Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: Uladh on August 23, 2007, 03:15:21 PM

Both Swift and Loughran are better footballers than this years centre forward and given a fraction of the same chances, would develop into realistic options for the county team. certainly they are capable of winning ball as well as taking their man on and scoring & passing under pressure. three attributes armagh's man on the forty unbelievably didn't possess this year.

In fairness all of Armagh's half forward line is rank. Well maybe rank is too strong but they don't have no scoring threat.

it's crop you have to watch your spelling now as lads are calling people dim for the odd spelling mistake. When your boss is behing ya and you need to type like fcuk the odd spelling mistake will appear. :o ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Against the Breeze

Right,

For talks sake,  Would posters like to take a stab at Armaghs best 20 or more players that in their opinion should be on the panel this year? Goalkeepers et al

pintsofguinness

illdecide
QuoteIf we were being totally honest with ourselves i think Kernan had the best players in Armagh with the county panel, we always used to slabber in north Armagh that Kernan was biased because he hated Lurgan people (and he prob does) but the reality was that there was no-one else there he could pick that was better than what he already had. we tend to be a bit more biased towards guys that play for our own clubs and say Kernan should have given him a chance but you'll prob find he wansn't that far away with his players.

Were there players of similar ability not picked?   

I think if some of those boys on the panel are the best in the county God help us! 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bredaghgael

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bredagh GAC's Annual Talk Night takes place this year in the Wellington Park Hotel on Friday 31st August at 9pm.The Eastwood Bookmakers sponsored event has regular pundits Martin Breheny (Irish Independent) Paddy Heaney(Irish News)and Barney Eastwood back again this year..The evening is compered by Jerome Quinn (BBC).Confirmed guests this year are Joe Brolly (RTE pundit) and Graham Geraghty(Meath).Others will be announced closer to the event.There will be a draw for two All-Ireland Football & Hurling tickets on the night.

anportmorforjfc

McConville may give county scene another year

Armagh and Crossmaglen Rangers star forward, Oisin McConville has not ruled out playing another season with the Orchard county despite the imminent change in county team-management.

A number of Armagh players are expected to step down in the wake of Joe Kernan's decision to retire from inter-county team-management.

Oisin McConville, Kieran McGeeney, Diarmaid Marsden, Paul McGrane and Enda McNulty are players all on the wrong side of 30 and they could well call it a day at the end of this season.

"I personally haven't decided yet about my inter-county future,'' said McConville. "I will make a decision around November because it would be pointless to make a decision on my future now. I promised myself when I was 20 I would retire when I was 28 – but I will be 32 years old in October. It is definitely getting harder, even at club level, but I will wait and see.''

Orior

Quote from: Against the Breeze on August 23, 2007, 04:07:43 PM
Right,

For talks sake,  Would posters like to take a stab at Armaghs best 20 or more players that in their opinion should be on the panel this year? Goalkeepers et al

Is that you Mr Grimley?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

winsamsoon

Lads you are correct in what you are saying about the current Armagh half forward line not holding any scoring threat. However what you have to realize is that they are not really picked for their scoring threat. In Kernans setup Armagh's half forwards have become another 3 defenders. Their job is to hunt around the middle for breaking ball and at the same time squeezing and frustrating the life out of the opposition. Armaghs game plan consisted of two phases. It was to pull everyone back including the half forwards. Suck a corner forward out (which was Marsden ) and leave mc Donnell and Mc Conville up front for Diagonal balls in. The key component that was missing was the fact that when Mc Conville and Mc Donnell got the ball there was no one coming through to support them. Swift and Loughran would be excellent in this scenario but so would Toal, O Rouke, Mallon, and S Kernan if they were let. But i am afraid big joe has instilled too many defensive mindsets in our men for them to play this role.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

