Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Has anyone the senior championship fixtures for the weekend after next? 

Cross v Dromintee - Silverbridge? Sat or Sun
Og's V Nab - is Keady AFAIK on the sat evening
others?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 08, 2007, 02:20:37 PM
you see but i have heard that the clans are an arrogant shire and this has been played out to the hilt. Pog i can't sit here all day my friend and look for little examples of how people have insulted the clans and be petty about wee spellings and other things. Since the board has begun (including the old one) there has been many examples of certain individuals poking insults at the clans ( and many other clubs but i can only defend my own). To date i haven't been able to find any reason for this. The only one that makes sense is the jealousy factor. If you claim not care what the clans do or even if you accept a hatred of the clans could you please tell me the reasons behind it. I have my theory but i would just be interested in hearing the views of the rest of ya's so i can rule the jealousy one out. Please spare me the yappy, crying, whinging, bastards one. We have all played against teams like this ie Dromintee and i certainly don't wish them any ill will.

Winsamsoon, of course there are plenty of individuals on here putting the boot into other clubs but I think you're being a bit paranoid if you say clanns get more than anyone else.  You were keen yourself to get the boot into the bridge a couple of days ago.  Why do people put the boot into clanns? Who knows, why does any club get it, various reasons.  But I'll tell you what annoys me, the siege mentality yous have, Clanns against world and of course the evil empire of south armagh. Another thing that annoys me is this obsessive need yous have to point to your club history, a history any club would be proud of but it certainly isn't everything.  How many times have you heard Harps posters on here, and there's enough of them, brag and blow about their history?  It is arrogance in itself to accuse others of being jealous and let me tell you why would any club be jealous of an aging side, going downhill, no one coming through and for the size of your club yous have a hard time getting a B team out?!  They're aren't to many clubs that would swap with you so you can cut out with the jealously claims, who cares about history, live in the present. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

brokencrossbar1

Attaboy, POG, get in their boy! ;D

Pints does, have a very valid point about the Harps though.  The Harps are probably a more long term success story than the Clans.  The flip side to that is that not only have the Clans been a successful club they have provided Armagh with soem of its greatest players, Smyth, Marsden, McKinstry, Tidsie among others.  It, in my view, is a bit rich to be giving them grief about living in the past.  They and Mullaghbawn were the recent champions before us so therefore they have as recent a history as possible to be proud of.

They may not have much of a fututre as it stands, and I think that is why people have taken umbrage to winsamsoon.  It actually is a pity to see them struggling.  They seem to be getting the grief now that Cross got in the late 80's early 90's and I know that is not nice.  We did the same, I recall arguing with my friends when the Bridge had won a few leagues back when we were younger and this same thing being thrown in my face.

The Cross dominance will pass, when it does Clans will win the championship, I really do not know if I could confidently predict that about many other clubs.

inthemaking

bridge v killeavy off
no sign of ref or killeavy

ard mhaca abu

Re: Armagh Club football & hurling
« Reply #3102 on: Today at 09:19:17 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: ard mhaca abu on August 07, 2007, 04:45:42 PM
when yous lads come to Davitt next wed night we'll have the muzzles off alright. Eating face O Rourke wouldn't play B football anyway so the sarnies after the game should stretch a bit further 

dont think u should be slaggin anyone after the shape of u runnin around cruppen last wk like a headless chicken 

First thing first i know Cruppin beat us easily and i said that on the board but your getting into something different here when you start personal insults, now i know i may not be in the best of shape (1 stone overweight) but i tell you what when i moved into full back after Cruppin scored their goal i don't recall any other goals scored  and second you say i was running around like a headless chicken well maybe so but at least i wasn't running around like a gutless Ba****d 

y who was?

winsamsoon

Well pog you say forget about the past, this would be easy to do if you hadn't really had a successful past. Whether you like this or not, the clans have had. I never put the boot into silverbridge, i merely pointed out that they were being arrogant by posting posts criticising other successful clubs when they have won nothing ( and i may have been harsh on silverbridge ). When you say about the size of the club pog. We are struggling at the moment this is down to the influence of soccer in some cases. It is also down to the way society is going with our youth in an inner city town only wanting to drink. But another major downfall is the catchment area is very small for so many teams to exst in. In many ways gaelic football in lurgan is beginning to break away from the family ties. Our own club still does have the usual families producing players over decades but this is beginning to dry up as the interest just ain't there. Ths is a sad state of affairs as broken crossbar pointed out and i would share this sentiment if this happened to any other club in Armagh. Why, because i am a gael like the majority of you. But it is our history that creates our future, and it is proven that successful clubs usually do rise again. I am sure you have seen your own club go through transition. In our club it is our past successes that drives us forward. So we should never forget the past pog.Being proud of you club past should not be mistaken for arrogance. I don't know what way south Armagh teams are coping at the moment with regardes number of players but the game seems to be thriving at the moment which is only good for the clubs and county. I would think with all the arguments in the ogs and hars they are pretty much in a similar position as ourselves but they have a larger pick which is keeping them afloat.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

pintsofguinness

QuoteWell pog you say forget about the past, this would be easy to do if you hadn't really had a successful past. Whether you like this or not, the clans have had.
You see there you go again "whether you like it or not", I really don't care.

