Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie stubbs

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 17, 2007, 01:30:40 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2007, 12:45:48 PM
Easy 3 pts for you Pints on sunday, the tones are bottom so should be a walk in the park. Their manager is a balloon. you's are sticking the pace rightly
If our boys go out with that attitude we'll be beat!
Ballyhegan beat us last year at home when they were at the bottom of the table and it took a last minute goal to beat St. Peter's at home.  I hope our boys learned their lesson!

As for sticking the pace, of course we are, why wouldn't we be?

What is happening with Tones, is it all down to the manager?  Going from the bottom of division 1 to the bottom of division 2 in 12 months takes some doing. 

the fact that silverbridge scored an injury time goal after about 6 minutes of injury time may suggest otherwise.the bridge have a habit of sometimes struggling against so called lesser teams.the tones are in such a state because only around 4 or five of the players that beat cross on the first day of the season a few years ago are still on the team for various reasons.the goalkeeper and five of the starting 6 defenders are still under 21 and our best defender is in america.id say its between us,peters and annaghmore for the drop

corn02

Cruppen beat Dromintee handy enough. Although the ref gave Cruppen some of the craziest things I have seen on a football field it still would of mattered and were alot better than there 4 pijnts suggested for me. Is it a knock out or a league for this Armagh B thing?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: charlie stubbs on July 19, 2007, 07:12:13 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 17, 2007, 01:30:40 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2007, 12:45:48 PM
Easy 3 pts for you Pints on sunday, the tones are bottom so should be a walk in the park. Their manager is a balloon. you's are sticking the pace rightly
If our boys go out with that attitude we'll be beat!
Ballyhegan beat us last year at home when they were at the bottom of the table and it took a last minute goal to beat St. Peter's at home.  I hope our boys learned their lesson!

As for sticking the pace, of course we are, why wouldn't we be?

What is happening with Tones, is it all down to the manager?  Going from the bottom of division 1 to the bottom of division 2 in 12 months takes some doing. 

the fact that silverbridge scored an injury time goal after about 6 minutes of injury time may suggest otherwise.the bridge have a habit of sometimes struggling against so called lesser teams.the tones are in such a state because only around 4 or five of the players that beat cross on the first day of the season a few years ago are still on the team for various reasons.the goalkeeper and five of the starting 6 defenders are still under 21 and our best defender is in america.id say its between us,peters and annaghmore for the drop
What was that first sentence in response to? (Sorry, I'm a bit slow)

We got into a bad habit last year of struggling against the so called weaker teams because, in my opinion, we thought the points were ours before we left the changing room. 
This year has been different *touch wood* and I'd like to think lessons were learned. It probably has something to do with the competition for places as well.
I know the Tones have a young team, though the Bridge are just as young (I can't comment on others). The average age is never over 21, in fact the teams that beat Ballymacnab by 10 points and Annaghmore by 13 had, according to my rough calculation, an average age of 20. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

inthemaking

Quote from: corn02 on July 19, 2007, 07:20:21 PM
Cruppen beat Dromintee handy enough. Although the ref gave Cruppen some of the craziest things I have seen on a football field it still would of mattered and were alot better than there 4 pijnts suggested for me. Is it a knock out or a league for this Armagh B thing?

it is split into 2 groups with the top team in each group contesting the final to be declared county champions

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: inthemaking on July 20, 2007, 12:07:46 AM

it is split into 2 groups with the top team in each group contesting the final to be declared county champions

All county 'League' Champions!

Championship continues next Wednesday night, when mid Champs Ballyhegan take on North Armagh champs (& other half of the former underage Shamrocks almagamation) Maghery.

...Should be interesting!!!  ;D

Did the 'Bridge win South Armagh again?

charlie stubbs

pints my first line was in response to the fact that you should get an easy "three"points.understand that you have a young tyeam also,however,the bridge have always been seen as a footballing team.the tones team that stayed in division one was one of experienced strong footballers.one of the main strengths of the team was the brute strength throughout it.alot of these new boys although talented do not have the physical presecence of three or four years ago

Loup Bandit

Quote from: charlie stubbs on July 20, 2007, 09:55:55 AM
pints my first line was in response to the fact that you should get an easy "three"points.understand that you have a young tyeam also,however,the bridge have always been seen as a footballing team.the tones team that stayed in division one was one of experienced strong footballers.one of the main strengths of the team was the brute strength throughout it.alot of these new boys although talented do not have the physical presecence of three or four years ago

Agreed! Well said Charlie Stubbs!

illdecide

are u dudes still making an issue over me saying 3pts instead of 2pts. FFS get a life or talk about something that has a bit of importance :o
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

inthemaking

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 20, 2007, 09:17:22 AM
Quote from: inthemaking on July 20, 2007, 12:07:46 AM

All county 'League' Champions!

Championship continues next Wednesday night, when mid Champs Ballyhegan take on North Armagh champs (& other half of the former underage Shamrocks almagamation) Maghery.

...Should be interesting!!!  ;D

Did the 'Bridge win South Armagh again?

no cullyhanna beat us in the final a few weeks ago

pintsofguinness

Same as ourselves charlie, some very talented skillful footballers but very little strength but we've adapted our game to suit them and it's working. 
I reckon yous will come good (only for a very good finish to last year we could have been facing relegation playoffs) it'll take time, and a lot patience!

Goats Do Shave

Quoteno cullyhanna beat us in the final a few weeks ago
Ther was a fella from St Pats at the Ballyhegan match on Tuesday night. Kevin Someone?

He said he was over St Pats. - He never quit talking about dirty football teams. So I asked him was he over St Pats last year, he was! - I tolld him a few 'Bridge men I know (Well sorta through this Board) would have some laugh at you calling other teams dirty!

- He got all defensive stating that Silverbridge started that row & stuff... I switched off at that stage...

twotwocharlie

pints are the bridge better or worse this year compared to last year.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 20, 2007, 01:54:00 PM
Quoteno cullyhanna beat us in the final a few weeks ago
Ther was a fella from St Pats at the Ballyhegan match on Tuesday night. Kevin Someone?

He said he was over St Pats. - He never quit talking about dirty football teams. So I asked him was he over St Pats last year, he was! - I tolld him a few 'Bridge men I know (Well sorta through this Board) would have some laugh at you calling other teams dirty!

- He got all defensive stating that Silverbridge started that row & stuff... I switched off at that stage...
:D 
I read that on my way back to work from lunch and it kept be going all evening. 
They're great craic alright, our local paper, the monday after the game, had headlines on the back page talking about "horrific scenes of violence" at the match while St. Pat's PRO, in their club notes, described it as "a few shuffles".    :)

twotowcharlie
Quotepints are the bridge better or worse this year compared to last year.
I would say better but of course it depends on what you mean by better. 
Our boys will only improve and not only are they ones who were last years team improving, but we have 7 that have come on to the panel from last years minor team and they're doing exceptionally well, add Murchan, Campbell and young Hearty from the last years B team, Peter Burns back on the panel, we're actually gathering a very strong panel. 

We finished last year with 25 points – we've  played 10 games this year and have 15 points. 
Bare in mind that not once have we put out our strongest team.
We've had Liam Campbell serve a 4 week suspension
Damien McCann serve a 4 week suspension
Niall Reel out with injury for 5/6? weeks
Pete McCreesh out for 4 weeks or something with getting married.
Ryan Hamill gone away for the summer.
Brendan Bellew break his leg. 
Those are not only starters but KEY players.

Oh yeah and Ciaran Conlon walked away too.   

I've to be honest and say, they are surprising me.  Long may it continue. 

pintsofguinness

barry on orchardcounty has posted up an interesting article from Lurgan Mail...
-------------------------------------------------

Since 1977 Armagh have seen a 30 year spell which is unprecedented in the history of the county's structures, many great players have pulled on the orange jersey, but do the men of 77, 80 or 82 match up to the more recent stars. while the younger Armagh supporters may only have read about the abilities of people like Jimmy Smyth, Paddy Moriarity and Tom McCreesh would the stars of yesteryear make a county select based on performances over the last three decades.

Literally hundreds of players have worn the Armagh colours since the side came to prominence back in the mid seventies. But which players would make a team from service rendered 1977 to 2007. This is The Mail's best 15.

Goalkeeper - Brian McAlinden, Sarsfields. Even considering that Paul Hearty is an exceptional keeper, and Benny Tierney had many great years between the posts, McAlinden comes out on top, starRed for Ulster may times and was continuously the county's saviour. Top class goalkeeper and the best in 30 years.

Right corner back - Dennis Stevenson, Sarsfields. Right back on the Armagh team of the century. Brilliant corner back in his day and gets the nod in front of Andy Mallon who still has a lot of county mileage left. Stevenson was top class.

Centre full back - Jim McKerr, Clan Na Gael. Had the lot, and also played in the forwards for Armagh. South Armagh people might disagree but the Clans man was better than both Tom McCreesh and Francie Bellew, great left foot and a master craftsman. 19 years old in the 1977 final.

Left full back - Enda McNulty, Ballyboden St Enda's. One of the best players of his generation equals Dennis Stevenson's greatness in an orange jersey; Enda has been a rock in the county's defence for many years. Super year in 2002.

Right half back - Paddy Moriarity, Wolfe Tones. All Star at 19 and won his second award in 1977 from centre half back having started the year in the forwards. Has to be on this team. Even considering the exploits of Aaron Kernan, Aidan O'Rourke and Andrew McCann, Mo was one of the all time greats, better at number 6 but that's Geezer's place.

Centre half back - Kieran McGeeney, Na Fiana. Only one player for this position. Absolutely nothing to prove in an Armagh Jersey. Fitting that he got to lift the Sam Maguire back in 2002 and could always have a role in Armagh affairs, totally dedicated player.

Left half back - Martin McQuillan, St Pat's Dorsey. One of Armagh's most classiest players has seven Railway Cup medals to his credit won with Ulster. Played in the 1990s and would have fitted like a glove in the modern system. Speedy defender with real class.

Midfield No. 8 - Neil Smyth, Mullaghbawn. Brilliant midfielder who played on a team who won very little, Smyth had and athleticism, better all rounder than McKinstry, McGrane or Burns. Smashing player.

Midfield No. 9 - Joe Kernan, Crossmaglen. Two goals against Dublin in the 77 All Ireland set him up for an All Star, formed the greatest ever Armagh midfield partnership with Colm McKinstry, Kernan was brilliant in the air and on the ground.

Right half forward - Oisin McConville, Crossmaglen. Probably the most influential players ever to play for the county. Always there when it mattered. Superstar in his own right and Ulster's top scorer of all time.

Centre half forward - Jimmy Smyth, Clan na Gael. Despite the numerous nominations for the number 11 shirt. Smyth sticks out like a sore thumb. Class act who could only be pushed for the place by John McEntee.

Left half forward - Kieran McGurk, Sarsflelds. Played for many years in a variety of positions. Great left foot and strong on the ball with it, the ideal play maker and was instrumental in creating a host of chances for the man we have chosen to wear 14.

Right full forward - Steven McDonnell, Killeavey. Unchallenged for the position, will be remembered as one of the great modern forwards along with Canavan and Linden.

Centre full forward - Gerard Houlahan, Pearse Ogs.. Kept Armagh afloat when times were not so good for the county. Prolific scorer.

Left full forward - Peter Loughran, Carrickcruppin. Peter passed away a number of years ago but he would be remembered for being one of Armagh most consistent forwards, got the nod here in front of big names such as Dairmaid Marsden and John Corvan.

rrhf

Tell me this.  Did Jim Mc Kerr mark frank Mc Guigan in the 84 Ulster final.