Gerard McGarvey (you must remember gerry's performance in u21 game?) another 12 months and they'll be county standard too.
I'm not sure if I'd say Niall Reel is county standard though he, and a few others, would not look out of place on the mckenna cup panel. Niall is the type of player you don't really appreciate until he's not there. Quietly goes about his business without a fuss, he had Stevie McDonnell in his arse pocket a few weeks ago, I'd love to see if he could do for the county what he does for us.
But lets face it, these boys will probably not get their chance, not under Joe anyway.

Quotefrom playing against culloville a few times this year do you think there is any of our players could be worth a shout?
Ah I wouldnt have a clue to be honest, no one really stood out but that doesnt mean there isnt someone of the ability there.
I dont play either, far too oul, lazy and big boned.

cant say i really rate mc evoy that highly to be honest with you. any time he played against us this year he didnt impress me and he was nowhere to be seen when the going got tough in the 2nd half of the play off final,thats not to say however that he didnt play well against other teams,he may have done so but he was never terribly effective against us.  conlons on the uuj mc kenna cup panel so he has a good chance to make an impression on it but i would imagine he will be left with the armagh u21s for this year anyway. for me niall reel is the heartbeat of the bridge team and hes by far the best player yous have. hes a good leader and never throws the head at it. its a joke he never made last years u21 team never mind the panel

its hard to see too many of the young lads on the present mc kenna cup panel making much of an impression but you would never know.

just on a different point,what is the story this year in relation to county players, are they going to be allowed more playing time during the league with their clubs or is this going to be restricted in the way that it has been in the last 4 or 5 years?

Uladh

I'm not generally one for defending Joe (bc will back that up) but it must be very difficult to keep a handle on all of the potential in the county. i will say that he should have a network of reliable scouts watching all of the senior and u21 football in the county through the year. if this were done, those who are making the right shapes should be looked at at the end of the season while lads are still training and in shape. i refuse to believe the claims that joe just takes the recommendations of his sons on who is and isn't good enough for county football in armagh.

Aghdavoyle - i find that very difficult to believe

David McKeown

Not 100% sure what age Smyth is but I dont think hes more than 3 years older than me so that would have him around 25.  The only reason I suggest him is that he was in the panel in 2002 and for me he is playing better football in a higher division now
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

trueblue

Quote from: Uladh on January 05, 2007, 10:50:00 AM

I'm not generally one for defending Joe (bc will back that up) but it must be very difficult to keep a handle on all of the potential in the county. i will say that he should have a network of reliable scouts watching all of the senior and u21 football in the county through the year. if this were done, those who are making the right shapes should be looked at at the end of the season while lads are still training and in shape. i refuse to believe the claims that joe just takes the recommendations of his sons on who is and isn't good enough for county football in armagh.

thats a good idea uladh. its not physically possible for joe to be at all league games saying they are all played at the same time on the same day however he should have scouts looking out for players over the period of the whole seson. this would give him a chance to draw up a list of players who have been playing well etc. never heard that rumour that he just goes on the recommendations of his sons,wher has that come from?

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: Uladh on January 05, 2007, 10:50:00 AM
Aghdavoyle - i find that very difficult to believe

well i'm just saying what i was told

illdecide

No harm to ya Aghdavoyle but out off all them lads mentioned A o'Rourke is the only fella with a slim chance of getting a game at Louth (and he does need to slim down a bit as well) , the rest of them lads are just good club players. I seen a fair bit of Louth last year and they don't need them.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

trueblue

i went to college with lads from the same club as smith and they were always raving about him being deadly,ive never actually seen him play tho hes supposed to have a lethal left foot. if he manages to prove himself in division 2 next year he could be in with an outside chance of a recall

pintsofguinness

Trueblue
Quotecant say i really rate mc evoy that highly to be honest with you. any time he played against us this year he didnt impress me and he was nowhere to be seen when the going got tough in the 2nd half of the play off final,thats not to say however that he didnt play well against other teams,he may have done so but he was never terribly effective against us.  conlons on the uuj mc kenna cup panel so he has a good chance to make an impression on it but i would imagine he will be left with the armagh u21s for this year anyway. for me niall reel is the heartbeat of the bridge team and hes by far the best player yous have. hes a good leader and never throws the head at it. its a joke he never made last years u21 team never mind the panel
I only seen the second league game and the playoff against yous and  I can't say Cormac was at his best in either of those, to be fair he wasn't on his own. I've seen him a lot more than you and trust me he's county standard.  There are some faults with his game but he has the talent.  He's turned 24 now and I think has done enough in club football to be given, at the very least, a chance.
Ciaran Conlon has turned 20 now and has only one more year with u21s (he misses a second year by a few weeks), there has been several called on to the county senior panel at the same age and he is as good, if not better than some of those.  He warmed the county u21 bench last year which was a joke though not nearly as big of joke as Niall Reel not being included in the panel.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

corn02

ILLdecide you obviously have not seen much of them Dromintee boys then.

bennydorano

Cross beat Domintee 1-14 to 1-9, I only caught the second half but Dromintee were unfortunate as they missed at least 3 really good goal chances- all created by the havoc that  O'Neill (Gareth or Shane?) caused at FF in the second half with a good wind behind them.

That Hanratty seems to be a bit of a knave, I noticed it last week when Cross hammered the harps, but he was as bad again this week, at least he got sent off this week.  Tony Kernan for Cross looks like he could the pick of the JK litter, excellent again.

umgolaarmagh

I thought Hanrantty should have got the line early in the second half, Cross deserved the victory in what was an entertaining game.

There was talk of the Cross Midfielder being a replacement for Paul McGrane a few months ago, didnt find him to impressive today and nowhere near county standard

As for Dromitee, they never let up and if they had of taken a few goal chances then the result might have been different but Cross also had goal chances at the other end.

ONeill

Just before the season starts I'd like to wish Joe Kernan, the Armagh teams and all their splendid supporters all the very best in 2007. May you achieve my heart's desire.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Crossmaglen cannot seem to do much wrong at any level of competition and they look set to dominate for another decade, Dromintee seem to have shot their bolt and the Harps will close the gap in the next couple of years but I dunno if they are going to be good enough to beat Cross when it matters in the championship.

The only bright spot about their domination is that the county is full of their players and we are always among the top few teams in the country but still, their domination of Armagh football is way beyond old.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.