Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

I may be wrong, but werent The GAA at croke park in talks about abolishing the U21 and minor c'ships and creating a new U19 c'ship, or was it just talking shite for the sake of talking shite :)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

corn02

I would imagine that there will be a second team because from my own clubs viewpoint there are two or three lads who should probably make the squad or be very close. Not sure if one is the right age though.

AFS

I reckon there's a load of fella that are just straight onto the panel. The likes of Toner and McClelland from Granmore wouldn't need to go to trials.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: AFS on November 22, 2007, 06:18:37 PM
I reckon there's a load of fella that are just straight onto the panel. The likes of Toner and McClelland from Granmore wouldn't need to go to trials.

are they still u21 next year?  cant be.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

topgun

is the new senior management team the U21 management?
a prophet is not recognised by his own

AFS

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 22, 2007, 06:30:15 PM
Quote from: AFS on November 22, 2007, 06:18:37 PM

are they still u21 next year?  cant be.

I think they are, they were on the minor team in 2005 with Dyas, McKenna etc. From my reckoning there were very few of last year's team overage this year, just a few like Vernon, Courtney, Lavery and Donaghy (although those boys will be hard to replace).

winsamsoon

Lads ffs it is the same with any trial that has ever occured in Armagh. The majority of the team is already picked from the so called dominant clubs. Anyone on the list for the early trials will be fringe players at most. This is an absolute disgrace because everyone should earn a place on the team and go for a trial wih the rest. This is what discourages young fellows from playing senior football with their clubs. They go to these trials and play well but yet they never get a second bite of the cherry. So it is a trial basically to give the minnows no excuse to say the management that they deserved a trial. It used to be the same with the college players they used join Armagh minor panels about 2 months into the season and then when the panel was cut till the 24 it was the lads who had been there from the start of the year. Now i am not saying that you shouldn't pick your best players but you most go about it in the correct way. Make the trials fair and equal and totally visible to the public then there will be no arguments and confussion about the whole issue.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteThis is what discourages young fellows from playing senior football with their clubs.

In fairness I think most young fellas play for their clubs for the sake of it, not just to get onto a county panel.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

illdecide

Winsam has a fair point there. Lads told me last year about the U21's that they started of with about 60 lads for trials and withered it down every week yet come near the end of the trials that there was only about 4 places up for grabs as the big guns have still to come in. FFS what way is that to treat them young lads, i trained and managed a good lot of our young lads and they always told me there was no point in going to these trials as the team was already picked with the exception of 3-4 positions. I know you should go and give it your all and make them pick you with your performances but it's not a very good incentive for them knowing 3/4 of the team is already in place.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

seeheartalk

McKenna Cup draw. 3 games in seven days and we have to go to Cavan in midweek.
Balls

downtown

toner and mc celland are still u21 but toner has just left 4 australia, but dnt no how long he is gone 4!! so he may not b playin next yr at all!

winsamsoon

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 22, 2007, 09:30:14 PM
QuoteThis is what discourages young fellows from playing senior football with their clubs.

In fairness I think most young fellas play for their clubs for the sake of it, not just to get onto a county panel.

And who said they played for their clubs to get onto a county panel????? I was talking about players who are coming through the ranks and when they reach minor and under 21, which is a crucial stage then they are sent for Armagh trials, which are a farce. They then adopt a bad attitude and decide well if there is no reward in this then maybe we should just drink on saturdays before games and maybe we just won't turn up. I don't think i know anyone on our senior panel who plays as you say "just for the sake of it" I think any fella who trains sometimes 3 times a week and at 7 on saturday morning has a little more at stake than "just for the sake of it" TacadoirArdMhacha If you have players at your club who just turn up for the sake of it then i suggest you start building a team with players who actually care. I don't know what club you are from but, i can rule out Cross, because i know everyone of them guys play damn hard to keep the shirt on their backs as do many other clubs.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