maddog

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 24, 2007, 10:26:33 AM
Lads you are correct in what you are saying about the current Armagh half forward line not holding any scoring threat. However what you have to realize is that they are not really picked for their scoring threat. In Kernans setup Armagh's half forwards have become another 3 defenders. Their job is to hunt around the middle for breaking ball and at the same time squeezing and frustrating the life out of the opposition. Armaghs game plan consisted of two phases. It was to pull everyone back including the half forwards. Suck a corner forward out (which was Marsden ) and leave mc Donnell and Mc Conville up front for Diagonal balls in. The key component that was missing was the fact that when Mc Conville and Mc Donnell got the ball there was no one coming through to support them. Swift and Loughran would be excellent in this scenario but so would Toal, O Rouke, Mallon, and S Kernan if they were let. But i am afraid big joe has instilled too many defensive mindsets in our men for them to play this role.

Mc Donnell and McConville left inside for the big diagonal balls? I dont think so. McConville has been in the half forward line i believe since 2003. McDonnell and Clarke yes.

charlie stubbs

wins,that is a valid point in reference to joes tactics.hope a more expansive gameplan is used this term by grimley or whoever is in charge.if we have clarke playing to his potential think of the many scores we can get with half forwards supporting the full forward line

winsamsoon

Yeah charlie, that is why Clarke is such an asset because he can win dirty ball and hold it up for players running onto it. He can also take a score himself which makes him virtually unmarkable at times. Lets just hope he can return from the injury back to his usual self. I also agree that whoever takes over should have more strings to their bow because it was all becoming a little predictable in the past few years. The game plan was to keep mc Donell and mc conville in and play diagonal balls and i didn't state when this was. There is an incessive need for some posters on this board to try and prove everyone else wrong. They sit and scrutinize every word typed and then go totally of the current debate to try and belittle someone. Try to keep to the topics and by all means give you opinion but not at the expense of someone else.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Uladh

Quote from: maddog on August 24, 2007, 10:30:59 AM
Mc Donnell and McConville left inside for the big diagonal balls? I dont think so. McConville has been in the half forward line i believe since 2003. McDonnell and Clarke yes.

Not this year nor last Maddog. This year it was Stevie and oisin up and last year it was Clarke and Stevie with oisin playing "in the hole" in front. i think both position for oisin were acknowledgement from management that his legs were gone as oisin is never a ball winner. last sundy evening was further proof of that, at a level well below intercounty.

I'm not sure winsamsoon's anlysis is entirely correct. obviously o'rourke was dropping his year when armagh lost the ball but the same could not be said for McKeever & Kernan. McKeever got up to support occasionally but he's siimply not fit enough to do it. Kernan supported the inside line very little, but thats more to do with his avoidance of traffic.

Interestingly, the only two forwards on the pitch last sunday evening who looked county standard were martin o'rourke and john mc.

SouthArmaghBandit

Quote from: Orior on August 23, 2007, 10:48:43 PM
Quote from: Against the Breeze on August 23, 2007, 04:07:43 PM
Right,

Is that you Mr Grimley?

:D :D. I wouldn't be surprised if it was!

pdown79

Seriously fancy us for the replay on sunday.Just heard that we have mcalister back and that would be a major boost for us on the scoring front! Brian mallon however is struggling with an injury again. If dromintee don't choke then it could throw the championship wide open!

maddog

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 24, 2007, 11:15:01 AM
There is an incessive need for some posters on this board to try and prove everyone else wrong. They sit and scrutinize every word typed and then go totally of the current debate to try and belittle someone. Try to keep to the topics and by all means give you opinion but not at the expense of someone else.

Noone was trying to belittle you, i was calling it as i saw it. A discussion board will always have opinions (the whole point) and often at someones expense, often at mine. Dont take it personally lad

full back

Quote from: pdown79 on August 24, 2007, 11:57:04 AM
Seriously fancy us for the replay on sunday.Just heard that we have mcalister back and that would be a major boost for us on the scoring front! Brian mallon however is struggling with an injury again. If dromintee don't choke then it could throw the championship wide open!

I'm sure the portydown players love to see you coming on the board to mouth off
You were strangely subdued there for a while when portydown were beating the door down to get to Div 2