Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Exile

Former Armagh coaching officer, Paul Kelly, has been handed a new role in the county as chairman of the Armagh Hurling Board.

Although not all the relevant information was available at the time of going to press it is known that Paul's new role was ratified at a county board meeting on Monday night.

The Lurgan man for the past five years held the office of Armagh coaching officer which was primarily a football position, but with the county's hurling board out of office for the past number of seasons the move could be seen by some as an attempt to stabilise hurling in Armagh, which recently has been going through a difficult period.

Paul Kelly recently made no secret of the fact that in his opinion he was 'by-passed' for the Armagh Under-21 job yet his recent appointment has come as a surprise and could cause ripples amongst some of the more traditional hurling folk

Courtesy Lurgan Mail

hightower

any word on ulster football league groups

pintsofguinness

yes, they are a few pages back on this thread, on the thread about the ulster league in the GAA discussion (that's probably fell back a few pages) and on orchardcounty.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

qub la la la

Quote from: gander on January 24, 2008, 09:12:32 AM
Quotei notice that from the panel listed, to my knowledge there is no players listed who are eligible for the u21 team this year whi is also run in the early part of the year. from this i would imagine that the door for the likes of k o'rourke, etc is still open and these lads will join the panel if and when armagh's interest in the u21 championships is finished

Stefan Forker is def eligible for U21, Michael O'Rourke is as well I think.

michael o'rourke captained the u21s the season before last in his last year as an under 21. think your correct on forker though according to the irish news today.

on the ammalamated teams, have played against cavanakill gaels before (newtown and beleek) so i presume the cavanakill emmets would also include players from dorsey emmets. still, when we played them they were still useless. no offence intended.

And paul kelly wasnt by-passed for the u21 job, it was never a case of mcdonnell vacating the post in the first place. kelly was actually looking to be involved with the minors again to my knowledge.... mcshane had other ideas and has landed the job.

lisdoon1

Quote from: topgun on September 10, 2007, 11:39:37 AM
nothing to do with the thread, thought i would take the opportunity to let us no that if anyones interested poker classic (texas) in the Harps club Armagh on friday night, 8 30pm start, £20 in, proceeds in aid of mencap, member of the harps running the New York marathon in november, all support greatly welcomed, see www.justgiving.com/paulhagan if anyone would like to contribute.

Thanks Topgun

Top gun, did you actually do this? How much did you raise?

balladmaker

Can anyone confirm the name of the new Wolfe Tones manager?

Out in Front

Sean Kelly will not be taking part in the Q&A but Ross Carr has kindly agreed to take his place.

For those who may be interested, among the prizes in the raffle we're having on the night is a Kerry jersey signed by last year's All-Ireland winning team.

Gaelic Life GAA Q & A NIGHT
In association with the Newry Reporter
In aid of the 
SOUTHERN AREA HOSPICE SERVICES

In the CANAL COURT HOTEL, NEWRY
On WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 6, 2008
@ 7.45pm - TICKETS £10

MC for the evening, the BBC's MARK SIDEBOTTOM

Taking your questions will be
JARLATH BURNS, JOE KERNAN, JOE BROLLY & ROSS CARR

Tickets are available at the door on the night or they can be purchased in advance from the following:
Darren / Mairead, Gaelic Life, 14 John Street, Omagh, BT78 1DW. Tel: 028 8225 5959
Paul Welsh, Newry Reporter, 4 Margaret Street, Newry, BT35 1DF. Tel: 028 3026 7633

(please make cheque payable to Southern Area Hospice Services)

illdecide

Quote from: balladmaker on January 24, 2008, 10:30:53 PM
Can anyone confirm the name of the new Wolfe Tones manager?

Mr M Magill from Co Down. £120 a week + expenses. Has he 2 all-irelands or just 1?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SouthArmaghBandit

It's great to have the championship fixtures sorted out and published in January. It makes team preparation easier and allows lads to book holidays.

Candyman

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on January 25, 2008, 09:17:20 AM
It's great to have the championship fixtures sorted out and published in January. It makes team preparation easier and allows lads to book holidays.
I wouldnt say they are sorted out, they are a complete f*ck up!!!! >:(

full back

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on January 25, 2008, 09:17:20 AM

Just because dates have been set doesnt mean games will be played then, going on previous years

balladmaker

QuoteMr M Magill from Co Down. £120 a week + expenses. Has he 2 all-irelands or just 1?

That's what I heard rumoured but was surprised by it.  Thanks for confirming.  I wonder what the connection was to bring him from Warrenpoint to Derrymacash?

From memory, I think he has one All Ireland, not sure about 2, but I stand to be corrected.  I remember he had to stop playing due to a serious head injury, he was told that one more heavy knock to the head could kill him. 

Don't know what prior managerial experience he has, maybe just cutting his teeth with the Tones.

illdecide

Quote from: balladmaker on January 25, 2008, 12:02:01 PM
QuoteMr M Magill from Co Down. £120 a week + expenses. Has he 2 all-irelands or just 1?

That's what I heard rumoured but was surprised by it.  Thanks for confirming.  I wonder what the connection was to bring him from Warrenpoint to Derrymacash?

From memory, I think he has one All Ireland, not sure about 2, but I stand to be corrected.  I remember he had to stop playing due to a serious head injury, he was told that one more heavy knock to the head could kill him. 

Don't know what prior managerial experience he has, maybe just cutting his teeth with the Tones.

You would have thought they would have learned their lesson last year with a rookie manager. But i suppose you have to start somewhere. A member of the tones committee told me 2 weeks ago before M Magill was appointed that they would never go down the road of paying anyone to manage their club ::) ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Uladh

Magill managed his own club - warrenpoint - last year. he was one all ireland from 94, when he won mom in the final