Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh Exile

Pints,
What about the Under-21 game between yourselves and St Pats at Silverbridge.
What is your Under-21's like.  Apparently Cullyhanna a fairly strong.

Hank Everlast

Benny, I think there was a mistake wen handing in the form (the clubs own fault) probably the case of an unticked box or something.  The club is in the process of trying to rectify the problem now, dunno if its too late or wat the story is! Wud be a shame as the minors are still a pretty healthy side this year!

Uladh

This is the first time in memory that i'm completely uninspired by cub championship draws. maybe the cross dominance has finally been assimilated into the system!

Goats Do Shave

Are the Ogs their main contenders?

illdecide

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 22, 2008, 01:54:17 PM

And with Ballyheagon's history they will be feared throught the country not just the county (Sorry you were getting on my Goat ;) :D)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

MOJO

We might as well revert to an FA Cup stlye Competition as opposed to the current set-up we have in the Armagh Championships. If Clady had beaten Collegeland in this year's Junior, they could have been drew against Cullyhanna in the 1st round of this years Intermediate. A first division side against a fourth division side. Surely it's time to re-vamp the championships, so that they truly reflect the league standings. Any thoughts?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: illdecide on January 22, 2008, 02:05:02 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 22, 2008, 01:54:17 PM

And with Ballyheagon's history they will be feared throught the country not just the county (Sorry you were getting on my Goat ;) :D)

Eh!? - Not sure why you've posted that!

I named Ballyhegan for the Intermediate (more in hope than expectation!) - I'm fully aware it'll probably come down to one of 3 south Armagh neighbours!

- Going on the last few years, The Davitts will struggle against St Peter's! - though here's hoping Big Turley can work a bit of magic!

winsamsoon

The board gets pettier every day i see it. Imagine suggesting that the clans only got a bye because they hold the position of  county chairman. Either way it shalll be an interesting start to another year with the Cross and Dromintee. It will be the usual hype and Dromintee will flop. The Dromintee boys won't agree but i think it will be as you were.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

bennydorano

Well, it was a bit of a joke ::), although the Clanns could do with all the help they can get

Uladh

Quote from: winsamsoon on January 22, 2008, 02:20:33 PM
The board gets pettier every day i see it. Imagine suggesting that the clans only got a bye because they hold the position of  county chairman. Either way it shalll be an interesting start to another year with the Cross and Dromintee. It will be the usual hype and Dromintee will flop. The Dromintee boys won't agree but i think it will be as you were.

I haven't heard anyone expect dromintee to beat cross in a couple of years, even dromintee men. that hardly constitutes hype?

winsamsoon

The HYPE would be in the build up to the math Uladh :-\. Not the hype about Dromintee winning. I have also read comments expressing the opinion that Dromintee may be the only team to beat Cross and this has been on this board. So if you haven't seen it then i don't know what you have been reading. You guys say it was a bit funny seeing the clans getting a bye but i don't think for one minute the other delegates of the the county board especially the South Armagh ones, who hold a certain veto would sit back and allow mishaps that would favour north Armagh or Mid teams. :o
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

The banter was good and friendly there for a few months and all of a suden the draw for the championship comes out and so does the knives. Excellent :D :D :D

I think we could all do with a bit of luck when it comes to the championship i.e."cross factor" but i have been saying for a couple of years now and i'll stand by it "when Oisin and the twins retire/get to old the Cross will be beaten in Armagh" i know they have exceptional young lads on the team but look back over the years any time they ever got rattled it was always one of them men pulling them out of a hole and players of that quality cannot be replaced.

P.S. Goats only having a laugh ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Uladh

very true Illdecide. they're the main men all right.

winsam - i think you re imagining things... you better post up an oul quote there in case you could be deemed a spoofer!
by the way, one poster makes a tongue in cheek suggestion about your bye and suddenly the whole world's out to get you?

brokencrossbar1

Illdecide, there is some meritin what you say, but it must also be seen in the overall picture.  Do you honestly believe that Cross will suddenly implode and stop losing Championships.  What may happen is that they will stop winning countless ones in a row, but I seriously cannot see there being any sustained gap in them winning.

Factor in this, of the teams that have been challenging Cross, Dromintee have a small pick of players and subsequently will find it more difficult to maintain their challenge, the Harps have a strong group of young fellas but with no real leaders on the pitch to drive them on, the Clans are similar.  The Ogs are a serious threat but there is a physcological thing there with them.  Couple this with the fact that Cross have an under age structure geared to generating players who can seemlessly fit into the senior squad, then you see that there is potentially a huge gap overall for teams to bridge.  I am not saying Cross will win 10 in a row again, but 5 out of  ten is a serious possibility and if you see that as teams making inroads well I have to disagree.

Interesting draw, and I wiould say that depending on how the AI goes for Cross this may be Dromintee's best chance to catch them.  The early rounds are always the hardest to win so Dromintee now have 3-4 months of complete focus with only one goal in mind.  Can they take it?Time will tell!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Armagh Exile on January 22, 2008, 12:57:57 PM
Pints,
What about the Under-21 game between yourselves and St Pats at Silverbridge.
What is your Under-21's like.  Apparently Cullyhanna a fairly strong.

I don't think we'll be as strong as the last 3 or 4 years (though we haven't performed when it mattered). This years u21 team will probably be the seven or eight lads who were the backbone of the 2006 minor team (beaten by cross in the semi final) mixed with minors but we wouldn't be particularly strong in that area at the minute.  I think we'll have a better chance next year and after that I'd say it'll be a while before we're challengers in the u21s.  With the players and teams we've had in the last 3/4 years imho we should have won at least one, if not two, under 21 championships.  I don't really understand why we haven't performed.  :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?