Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2015, 12:54:06 PM
Quote from: laceer on August 18, 2015, 12:20:51 PM
Maghery seem to have been knocking on the door in Armagh for a few years now - put up or shut up time at this stage you'd imagine. Would they have many coming through from youth teams?

Wonder what was the story with Barney Gormley getting the road so early in the year? Have they someone in to replace him?
Couldnt make my mind up whether Ogs were really that piss poor or were Maghery just really good. I'd have them and Cullyhanna/Harps as the three teams to put it to Cross. Whether any of them actually have the balls to go on and do it remains to be seen. As for Maghery they wouldn't be overly strong at underage usually division 2/3 at minor anyway. Just have a really strong core at senior level and are able to add to it every few years or so with the odd gem. Think gormley got chased, fell out with too many players I'm told. Few clubmen over them now by looks of things.

The funny thing is that Maghery always have had strong teams for the last 25 odd years but could never pull it together in the championship.  In fact,  I would say that the Maghery teams I played against were much better than the current incumbents.  I played against the likes of Martin and Eamon Toye,  the Robinsons, the elder Forkers, Ciaran Raff,  they were hardy, hardy boys and not the chest out kinda lads that you see too often these days.  You always knew you were in a game coming back down the road.  The Toyes could run and run and no matter how hard you hit them they got up stronger and hit back!!

Soup an Samajiz

Conleith Gilligan on the line for them on Friday night, don't know how much of an input he has though. I thought Maghery were good, few very nice scores and composure on the ball. As for youth on the team the youngest Lavery really stood out at full forward and not only because he scored both majors, not long out of minor football I think. Full back had a very good game on Ronan Clarke I thought.
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 18, 2015, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 18, 2015, 12:54:06 PM
Quote from: laceer on August 18, 2015, 12:20:51 PM
Maghery seem to have been knocking on the door in Armagh for a few years now - put up or shut up time at this stage you'd imagine. Would they have many coming through from youth teams?

Wonder what was the story with Barney Gormley getting the road so early in the year? Have they someone in to replace him?
Couldnt make my mind up whether Ogs were really that piss poor or were Maghery just really good. I'd have them and Cullyhanna/Harps as the three teams to put it to Cross. Whether any of them actually have the balls to go on and do it remains to be seen. As for Maghery they wouldn't be overly strong at underage usually division 2/3 at minor anyway. Just have a really strong core at senior level and are able to add to it every few years or so with the odd gem. Think gormley got chased, fell out with too many players I'm told. Few clubmen over them now by looks of things.

The funny thing is that Maghery always have had strong teams for the last 25 odd years but could never pull it together in the championship.  In fact,  I would say that the Maghery teams I played against were much better than the current incumbents.  I played against the likes of Martin and Eamon Toye,  the Robinsons, the elder Forkers, Ciaran Raff,  they were hardy, hardy boys and not the chest out kinda lads that you see too often these days.  You always knew you were in a game coming back down the road.  The Toyes could run and run and no matter how hard you hit them they got up stronger and hit back!!
yes nothing ever came easy with Maghery.. A shower of bastards and I mean that as a compliment. They remind me of how the like of cross and Cullyhanna (apart from last night) tend to play, plenty of cohesion and options for the man on the ball.
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 18, 2015, 02:21:13 PM
Conleith Gilligan on the line for them on Friday night, don't know how much of an input he has though. I thought Maghery were good, few very nice scores and composure on the ball. As for youth on the team the youngest Lavery really stood out at full forward and not only because he scored both majors, not long out of minor football I think. Full back had a very good game on Ronan Clarke I thought.
Always a nice luxury to have someone like stefan forker to spring from the bench. Half back cusack played great I thought. Heard Deets took a few sessions didn't realise he was part of the set up. No shortage of dollars up the loughshore anyway.

Red eye

Interesting to see Giligan on the line - believe he lined out for Ballinderry this evening too in Derry championship. Plenty of experience and his input along the line would be an asset.

RealSpiritof98

I heard Stefan Forker was the man in Charge

general_lee

Senior Qualifier & Quarter Final Draw
St Pats v Granemore winners v Maghery
Killeavy v Wolfe Tone winners v Harps
Pearse Og v Dromintee winners v Crossmaglen
Ballymacnab v Sarsfields winners v Annaghmore

Junior Qualifier & Quarter Final Draw
Dromintee II v Killeavy II winners v Ballyhegan
St Pats II v Lissumonnn winners v Crossmaglen II
O'Hanlons v Belleek winners v Tullysaran
Pearse Ogs II v Clonmore winners v Derrynoose

brokencrossbar1

You'd have to fancy the 4 'winners' in the 1/4 finals to make the semis. Great opportunity for Annaghmore to push on. The Nab or Sarsfields won't scare them. On the weekends performances Harps look a a very strong bet to end our run. They have the players to do it and we're not pulling any trees up this year. With Jamie not available we have lost a lot of threat in front of the goals and this could be the year to catch us. We're probably in a run where we have too many lads with miles in the legs so a county is a big ask.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on August 22, 2015, 03:57:42 PM
I heard Stefan Forker was the man in Charge

:o couldn't see it, likely played the role of trainer while they were looking for manager just
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 23, 2015, 08:28:45 PM
You'd have to fancy the 4 'winners' in the 1/4 finals to make the semis. Great opportunity for Annaghmore to push on. The Nab or Sarsfields won't scare them. On the weekends performances Harps look a a very strong bet to end our run. They have the players to do it and we're not pulling any trees up this year. With Jamie not available we have lost a lot of threat in front of the goals and this could be the year to catch us. We're probably in a run where we have too many lads with miles in the legs so a county is a big ask.
Pull the other one. You must think we came up the bann in a bubble. JC no great loss to you boys, not at Armagh level anyway, Cross will cope the best without him, from what I seen of him this year he didn't really seem to be on top form anyway, maybe not enjoying his football as much?

You say you haven't pulled any trees up but you've handed out the biggest championship beating this year so far, 17pts over Granemore to add to this weeks 12 pt win over Killeavy. Usual suspects of Cullyhanna, Harps and Maghery to be in the mix but all to ultimately fall short.

brokencrossbar1

All pales into insignificance with the tragic death of the young Hughes lad from Dromintee.

http://armaghi.com/first-victim-of-a1-crash-which-claimed-three-young-lives-is-named/

general_lee

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 24, 2015, 12:13:12 PM
All pales into insignificance with the tragic death of the young Hughes lad from Dromintee.

http://armaghi.com/first-victim-of-a1-crash-which-claimed-three-young-lives-is-named/
RIP, hadn't realised names had been released.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: general_lee on August 24, 2015, 12:28:44 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 24, 2015, 12:13:12 PM

RIP, hadn't realised names had been released.

Just the one from what I can gather.

general_lee

Probably not the best thread to raise it but willie Frazer seemed to be very upset over a recent funeral and I was wondering was it one of the victims of this tragedy?

illdecide

where have I heard this before? It's like a broken record every year. Harps & Maghery are the only two teams capable (belief) of putting it up to Cross and even thats debatable. I agree that Cross are a bit weaker that they've been in a while but the problem is so are the rest of the teams in Armagh.

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on September 01, 2015, 11:26:29 AM

where have I heard this before? It's like a broken record every year. Harps & Maghery are the only two teams capable (belief) of putting it up to Cross and even thats debatable. I agree that Cross are a bit weaker that they've been in a while but the problem is so are the rest of the teams in Armagh.

I'm bound to be right sometime!! ;)