Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteLeft half back - Martin McQuillan, St Pat's Dorsey.

Jaysus McQuillan done shockin well for Armagh for so many years seeing as he played for a club that doesn't exist.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

twotwocharlie

pints it's not the whole storey to say c c walked away and you know that . i also recall making the semi of the imd champ. but if you count big scores against the nab and annaghmore as progress then dream on.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 21, 2007, 12:50:41 PM
barry on orchardcounty has posted up an interesting article from Lurgan Mail...
-------------------------------------------------

Since 1977 Armagh have seen a 30 year spell which is unprecedented in the history of the county's structures, many great players have pulled on the orange jersey, but do the men of 77, 80 or 82 match up to the more recent stars. while the younger Armagh supporters may only have read about the abilities of people like Jimmy Smyth, Paddy Moriarity and Tom McCreesh would the stars of yesteryear make a county select based on performances over the last three decades.

Literally hundreds of players have worn the Armagh colours since the side came to prominence back in the mid seventies. But which players would make a team from service rendered 1977 to 2007. This is The Mail's best 15.

Goalkeeper - Brian McAlinden, Sarsfields. Even considering that Paul Hearty is an exceptional keeper, and Benny Tierney had many great years between the posts, McAlinden comes out on top, starRed for Ulster may times and was continuously the county's saviour. Top class goalkeeper and the best in 30 years.

Right corner back - Dennis Stevenson, Sarsfields. Right back on the Armagh team of the century. Brilliant corner back in his day and gets the nod in front of Andy Mallon who still has a lot of county mileage left. Stevenson was top class.

Centre full back - Jim McKerr, Clan Na Gael. Had the lot, and also played in the forwards for Armagh. South Armagh people might disagree but the Clans man was better than both Tom McCreesh and Francie Bellew, great left foot and a master craftsman. 19 years old in the 1977 final.

Left full back - Enda McNulty, Ballyboden St Enda's. One of the best players of his generation equals Dennis Stevenson's greatness in an orange jersey; Enda has been a rock in the county's defence for many years. Super year in 2002.

Right half back - Paddy Moriarity, Wolfe Tones. All Star at 19 and won his second award in 1977 from centre half back having started the year in the forwards. Has to be on this team. Even considering the exploits of Aaron Kernan, Aidan O'Rourke and Andrew McCann, Mo was one of the all time greats, better at number 6 but that's Geezer's place.

Centre half back - Kieran McGeeney, Na Fiana. Only one player for this position. Absolutely nothing to prove in an Armagh Jersey. Fitting that he got to lift the Sam Maguire back in 2002 and could always have a role in Armagh affairs, totally dedicated player.

Left half back - Martin McQuillan, St Pat's Dorsey. One of Armagh's most classiest players has seven Railway Cup medals to his credit won with Ulster. Played in the 1990s and would have fitted like a glove in the modern system. Speedy defender with real class.

Midfield No. 8 - Neil Smyth, Mullaghbawn. Brilliant midfielder who played on a team who won very little, Smyth had and athleticism, better all rounder than McKinstry, McGrane or Burns. Smashing player.

Midfield No. 9 - Joe Kernan, Crossmaglen. Two goals against Dublin in the 77 All Ireland set him up for an All Star, formed the greatest ever Armagh midfield partnership with Colm McKinstry, Kernan was brilliant in the air and on the ground.

Right half forward - Oisin McConville, Crossmaglen. Probably the most influential players ever to play for the county. Always there when it mattered. Superstar in his own right and Ulster's top scorer of all time.

Centre half forward - Jimmy Smyth, Clan na Gael. Despite the numerous nominations for the number 11 shirt. Smyth sticks out like a sore thumb. Class act who could only be pushed for the place by John McEntee.

Left half forward - Kieran McGurk, Sarsflelds. Played for many years in a variety of positions. Great left foot and strong on the ball with it, the ideal play maker and was instrumental in creating a host of chances for the man we have chosen to wear 14.

Right full forward - Steven McDonnell, Killeavey. Unchallenged for the position, will be remembered as one of the great modern forwards along with Canavan and Linden.

Centre full forward - Gerard Houlahan, Pearse Ogs.. Kept Armagh afloat when times were not so good for the county. Prolific scorer.

Left full forward - Peter Loughran, Carrickcruppin. Peter passed away a number of years ago but he would be remembered for being one of Armagh most consistent forwards, got the nod here in front of big names such as Dairmaid Marsden and John Corvan.

Good article, and not a bad stab at the team. Mine would be though,

Brain McAlinden,
Andy Mallon,
Jim McKerr,
Enda McNulty,
Paddy Moriarty,
Kieran McGeeney,
Martin McQuillan,
Paul McGrane,
Mark Grimley,
Oisin McConville,
Joe Kernan,
Gerard Houlahan,
Steven McDonnell,
Ronan Clarke,
Johnny Corvan.

Uladh

There's something sad about the poor down fella wandering about soullessly on our threads, because there's no football worth talking about in his own county. he's like the a toddler who keeps trying to get involved in the adults conversations. he starts a sentance then stops when he realises noone is listening...

