Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Everlast

rufus, its not official word but I think JP's transfer went through at 6pm on sunday.

Onion Bag

I was reading that Geezer is officially the new Kildare Manager, Does anyone know, is Kildare in the same division as Armagh for the league, Cant remember the outcome last year, i know they played last season, if it is the case that they are playing, it will be so stange to see Geezer and Grimley calling for the other team, as Mc Conville, "Its Armaghs loss, and someone elses Gain"
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Hank Everlast on October 03, 2007, 08:34:01 AM
rufus, its not official word but I think JP's transfer went through at 6pm on sunday.

Jp's transfer was approved by croke park on friday.  It became official on monday.

Candyman

I may have picked this up wrong but...  ::)
I think what Rufus is trying to say is that potentially we could have had these players on the field sunday last but for 1 reason or another they were not????

Orior

Quote from: Onion Bag on October 03, 2007, 08:38:32 AM
I was reading that Geezer is officially the new Kildare Manager, Does anyone know, is Kildare in the same division as Armagh for the league, Cant remember the outcome last year, i know they played last season, if it is the case that they are playing, it will be so stange to see Geezer and Grimley calling for the other team, as Mc Conville, "Its Armaghs loss, and someone elses Gain"

Either way, a spell in Division 2 is just what the new manager needs, getting a few wins under our belts (possibly without the Cross boys). Am lucking forward to it, as they say in south Armagh.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 02, 2007, 04:28:01 PM
Have to say that I enjoy these sort of discussions about football within the County. Someone mentioned (was it Maximus) that Cross winning twelve in a row points to a bad standard of club football - I would disagree with that. Maximus also pointed out that Cross winning twelve in a row pointed to the rest having a mental block with Cross, I would agree with that assertion.

Over the twelve years that Cross have dominated in Armagh, there are in my opinion, four teams who could have given an Ulster Club a good rattle.

Mullaghbawn 1996-98. Bear in mind, when Cross won their first Ulster Title, Mullaghbawn were the existing Ulster Club Champions, and their team had the McNultys, Geezer, Neil Smyth and Benny Tierney as it's backbone, and were still a formidable side - if memory serves me well, Cross beat Mullaghbawn in Silverbridge in 1996 in a quarter final, and pulled away late on to win by 4/5. They met again in the 1997 final, and Cross, the exisitng All Ireland Club Champions, edged it by a point. After that, Mullaghbawn began to lose their big players, and faded away - they were for those three years, in my opinion, a top five in Ulster side - their clashes with Cross would support that.

Clan na Gael 1997-99 Another club littered with excellent players at the peak of their powers, the O'Hagans, John Campbell, Philip Oldham, the Marsdens - won back to back Armagh titles in 1993/94, hammering the Mullaghbawn side in the 1994 final that would go on to win Ulster a year later. Not as good as Mullaghbawn above, but I would have said a top 6/7 side in Ulster in the period above.  

Pearse Og 1999-2001 Alright, pains me to say it, but they had a very good team in this period, but were unfortunate to come up against Cross at the height of their powers in 1999 and 2000. The Ogs had a very young team, full of exciting footballers, and in my opinion would have been a top 9 club in Ulster at that time. This was the first time though that I saw serious challengers who clearly had a mental block about Cross. From 2001 on, they fell to three in the County as the challenge of Dromintee arose, and Dromintee were a hurdle that they could not overcome. The Ogs came back again in the first round in 2005 and had Cross at their mercy on two occasions, but the mental block arose again, and a few chances to finish them off were not taken. Plus Dessie Henderson had one of his more eccentric performances at a vital time!  :) The real losers that night though were Dromintee!  ;)

Dromintee 2001-2004 Another excellent side full of great footballers. They run Cross close on a few occasions, at a point where both sides were giving their all and the result was very much in doubt. Were the second serious challenger however to come undone by the mental block, when winning chances presented themselves. After a  few defeats, it was clear that Cross had their number. In my opinion, that Dromintee side were top five in Ulster - no question about it they would have been in the running for an Ulster Club Title - they just could not get out of their own County. I get the impression though that Dromintee now feel that their chance has gone and they now play with the acceptance that they will not win the County title. I believe this lack of self belief is now shared by the other main contenders.

