Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: crossfire on January 17, 2008, 09:38:43 PM
Did paul courtney play in goals for armagh minors  4 or 5 years ago ?

Yeah he played nets in his 1st year on the minor's  - then full back on his second year. By the time the u21s came round he was playing midfield & half forwards.

bennydorano

Quote from: Against the Breeze on January 17, 2008, 09:47:10 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2008, 12:38:37 PM
Paul Courtney could turn out to be the best MF option of our current young hopefuls(probably the most under rated), very good last night v Antrim for QUB, I hope he gets a run in the NFL, is he still U21 this year?

What game were you watching last night? Midfield were QUB was anonymous for  80% of the game with the only one shining round the middle was Aodhan Gallaghar.  They wouldn't be my first choice in running for Partnering McGrane.  From Sunday I would think McDonnell would strongly be considering O'Neill but its only January and there is a lot of fooball to be played between now and June. 
If u read the wee report I gave on the game you might actually see what I wrote.  The Courtney thing is a general statement, although I thought he did an awful lot of work v Antrim.

Uladh

In terms of out and out midfielders it'd be my opinion that O'Neill is at the head of the quartet. he has the capacity to field some great high ball. that said, there is much more to playing midfield than catching kickouts. vernon is the best all round footballer and i'd go with him alongside mcgrane through the league. looking at mcdonnell's selections though i'd guess he'll use vernon at wing forward. lavery is certainly a talented big fella but strikes me as a lazy fecker during games. courtney seems to have a big appetite for work and a great knack at winning ball but his distribution might let him down at that level. he'll probably be a wing forward at county level too.

Loughran will have to be given the opportunity to prove he can produce the goods ahead of all of those lads.

tintin25

Quote from: corn02 on January 17, 2008, 09:15:34 PM
Naoplean Illdecide told you he was a blue ok, a Dromintee man through and through so lay off.

Vernon definetely the better prospect, plenty of talent coming through in Armagh Football. Can not understand people thinking Armagh football is doomed.

Was at the Queens/Antrim game as a neutral. Have to say that Vernon looked pretty ordinary...trying to run through boys and going no-where. Might have been able to do that at U16 level but not county. Courtney looked the better of the two. I was impressed by O'Rourke who was operating at centre forward though...anyone know if he is pushing for a county position?

Glensman

Outsider joining in to make a comment...and then slip back to the relative peace of the fun loving Antrim section.

Round this time of the the year with the January depression on I try and ease the pain by looking forward to summer of hurling and the lesser sport football by having a sniff round and seeing what other counties are up to and how their preparations are going.

I can safely say (though no doubt my comment will be shouted down) that the Armagh section is the most personal and selective thread. You wouldn't really want to be one of these players on the fringes who get villified for playing sh1te, not being at the races, being nowhere near ready when all they are doing is slogging their guts out in the cold and rain (probably more likely in the gym with Swiss balls and personal trainers) trying to make an impact for their county who they would love to make the squad for let alone play for.

I have played with a couple of the players who are being discussed. Vernon for one is a class act, a gentleman and has the potential to be some footballer as he has the best attitude I have ever seen. And some of the others are dedicated gaels who have made sacrifices to get them where they are.

Armagh are a quality footballing county who are arguably having a few lean years and rebuilding after Geezer and a few others departed the scene - why the f*ck would anyone bust their balls training if they even read one page of the stuff here. Most regular posters will know how much this site is viewed by people who don't post given the air time is has received recently.

I'm all for calling a spade a spade, when a player plays badly its our job as supporters to say so but I just leave it there.

Anyhow...almost the weekend.

Imposerous

When Corss' campaign is over are Martin Aherne, Paul McKeown and Tony Kernan likely to get a run in senior colours?

Uladh

Thanks for that Glensman. now don't let the door hit you on the way back to your own thread of low expectations.

I'm led to believe there'll be 9 Cross men on the county panel this year -

Hearty
Bellew
Kernan
Kernan
Kernan
Kernan
McKeown
McKenna
McConville

Imposerous

Cheers, Uladh, your sources are usually quite sound.

He ain't heavy, he my brother.

I like the cut of young McKeown's gib, and I'd have Tony in the forward line long before Stephen. Paul seems a solid performer, but hard to say how he'd perform regularly among inter-county players.

full back

Quote from: Uladh on January 18, 2008, 10:42:21 AM
Hearty
Bellew
Kernan
Kernan
Kernan
Kernan
McKeown
McKenna
McConville

Which Mc Keown uladh?

illdecide

Lads was speaking To County chairman last night in the club and i asked him was the draw still on for Monday he said it is supposed to be but out of the 40 clubs only 22 so far have applied for championship football. WTF, so does the other 18 clubs not want to play championship?

Obviously the draw will not take place on Monday unless the rest of the 18 apply before then. Maybe this is the new way to beat Crossmaglen, rip up their application for the championship and throw them out ;) :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Uladh

bud

Quote from: Imposerous on January 18, 2008, 11:07:35 AM
Cheers, Uladh, your sources are usually quite sound.

Uladh who were your sources saying Martin Ferris was off the panel.
Not true as far as i'm aware.

In fairness to Glensman.  He is correct - does be some shit wrote aboout players on here.
Can you really try and judge them on their playing ability at this time of the year?

Uladh

So there should be a period of discussion prohibition between november and april?

Like it or not these players have to prove their worth now, in whatever conditions prevail. McDonnell has to judge them now after all. personal abuse is obviously wrong but the playing capabilities and potential of all players are fair game. tough love most of the time.

mackers

Glensman used Charlie Vernon as an example of players being criticised, I think all posters here would like to see Charlie in our championship team so I think he's picked a bad example. Can't remember any Armagh poster criticising Charlie (why would we?), the debate is to where he would be best used on the team, surely that's fair enough.  Tintin criticised him in a post there, I stand to be corrected but I don't think he's an Armagh poster.

Uladh, surely Paul McKeown would be the better prospect given his better performances in the Ulster campaign for Cross. He also plays in a positon that we could be doing with some cover in, Skinny is a wing back and i think that's one area that we are relatively strong in.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Uladh