Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

crossfire

Orior

Anyone know how Armagh faired against Cavan today?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Carbery

Quote from: Orior on October 23, 2011, 09:05:11 PM
Anyone know how Armagh faired against Cavan today?

Fitzsimons Cup: Armagh overcome Cavan
23 October 2011

Armagh 3-11
Cavan 1-16

Armagh overcame the challenge of Cavan in the Fitszimons Cup, a senior intercounty football competition organised by the Gaeil Colmcille club, at a wet Pairc Tailteann.

Mickey Brennan put Cavan on the scoreboard first and after ten minutes the Breffni men led 0-4 to 0-0. Armagh's opening score was a well taken goal from half foward Sean Moore. The accurate free taking of Cavan full foward Ray Galligan and some fine scores from Brennan and Niall McDermott insured that the led at the break 0-9 to 1-4.

Galligan put more daylight between the sides when he flicked a Dane O'Dowd pass to the Armagh net to leave the score 1-9 to 1-4. But Armagh battled hard to get back into the game and a goal from Eugene McVerry left the minimum between the sides.Points from half backs Mark Shields, Aidan Forker and Michael Stevenson brought Armagh to within a point again 2-8 to 1-12. A second goal from McVerry had Paddy O'Rourke's men ahead 3-8 to 1-13 with ten minutes left. A Galligan free levelled the match 1-14 to 3-8. But Armagh finished the stronger and points from Brian Mallon and substitutes Paul Carville and Conor White put the Orchard County men into the final where they will met Meath.

Armagh: Ryan Magennis, David Lavery, Declan McKenna, Adrian Conlon, Mark Shields (0-1), Aidan Forker (0-1), Michael Stevenson (0-1), James Donnelly, James Lavery, Pauric Gribben, Brian Mallon (0-1), Sean Moore (1-1), Eugene McVerry (2-0), Stefan Forker(0-3), Stefan Campbell.
Subs: Sean Hughes, Ryan Rafferty, Paul Carvill (0-2), Conor White (0-1)

Cavan: Fintan Reilly, Oisin Minagh, Sean McCormack, Daragh Tighe, Barry Watters, Joey Jordan, Dane O'Dowd, Ray Cullivan, Declan McKiernan, Stephen Jordan, Declan Meehan, Michael Brennan (0-3), Niall McDermott (0-2), Ray Galligan (1-10), Conor McClarry (0-1).
Subs: Barry Tully and Kieran Galligan

Referee Joey Curley Meath

www.hoganstand.com

Orior

Next Question - where are those boys from?

Ryan Magennis
David Lavery
Declan McKenna - Harps
Adrian Conlon
Mark Shields
Aidan Forker - Maghery?
Michael Stevenson - Sarsfields?
James Donnelly
James Lavery - Maghery
Pauric Gribben
Brian Mallon - Tir na Og
Sean Moore
Eugene McVerry - Mullaghbawn?
Stefan Forker - Maghery
Stefan Campbell

Subs: Sean Hughes, Ryan Rafferty, Paul Carvill, Conor White
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AFS

Quote from: Orior on October 23, 2011, 10:45:41 PM
Next Question - where are those boys from?

Ryan Magennis - Clans?
David Lavery - Maghery?
Declan McKenna - Harps
Adrian Conlon Tullysaran?
Mark Shields - Whitecross
Aidan Forker - Maghery?
Michael Stevenson - Sarsfields?
James Donnelly - Killeavy
James Lavery - Maghery
Pauric Gribben - Ballymacnab
Brian Mallon - Tir na Og
Sean Moore - Ogs
Eugene McVerry - Mullaghbawn?
Stefan Forker - Maghery
Stefan Campbell - Clans

Subs: Sean Hughes - Ballymacnab?, Ryan Rafferty - Granemore, Paul Carvill - Tir na Og?, Conor White - Harps

Midman

PS congratulations to the Middletown Hurlers, Ulster Intermediate champions!

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156918

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Midman on October 24, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Great achievement, They have wiped the floor with everyone this year, Anyone know what they'll be up against in the semi's.

Middletown were traditionally strong up the middle and would get you into a dog eat dog battle and grind you down, but this team is full of quality skillfull hurlers that can do a lot of damage, and the majority of them are 19-25 bracket.

crossfire

TO TACADOIRARDMHACHA

Re your post of 17th Oct

Your point that our success is as a result of a superb batch of players coming along at the same time is quite a valid one although it is hardly a coincidence that this is the second batch of superb players that have come along in the past 15 years.

Your earlier assertion in the same post that our success was in some way due to the population of Cross and the absence of other sports is rather simplistic.
Cross has a population of 1800 and has had a soccer team ( Cartwheel United ) for the past 25 years.

In County Monaghan towns of similar size and population, Carrickmacross and Clones, have not won the senior championship in over 50 years

In Derry, Dungiven has 3 times the population of either Bellaghy or Ballinderry and yet they have only won i senior title in the past 20 years whilst the other 2 have won 6 each.

How can you explain the lack of success by Strabane where there is nationalist population of 20,000

illdecide

Quote from: crossfire on October 24, 2011, 03:41:29 PM
TO TACADOIRARDMHACHA

Re your post of 17th Oct

Your point that our success is as a result of a superb batch of players coming along at the same time is quite a valid one although it is hardly a coincidence that this is the second batch of superb players that have come along in the past 15 years.

Your earlier assertion in the same post that our success was in some way due to the population of Cross and the absence of other sports is rather simplistic.
Cross has a population of 1800 and has had a soccer team ( Cartwheel United ) for the past 25 years.

In County Monaghan towns of similar size and population, Carrickmacross and Clones, have not won the senior championship in over 50 years

In Derry, Dungiven has 3 times the population of either Bellaghy or Ballinderry and yet they have only won i senior title in the past 20 years whilst the other 2 have won 6 each.

How can you explain the lack of success by Strabane where there is nationalist population of 20,000

Drink, Drugs, soccer, rugby, women and vandalism...and who would seriously like to play for Carthorse Utd FFS ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

crossfire

They would probably beat Clans. :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 24, 2011, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: Midman on October 24, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Great achievement, They have wiped the floor with everyone this year, Anyone know what they'll be up against in the semi's.

Middletown were traditionally strong up the middle and would get you into a dog eat dog battle and grind you down, but this team is full of quality skillfull hurlers that can do a lot of damage, and the majority of them are 19-25 bracket.

Yes watched them beat a very fancied Lamh Dhearg team in the semi final, in fairness they wouldn't have much quality but what they lacked in natural skills they made up in sheer strength and determination.

From the very start I was fearfull for the Lamhs team. The big fullforward won most balls that came in, but lost out when trying to off load them to other players. They also missed a lot of shots when on their own and their free taking could have lost them the match on it's own!!
But Lamh's couldn't get to grips with them and fair play to Middletown, I believe they will play Munster opposition, as long as there is no quarter final game against our English friends.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Quote from: crossfire on October 25, 2011, 01:53:23 AM
They would probably beat Clans. :)

I was only explaining the lack of success from Strabane...no need for the smart arse remarks, or was that because i belittled Crossmaglen's soccer team ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

DearyMe

Thoughts on Cross v Galls?

Asked similar question before Armagh county final in relation to Ballymc!  Some on here gave them a chance!!!

Are Cross this good?  should Galls be afeared???
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Applesisapples

Cross should win by 2 or 3. But don't rule St Gall's out as other factors on the day such as weather and home advantage can come in to it.