As of now, Cross are way out in front and comfortably so. Dromintee, in my opinion, would be second on their own and after that I would see a group of Ogs, Harps, Mullaghbawn with Maghery showing signs of improvement.  

I will quote what Oisin Mc Conville said after they had won their second All Ireand and he was asked the question about their chances in winning a famous third.....'the only team who can stop us is Bellaghy'

seamusthebard

Max, that was a good Bellaghy team, thought they should have won an All-Ireland. Who was the Bellaghy player who hit the terrible penalty that would have won it on the terrible day in Croke Park?

deadeyedick

Rufus agree with you 100%, maybe this is why Harps have won only 2 senior c'ships in last 50 years and yet still considered a big club!

SuperHans

Max, that was a good Bellaghy team, thought they should have won an All-Ireland. Who was the Bellaghy player who hit the terrible penalty that would have won it on the terrible day in Croke Park?

STB r u on about 1995 against kilmacud crokes. It was Damian Cassidy who missed the pen. Hit it straight at the goalie who was playin wey a few broken ribs

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: SuperHans on October 03, 2007, 12:39:45 PM

STB r u on about 1995 against kilmacud crokes. It was Damian Cassidy who missed the pen. Hit it straight at the goalie who was playin wey a few broken ribs

Was indeed Cassidy, but the Bellaghy team of 96-99 was a much better team than that of 94

naka

how did the cruppen/clann eireann game finish last nite

Onion Bag

Quote from: diesel-smuggler on October 02, 2007, 10:39:34 PM
carrickcruppen beat clann eireann tonight in div.2 on a scoreline of 1-16 to 1-5

need a favour from st.pats now this weekend if our chances of promotion are to materialise!

It was on a previous post
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

winsamsoon

Rufus you are basing your statement on this years league? We trounced maghery in the league at their pitch and drew with them at Davitt. I did mention youth yes but as we know youth doesn't always ensure that a club will produce a good senior team. Look at Down people ranted and raved about down being a team for the future and to date they have produced dyer performances as a team. Granted there has been some great individual displays but as a team they ain't produced. This is a team that was full of youth but went the other way. Corn I happen to know i'll decide on a personal level. If he is cringing by what i am typing then I think i can safely say he will soon let me know. I don't think he would appreciate your putting words into his mouth and speaking on his behalf. So let the man have his own voice.

On the issue of Mc Geeney, He was agreat for Armagh and this will never be forgotten but i have to say i am dissapointed at him taking the kildare job. I couldn't imagine being involved with a team that has taken up a great part of his life and dedicating so much time and committment and then just walking out of it into another county. The timing of it is just not right, Mc Geeney could have went into county management 5 or 6 years down the line when the dust had settled. Part of me thinks he took the kildare job to get back at Armagh because of the way Grimley was treated ( which is not proven ) but i suppose we all have our reasons. I would also be certain that a few euros will be exchanging hands in the process. I felt Mc Geeney should have went into club management first until the dust settled because he would be well worthy of management at any level but as i say the timing was bad and i am sure some of his past team mates who are still on the panle would feel a little agrieved.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

full back

Quote from: winsamsoon on October 03, 2007, 03:02:50 PM
as i say the timing was bad and i am sure some of his past team mates who are still on the panle would feel a little agrieved.

Cant agree with this at all winsam
Maybe you should take your own advice - I dont think the players "would appreciate your putting words into his mouth and speaking on his behalf."

winsamsoon

I am not speaking on his behalf i am simply stating MY opinion. To my knowledge mc Genney doesn't post on this board so he can't speak back to me telling me to let himself speak. I'll decide on the other hand does and therefore can speak for himself if he feel agrieved. I still feel this way wheter you agree with it or not. Once again it is a discussion board for discussions.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.