Midman

You have to love internet warriors!  :P

Orior

Fight! Fight! Back of the ball alley now!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

winsamsoon

I never saw all of those guys playing, i am a young thing  :D ;) but i have had the pleasure of watching the gremlins playing for Armagh and i would agree with the down guy they shouldn't be on Armagh's best 15. Mc Quillan was an exceptional footballer in his day and he, like the grimleys to be fair played for Armagh when times were tough. Another man who was a good one for Armagh was there's something in the air ( It's Hollywood) I never forget that day in the athletics grounds when he bagged the goals against fermanagh. Armagh went on to have a great year that year. In all honesty we take the the piss out of a lot of players here lads on this board but if they are playing on a sunday afternoon we will all be out supporting them. Them lads have given some commitment in their lives and long may it continue. This is why we will never agree on a first 15.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

So far we have a North Armagh paper with a North Armagh bias, a Mid Armagh man with a Mid Armagh bias - I am just waiting for Joe Kernan to post.... :P
O'Neills Therapist

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 02 on July 22, 2007, 12:25:00 AM
So far we have a North Armagh paper with a North Armagh bias, a Mid Armagh man with a Mid Armagh bias - I am just waiting for Joe Kernan to post.... :P

Aye right - I just loved putting three Pearse Og men on my team!!  ::)

And I count eight southern men on the North Armagh papers' fifteen, whilst my own has six Southern men, five mid and four north!?! Bias!?!   :D

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 21, 2007, 10:00:00 PM
Uladh anytime you are man enough, name a time and a place. Anytime

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteUladh anytime you are man enough, name a time and a place. Anytime

Never was a contributor better summed up by one of his own posts.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

Quote from: twotwocharlie on July 21, 2007, 08:17:22 PM
pints it's not the whole storey to say c c walked away and you know that . i also recall making the semi of the imd champ. but if you count big scores against the nab and annaghmore as progress then dream on.
Charlie charlie charlie
I started to assume some time ago that you were a bridge man, am I right?
I also got the impression when you asked me had the team improved this year you were dying for me to say they hadn't because Ciaran Conlon isn't there. 
Yes we did reach the intermediate semi last year and were dumped out by St Peters this year in what can only be described as a freak result!  If you want to be lazy about it you could say the team has gone backward but that would be the analysis of a five year old. 
If you like I can go into great detail mapping out exactly how the team have improved, in fact I can't understand how you say they haven't.   
Maybe instead of using cheap remarks you could tell me or is a freak result in the  championship your entire argument?
You can shrug of the results against Ballymacnab and Annaghmore if you like but anyone who knows anything about the bridge will know that considering the players we were missing, the youngsters we had playing, they were very positive results. 
When your six forwards include 4 minors from last year, an player that was under 21 last year and a 20/21 year old and they rack up scores like 1-16 and 1-12 against any division two opposition  it's positive!  The Killeavy result was another massive result, dumped out of the championship 5 days earlier, had Ciaran Conlon walk away in the same week and face an unbeaten team, away from home and without players like McCann, Reel and Bellew and beat them!

On Ciaran Conlon (again!)...yes he did walk away.  Anyone at the St. Pats game seen him walking away!  You went from not knowing if he's playing with us to knowing everything.  If he didn't walk away tell me what he done? 
Feel free to PM me if you don't want to take it public.
Btw, if you are a bridge man, you're the only one I know that isn't behind the club and management on the issue, in fact, there has never even been any debate on it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

pintsofguinness

rufus
Brain McAlinden,
Andy Mallon,
Jim McKerr,
Enda McNulty,
Paddy Moriarty,
Kieran McGeeney,
Martin McQuillan,
Paul McGrane,
Mark Grimley,
Oisin McConville,
Joe Kernan,
Gerard Houlahan,
Steven McDonnell,
Ronan Clarke,
Johnny Corvan.

Has Clarke pushed Houlahan out to half forward or would you have him out there anyway rufus?
I don't think Clarke has come  close (not yet anyway) to pushing Houlie out of position.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Uladh

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 21, 2007, 10:00:00 PM
Uladh anytime you are man enough, name a time and a place. Anytime

Thank you. You can't imagine how hard i laughed at that post.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 22, 2007, 03:06:24 AM
rufus
Brain McAlinden,
Andy Mallon,
Jim McKerr,
Enda McNulty,
Paddy Moriarty,
Kieran McGeeney,
Martin McQuillan,
Paul McGrane,
Mark Grimley,
Oisin McConville,
Joe Kernan,
Gerard Houlahan,
Steven McDonnell,
Ronan Clarke,
Johnny Corvan.

Has Clarke pushed Houlahan out to half forward or would you have him out there anyway rufus?
I don't think Clarke has come  close (not yet anyway) to pushing Houlie out of position.

Although Houlie made his name at full forward pints, he played effectively for many years at left half forward (if my memory serves me well). Both Clarke and Houlie to my mind need inclusion, with Clarke's role being solely in full forward, and thus slotting him in at 14.

Fran McMahon (midfield) and Diarmaid Marsden (full forward line) would have been very close to inclusion.