Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Enjoyed last night, a good test for a depleted Cross, Maghery will probably rue a few chances early on but I thought they were excellent to come back from 6 pts down to enter half time level.

From their perspective halftime probably came too soon as they had their tails up at that stage and Cross were starting to lose focus a bit getting involved with handbags etc. It was telling that Maghery stayed on the pitch to let Cross go in first to avoid potential fisticuffs in the tunnel, usually it is Cross that do that!

The second half wasn't as good as the first, Maghery showed inexperience conceding silly scorable frees as well as having other frees moved in for petulance, criminal if you're to have any chance of beating Cross. This inevitably led to them having a 4/5 point cushion that they were never really going to relinquish in the final ten. Maghery had a genuine shout for a penalty turned down and instead a free out given; thems the kind of breaks that Cross seem to always get but as they say you make your own luck. Can't see them beat in the final in any case, not sure how they'll progress in Ulster though.

T Fearon

Madden 0-15 Tir Na Nog 2-6 Intermediate Final today.Tir Na Nog led by seven after two Paul Carvill goals in first half but only scored a meagre two points in second half,though were denied a cast iron penalty deep into injury time near the end of the game.

ranch

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2013, 07:06:20 PM
Madden 0-15 Tir Na Nog 2-6 Intermediate Final today.Tir Na Nog led by seven after two Paul Carvill goals in first half but only scored a meagre two points in second half,though were denied a cast iron penalty deep into injury time near the end of the game.

The incident at the end was never a penalty. The big no.14 got the ball, turned and the second he felt contact just fell to the ground. Better team won.

T Fearon

Didn't get a clear view of the penalty incident but have to agree the better team won.

ranch

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2013, 09:07:56 PM
Didn't get a clear view of the penalty incident but have to agree the better team won.

Was it not a "cast iron" penalty according to your previous post?  ;)

Some unsavoury scenes afterwards involving the ref, never nice to see.

T Fearon

Agree with that.Too many blaming referee,when TNN allowed themselves to be smothered by Madden's second half tactics and had no leaders when the chips were down.

Harold Disgracey

It was an absolute stonewall penalty, in fact there were two offences for which a penalty should have been given, the foul on the no 14 and the pull across another player while attempting to pick the ball up. Gerard Devlin should be ashamed of his performance as should the county board be for appointing someone as incompetent to such an important match. I believe he also gave an inept performance in the Cross/Maghery game on Friday night.

Saying that, congratulations to Madden, they deserved it. Tír na nÓg should not have given the ref the chance to influence the result but injuries to a number of key players and the effects of 3 tough games in 3 weeks took hold in the second half.

Agreed, the scenes after the game, although understandable, were inexcusable.

It's a pity what was a fantastic season for the club had to end in such disappointing fashion.

The best of luck to Madden in the Ulster championship against Forglen of Derry.

nrico2006

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 07, 2013, 01:19:40 PM
It was an absolute stonewall penalty, in fact there were two offences for which a penalty should have been given, the foul on the no 14 and the pull across another player while attempting to pick the ball up. Gerard Devlin should be ashamed of his performance as should the county board be for appointing someone as incompetent to such an important match. I believe he also gave an inept performance in the Cross/Maghery game on Friday night.

Saying that, congratulations to Madden, they deserved it. Tír na nÓg should not have given the ref the chance to influence the result but injuries to a number of key players and the effects of 3 tough games in 3 weeks took hold in the second half.

Agreed, the scenes after the game, although understandable, were inexcusable.

It's a pity what was a fantastic season for the club had to end in such disappointing fashion.

The best of luck to Madden in the Ulster championship against Forglen of Derry.

Is that the same Devlin who referees the hurling too?  If so, never seen anyone worse in the 7 or 8 games I have ever been involve din that he has been over. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Harold Disgracey

tonto1888

What were the unsavoury scenes? Ronan McAlinden is a very good friend of mine, I texted him last night but he is apparently still too pissed off to reply

Harold Disgracey

There was a bit of jostling the ref after the game and some plastic coke bottles were thrown in his direction.

Tooter has every right to be pissed off, considering the effort he and the players put in all year, after going through the league unbeaten to lose the championship final in such circumstances must be absolutely galling.

T Fearon

Ulster Gazette report today points out that Madden were superior in three of the four quarters of the game and suggests that the referee may have brandished a red card early to cut out the nonsense, as the field resembled Aintree on Grand National Day on occasions, as there were so many bodies on the floor. It did emphasise that Madden overall deserved the win. Hard to argue with any of these points.

Just a game too far for Tir Na Nog in a long hard season. Best now to move on, celebrate an outstanding season and get ready for next year, where the priority must be to consolidate the senior league position.

T Fearon

tonto1888

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on October 08, 2013, 11:41:39 AM
There was a bit of jostling the ref after the game and some plastic coke bottles were thrown in his direction.

Tooter has every right to be pissed off, considering the effort he and the players put in all year, after going through the league unbeaten to lose the championship final in such circumstances must be absolutely galling.

was tooter involved? He told me on Sunday morning that it was going to be a 50/50 game. I live in Manchester so couldnt get watching

T Fearon

Haven't you heard of Armagh TV? All major games streamed live, including last Sunday's :o