I never put the boot into silverbridge, i merely pointed out that they were being arrogant by posting posts criticising other successful clubs when they have won nothing ( and i may have been harsh on silverbridge ).
Right, there's three bridge posters on this board, myself, sixinchnail and inthemaking, I know none of us have ever posted anything arrogant!  You also accused cullyhanna of being arrogant, there's two of their posters on the board, tacadoir - who doesn't post that often anymore and trevez or something that's only been here 5 minutes but I don't remember him saying anything about the clanns, most of his posts are about Jarlath Burns  ::)  Siege Mentality again.

I realise that the problems clanns have are the same experienced by many clubs and if past successes can drive you on that's great but there is no need for this siege mentality.  I personally would like to see clubs like clanns, harps, ogs a lot stronger, it's actually concerning from a gaa man's point of view that these clubs are struggling over drink and other sports.  It's not good forthe GAA and it certainly isn't good for the county.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

anportmorforjfc

pearse og beat an portmor by 2 points tonight

any other results?

armagh leg-end

madden beat clan na gael byt 4points in bacl
Ard Mhacha Abu

Smokin Joe

Benny, in relation to your question about championship fixtures, from memory they are:

Sat Week Ogs vs Nab
Sun double header in Abbey Park (I think)
Sun 7pm Silverbridge Cross v Dromintee

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 09, 2007, 08:55:55 AM
Benny, in relation to your question about championship fixtures, from memory they are:

Sat Week Ogs vs Nab
Sun double header in Abbey Park (I think)
Sun 7pm Silverbridge Cross v Dromintee

Ogs V Nab - Keady - 6:30pm sat 18th august

Uladh

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 08, 2007, 06:12:01 PM
The Cross dominance will pass, when it does Clans will win the championship, I really do not know if I could confidently predict that about many other clubs.

That statement betrays a total misunderstanding of the facts of why clanns are on the slide. for years clanns were the team to play for around lurgan. all of the good players played for the clanns. If you were a good footballer by the time you were senior you were playing for them. thats no longer the case. lads play for their natural clubs now and the clanns have to compete like everyne else for players. although they have made strides to reverse it, other clubs like clann eireann and st pauls got a jump on them in catering for and attracting young lads. thats on top of the social issues which now effect of every urban club. so the natural assumption that the big clubs with tradition wil always be there or there abouts no longer applies.

winsamsoon

Uladh that is a total misunderstanding of the facts. The statement about if you were a good player you played for the clans is complete nonsense. The clans team of the 70's all lived within close proximity of the club and the majority of them all came from clan na gael families and to this day still do. when you say players now are playing for their natural clubs. If someone lives in Kilwilkiie and has been from a family with clan na gael connections. Tell me then what is his natural club? I would be interested to hear all of your opinions on this. Should players play for the club closest to them, where there friends play or the club with his family connections? I would be of the opinion that he should stick with the family ties but that is just me. The formation of St paul's done the cans a lot of damage simply because it took away about 30% of the families which had links with clan na gael. Pog we are a club that is under siege at the moment. I know that we are hated right across the country, i have played in games where the referee has actually said it more or less( this year mullaghbawn). I have also listened to idiots around my our town talking as if the clans were complete dirt. So i ain't imagining this scenario. I would conceed though that the majority of the insults are coming from idiots who treat Gaelic like it is a pub soccer team, and not the true gaels whom remain faithful to the cause.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

Quote from: Uladh on August 09, 2007, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 08, 2007, 06:12:01 PM

That statement betrays a total misunderstanding of the facts of why clanns are on the slide. for years clanns were the team to play for around lurgan. all of the good players played for the clanns. If you were a good footballer by the time you were senior you were playing for them. thats no longer the case. lads play for their natural clubs now and the clanns have to compete like everyne else for players. although they have made strides to reverse it, other clubs like clann eireann and st pauls got a jump on them in catering for and attracting young lads. thats on top of the social issues which now effect of every urban club. so the natural assumption that the big clubs with tradition wil always be there or there abouts no longer applies.

Uladh i have been trying to stay out of these arguments about clans v the whole world and i suppose i have to a certain extent, but you are wrong what you say about the best players playing for the Clans. they have not poached any top players from the surrounding clubs the guys that play for clans are clan na Gael people. I am not aware of any (so called top players) guys who have moved to our club in my time. winsamsoon is correct when he says that society has changed more so in the towns and the sad fact of the matter is guys would rather sit in a bar drinking pints and watching live soccer than play our beautiful game.

there is no doubt that we are struggling but what can we do, we are running the summer schemes for the kids and trying to keep them involved the problem is when they hit 17 they change into the old townie habbits and the rest is history. I'm old school when it comes to Gaelic games, i love every thing about it and what it stands for but unfortunatly the younger generation are a different breed (around Lurgan at least)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch