Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: topgun on June 26, 2007, 01:29:52 PM
All County B league imo the intentions are good, and to improve as a footballer you need to test urself against higher quality opposition, but imo the way forward is to create a reserve league with matches being played on the same day as the senior team, for example if all teams in their respective leagues/ divisions have two games on a sunday ie harps reserve team play their counterparts from crossmaglen at 1pm and the seniors play at 2 30pm, this imo would raise the standard of  football within each club and across the county, lord knows something has to be done.

Can anyone confirm this: i was speaking to our club secretary last night and he told me that the B-teams this year (as far as he knows) in the b league will join up to play each other. He said the top 4 teams from north, south and mid armagh will play each other in a mini league. ????????????
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

topgun

yes it is the top 4 from each but imo it would be more beneficial if it was like i said in my first post
a prophet is not recognised by his own

full back

AFAIK that is the plan illdecide or something similar to it.

As for topgun's idea, I think what we need to concentrate on is getting decent referee's first. Imagine trying to get 2 decent referee's for each venue on a Sunday

topgun

maybe the more practise the refs get the better they might become ;D

illdecide

Quote from: topgun on June 26, 2007, 01:39:02 PM
yes it is the top 4 from each but imo it would be more beneficial if it was like i said in my first post

I know what your saying and it makes sense, but take ourselves for instance. We rely on several players from our reserves to make up the numbers on the senior panel. So we would struggle to get enough players for 2 games on the one day.

But your idea is good, it certainly would give lads a sterner test and a more competive game as the north armagh b-league is crop and a joke
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

topgun

in theory both teams train together boosting numbers at training, the one management team take both teams, so those playing well get their chance with the seniors, vice versa if someone is lacking confidence they play with the reserves. do away with this naming 15 players(load of bollicks) that cant play B league if you played for the seniors in the championship last year u ar ineligible for the reserve championship, its a win win situation players get football at a higher standard that they can improve from, the 18 to 21 age group that is neglected can flourish with both teams training together competition for places meaning a higher stanard across the county

Uladh

Quote from: topgun on June 26, 2007, 03:08:18 PM
in theory both teams train together boosting numbers at training,

And reducing the quality

topgun

increasing competition, increases quality, improves teams, improves players, have you ever coached or trained with 7/8 players compared to 32/33 look at the numbers on the tyrone panel this year 38

Uladh

yes, but if a team has 18/20 players of a good standard and you add 10 or 12 of lesser ability into training sessions, the quality of drills, intensity of matches and overall productivity falls.

laceer

Quote from: Uladh on June 26, 2007, 03:23:16 PM
yes, but if a team has 18/20 players of a good standard and you add 10 or 12 of lesser ability into training sessions, the quality of drills, intensity of matches and overall productivity falls.

it's not a professional club you're running here where if someone aint good enough they're disregarded.how are lesser players meant to develop if they're not playing/training at a decent level?
Quote from: topgun on June 26, 2007, 01:29:52 PM
All County B league imo the intentions are good, and to improve as a footballer you need to test urself against higher quality opposition, but imo the way forward is to create a reserve league with matches being played on the same day as the senior team, for example if all teams in their respective leagues/ divisions have two games on a sunday ie harps reserve team play their counterparts from crossmaglen at 1pm and the seniors play at 2 30pm, this imo would raise the standard of  football within each club and across the county, lord knows something has to be done.

thats how the reserve league is run in tyrone-definitly benifits players comin back from injury,out of form etc. Is also a good stepping stone to the senior teams

topgun

do u not see how these poorer standard players benefit from training with better players increasing the overal standard, training with poorer players isnt going to lessan your own ability, but give u confidence, so where as you started with 18/20 good players you now have 26/27, and your overal panel has improved. we in armagh need to improve club football as a whole there are teams in our intermediate championship that would struggle in the junior in tyrone and derry, and if you take tyrone as an example theyre senior team is going to be challenging(unfortunatly) for all irelands for the next 3/4 years and they have a healthly senior championship where realistically anyone of 4/5 teams can win it, and they use this system, in armagh whos gonna stop cross

full back

It's not just teams in Armagh that have problems stopping Cross
To use them as an example is wide of the mark

maddog

Quoteand if you take tyrone as an example theyre senior team is going to be challenging(unfortunatly) for all irelands for the next 3/4 years and they have a healthly senior championship where realistically anyone of 4/5 teams can win it, and they use this system, in armagh whos gonna stop cross

When we had teams like the Harps, Ogs, Sarsfields, Maghery, Mullaghbawn etc all winning senior championships, we couldnt win an argument at county level. Cross are an exceptional team, thats all there is to it. I agree with the earlier point about having b matches before senior matches, its the best way of showcasing players to make the step up and probably helps creates more comraderie within a club.

topgun

Quote from: full back on June 26, 2007, 03:53:17 PM
It's not just teams in Armagh that have problems stopping Cross
To use them as an example is wide of the mark

sit you down

they are going for i dont no exactly 11/12 in a row this is a disgrace armagh football needs a strong competitive senior championship, for the benefit of both the county team and club football across the board

Quote from: maddog on June 26, 2007, 03:59:14 PM
Quoteand if you take tyrone as an example theyre senior team is going to be challenging(unfortunatly) for all irelands for the next 3/4 years and they have a healthly senior championship where realistically anyone of 4/5 teams can win it, and they use this system, in armagh whos gonna stop cross

When we had teams like the Harps, Ogs, Sarsfields, Maghery, Mullaghbawn etc all winning senior championships, we couldnt win an argument at county level. Cross are an exceptional team, thats all there is to it. I agree with the earlier point about having b matches before senior matches, its the best way of showcasing players to make the step up and probably helps creates more comraderie within a club.

if im not mistaken armagh took the eventual all ireland champions to a replay in 1993, ulster as whole was very strong in the early 90s, and there was no back door system as there is now

bennydorano

From what I have heard the format of the All county B league is, Top 4 from North, Mid & South, teams 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 from each section are split into 2 groups leaving 2 groups of 6. Each team has 5 games, I'd assume top 2 from each section play in semis.  Games start Wed 18th July and will continue on successive Wed nights.  

I think the 'Tyrone' format is a good idea as well, practicalities of it are that most teams would struggle to field 30/40 players on any given Sunday.  I actually had this discussion not a fortnight ago and mentioned that I thought we'd struggle with numbers and the answer I got was 'if it happens you'll have no bother fielding' - not a very practical answer.

Maghery didn't win a SFC btw.