bennydorano

Quote from: downtown on November 23, 2007, 02:06:05 PM
toner and mc celland are still u21 but toner has just left 4 australia, but dnt no how long he is gone 4!! so he may not b playin next yr at all!
McClelland has wrecked his knee from what I hear and he'll hardly be playing before late spring.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: illdecide on November 23, 2007, 09:14:57 AM
Winsam has a fair point there. Lads told me last year about the U21's that they started of with about 60 lads for trials and withered it down every week yet come near the end of the trials that there was only about 4 places up for grabs as the big guns have still to come in. FFS what way is that to treat them young lads, i trained and managed a good lot of our young lads and they always told me there was no point in going to these trials as the team was already picked with the exception of 3-4 positions. I know you should go and give it your all and make them pick you with your performances but it's not a very good incentive for them knowing 3/4 of the team is already in place.
I don't understand why everyone isn't treated equally. 

ARMAGH MINOR FOOTBALL TRIALS

Newly appointed Armagh Minor Football team manager, Paul McShane, has organised squad trials for tomorrow (Saturday 24th November) at Fr Dan McGeown Park, Derrytrasna, for North Armagh player and at St Patrick's College, Armagh for Mid Armagh players. On Sunday Peter Keeley Park, Silverbridge is the venue for South Armagh players.

North Armagh
The following North Armagh players are requested to attend Fr Dan McGeown Park (Sarsfields) at 9.15am on Saturday 24th November:-
Annaghmore: O MacLomhar, C McCann, N McGilly
Clan na Gael: N Cumiskey, C McKendry, G Morgan, S O'Hagan, S Farren, J Stewart, N McCann, S Campbell
Clonmore: J Grimley
St Paul's: A Ganley, A Murin, D Toal, N McParland, D McDonald, A McCaughley, C Toman
St Peter's: N Creaney, O Magee, E Haughian, C Keegan, P Hughes, D Kelly, S McCaughley, S Marshall, T Flynn
Sarsfields: M Stevenson, M Murray, D Breen, S Tighe
Tir na nÓg: A Kelly, T Mulholland, M Davidson, B Reid, S Kelly

Mid Armagh
The following Mid Armagh players are requested to attend St Patrick's College, Armagh at 12.15pm on Saturday 24th November:-
Ballyhegan: S Fearon, S McNally, G Quinn, J McKeever, A Kelly, R Devlin, S McNally
Ballymacnab: N Gribbon, R Grugan, R Kennedy, G McParland
Clady: D McParland, J Dillon
Derrynoose: S McNaughton, M Lennon, D Vallely
Granemore: P McClelland, J Carr, D Carr, S Rafferty, C Rafferty, JJ Powell
Pearse Og: J Graham, L Ward, A Duffy, M Gribben, S Coady

South Armagh
The following South Armagh Players are requested to attend Peter Keeley Park, Silverbridge at 8.45am:-
Belleek: D McGovern, C Toner, B O'Callaghan, B McDonnell, L Quinn
Carrickcruppen: P McCullough, T Hughes, K McVerry, C O'Grady, M Fallon, D Crozier, D Monaghan
Corrinshego: D Markey, R McWilliams, J Dinsmore
Culloville: N Watters, B Watters, N Rowland, C Hoey, P Caherty
Dromintee: C O'Neill, F Murphy, E Fearon, P Courtney, S Egan
Forkhill: P Curran, S Sheridan
Killeavey: C King, J Donnelly, K Downey, C McNulty, J McGuinness
Lissummon: S Matthews
O'Hanlon's: D Hudson, R Hudson
St Michael's: P O'Rourke, C Watters, D Mullen
St Patrick's: E McArdle, T Donnelly, R Tasker, C O'Neill, S McGlade, K McEvoy
Shane O'Neill's: K McParland, C O'Neill, M McKeown, NP Lennon, P O'Brien
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

David McKeown

Great article about Andrew, one of the finest men I have ever had the priviledge of knowing and i think the other accident being refered to involved Paul.  Andrew and his family have gone through so much on recent years but hes never been one to complain.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner