Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't actually disagree with you pints, although what will happen when a team who should be relegated from Division 1 win the Senior Championship?  However, it was the way in which you singled out particular clubs to illustrate your argument.  Those clubs were there on merit as they had won the Intermediate.  Also there is such a phenomena as 'championship teams', for example this year at inter-county level Sligo finished 4th in Division 2B behind the mighty Wexford, yet they are now Connacht Champions and competing in an All-Ireland quarter-final.

Finally your arrogant point about will former junior clubs ever matter in the Senior Championship, may well be true, but it doesn't take into account such huge strides these rural clubs have made in recent years and the changing fortunes of clubs.  Since the early 00's Granemore have won major underage honours from U12 up... and in 2002 beat Cross in the U16 all county championship.. whether this success translates into senior success remains to be seen... though you can never say never!
O'Neills Therapist

pintsofguinness

QuoteI don't actually disagree with you pints, although what will happen when a team who should be relegrated from Division 1 win the Senior Championship? However, it was the way in which you singled out particular clubs to illustrate your argument.  Those clubs were there on merit as they had won the Intermediate.  Also there is such a phenomena as 'championship teams', for example this year at inter-county level Sligo finished 4th in Division 2B behind the mighty Wexford, yet they are now Connacht Champions and competing in an All-Ireland semi-final.
I believe in any county where the championship grading is based on league position it would mean that team would remain senior. 
I realise those clubs I've mentioned are there because they won the intermediate however Granemore won it two years ago? will they choose to go down a grade?  Ballymacnab is unlikely to make an impact either, will they choose to go down? 
Look at St. Pats - top team in division two - playing intermediate - Cruppen, Killeavy, Clann Eireann, Newtown all below them but playing senior.  Where is the sense with that?

Finally your arrogant point about will former junior clubs ever matter in the Senior Championship, may well be true, but it doesn't take into account such huge strides these rural clubs have made in recent years and the changing fortunes of clubs.  Since the early 00's Granemore have won major underage honours from U12 up... and in 2002 beat Cross in the U16 all county championship.. whether this success translates into senior success remains to be seen... though you can never say never!
I may be a lot of things, but one thing I have never done on this board is to be arrogant or patronising  to other clubs. 
On Granemore, they  may well be making strides (and good luck to them)  but, at the minute, they are in the wrong grade. 

btw O2, if we're talking about teams making progress, how can a team make progress if they go out in a championship match to face a team two divisions above them? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ard mhaca abu

b acl result cruppen 1-15 clan na gael 1-5. another good team performance by cruppen especially qub la la la in corner bk....clans where poor to be fair...heard drumintee stuffed mullabawn..any other results?

QuoteI'll decide what position to play in when i get up there, because i pick the team  .

Gotta go and catch my train or i'll be at no match

u obviously didnt do much playin tonight..i'll decide....u couldnt pick ur nose ;D

inthemaking

Quote from: ard mhaca abu on August 01, 2007, 10:33:28 PM
b acl result cruppen 1-15 clan na gael 1-5. another good team performance by cruppen especially qub la la la in corner bk....clans where poor to be fair...heard drumintee stuffed mullabawn..any other results?

bridge beat tir na og 1-19 to 1-5

mousey

another good performance from carrickcruppen can they go all the way?????

Look at St. Pats - top team in division two - playing intermediate - Cruppen, Killeavy, Clann Eireann, Newtown all below them but playing senior.  Where is the sense with that?

PofG I totally agree with you that there are stronger league teams, playing in lower tiers of the championship, but this is the systems fault, not the clubs fault - and it is somehow representative of their recent championship form.  As I said I don't disagree with your argument, it was how you made it.  A league based system is not totally ideal too, as to use your favourite quoted examples, as Division 2 teams Granemore and Ballymacnab would be in the Intermediate tier.. say as happened recently either won this championship.. then under the new system they would be entitled to Senior football AND Division 1 status??
O'Neills Therapist

pintsofguinness

QuoteDivision 2 teams Granemore and Ballymacnab would be in the Intermediate tier.. say as happened recently either won this championship.. then under the new system they would be entitled to Senior football AND Division 1 status??
No just senior status, i'm not sure for how long but certainly not for as long as they wished.

David McKeown

Annaghmore beat Maghery in the North Armagh B league tonight 2-12 to 1-9, poor enough game but we were easily the better side.  Its a pity we didn't enter the All County B League
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

diesel-smuggler

pints you referred to st. pats leading the way in div 2 against senior championship clubs like ourselves killeavey clann eireann etc, im sure tacadoir will agree with me that st. pats struggled last year only stayed in div.2 by way of winning a relegation play-off (i think)

i can only comment on carrickcruppen - up until we won the intermediate championship in 2004 we struggled for a long time in division 3 and luckily survived relegation to div 4 by a whisker!maybe only pride stopped us from going into the junior champioship. in the 3 years back in senior championship we beat pearse ogs in 05 who many people thought would challenge crossmaglen for the title, got beaten by maghery in 06 after a replay, and have a quarter final tie with tir na nog in two weeks all of whom are div.1 one clubs.

i strongly feel that clubs who play intermediate from division 1 should be more than capable of winning the championship as they are playing a better quality of team week in week out! i think that any club in senior or intermediate championship who lose in the preliminary/first round of the championship 3 years in a row should be re-graded to a lower championship tier!

diesel-smuggler

you have to qualify for the all county b-league david!

did annaghmore not finish high enough in the north armagh b league?

pintsofguinness

Quotepints you referred to st. pats leading the way in div 2 against senior championship clubs like ourselves killeavey clann eireann etc, im sure tacadoir will agree with me that st. pats struggled last year only stayed in div.2 by way of winning a relegation play-off (i think)
But St. Pats will be playing intermediate next year again, and yourseleves Killeavy etc will be playing senior, so my point stands.

diesel-smuggler

well my point stands too!

im sure the bridge would be too proud to go down to the junior though!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: diesel-smuggler on August 01, 2007, 11:59:35 PM
well my point stands too!

im sure the bridge would be too proud to go down to the junior though!
Why would the Bridge go down to Junior?
It was tough on the oul pride to go down to intermediate, but it was for the best.

diesel-smuggler

i was only firing a dig in!

have you seen the proposals that pauraic duffy has in recommended to help club football?

armagh leg-end

does anyone know whether the draw was made for the minor championship tonight?
Ard Mhacha Abu