Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tir na nÓg

It will be hard to bounce back if use lose bumpy, can't see there being any forwards on the current squad who could replace him. Both for influence and ability. Bumpy would probably get use what? 8 or 9 points per game? Whoever comes in for him will have some huge boots to fill!!

Uladh

Quote from: illdecide on June 12, 2007, 01:21:41 PM
thats the difference with teams that have tradition such as Clans and Harps etc.

A complete myth in the modern game.

armagh leg-end

the tones beat madden by 3 points, scoreline flattering them. madden were 6 points up with 16minutes left and didnt kick home. Tones first goal should have been a free out, maddens corner back had two hands on the ball and the second was a point attempt which dropped in when the sides were level. But then again, points win matches, goals win championships. I would have said madden were the better team on the day and wolfe tones will struggle to go any furthur. But the league is still there for the taking, 6 games won out of 6. Big top of the table clash with por mor.
Ard Mhacha Abu

full back

I see the Bridge got the big game in the next round of the Championship, Cross v Dromintee
POG will be happy after giving out that they dont get any big games

T Fearon

Clans tradition is like that of Down's...something for the faithful to pine for in dark days when a neighbour is reigning supreme, but it counts for nothing the modern game.Maghery and Tir Na Nog are now the pace setters in N.Armagh ;D

T Fearon

Whats the dates/venues for the other quarter finals?

Presumably N Armagh's top team will be playing Cruppen in Armagh City?

full back

Cross v Dromintee in the Bridge
Cruppen v Tir na Nog in Abbey Park
Killeavey v Maghery in the 'Nab
'Nab v Pearse Og in Keady

Dont think there are any dates yet

illdecide

Quote from: T Fearon on June 12, 2007, 03:13:33 PM
Whats the dates/venues for the other quarter finals?

Presumably N Armagh's top team will be playing Cruppen in Armagh City?

Tony you keep talking and i'll keep shovelling :D, we have some exceptional minors coming through who seem (at the minute) committed to the cause. so the future looks better than you's lads think 8)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

With all due respect to Tir na nOg when push comes to shove I would rather play them than the Clans in a big championship game.  Clans are going througha hard time at the minute and with Bumpy retiring and Marsden getting older it will be tough for them.  They need to look at their club structure, but they are no different than Cross were in the late 80's.  We couldn't buy a championship win then but we all know what happened.  Well done to portadown but don't lose the run of yourselves.

As for Philly Oldham being dirty, I know of maybe descriptions for him but dirty would not be one of them ;)

T Fearon

In fairness, no one from Portadown would expect us to live with Cross in a Champinship game, yet the team has potential. They showed no fear of Clan nc Gael in either of the games, and were strong all over the field, with forwards who can take scores, win possession and a free taker that's the match of anyone in Armagh, including Oisin and Aaron Kernan, in my opinion.

Also, victory over Clans was secured without Brian  Mallon! I think we are as well equipped as any team in Armagh with the obvious exception of Crossmaglen of course.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't be too surprised about the win over Clans. After all they were a division two side two years ago, and we were County U21 Champions just three short years ago ;D

pdown79

I totally agree with what your saying that one win in the championship doesnt mean that wee rule the roost..it certainly doesn't. I just think that a game like that (sorry two games like that) will do all of our young players a lot of good in terms of a test of character. I think the hungrier side won on saturday night and to be honest, i havent seen a side from tir na nog as well organised in 10 years. When going through the team:
Tony marley-19
chris mcdonald-22
pierce mcdonald-20
steven mccann-20
barry mcdonald-23
gavin cusack-21
ciaran tiffney-21
paul carville-21
david scullion-23
kieran mccann-23
mark mcalister-19
james donnelly-17/18

And this isnt to mention our county player brian mallon who is also 22!

All these players played in those two games and when you look at the average age, its rather frightening to think that they give an experienced clan na gael side who hadnt one player under 21 on the pitch, all they wanted. The big problem is though, keeping the team together,keeping them off the drink, and making gaelic football their main priority.

High Catch

Don't mean to be petty but Brian Mallon could not still be 22!

pdown79

armaghniac

QuoteDon't mean to be petty but Brian Mallon could not still be 22!

that's the whole attraction of life in Tír na nÓg, you never grow old!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Lol! ;D

I think the team should have a new nickname after Saturday Night in Maghery....Midget Gems! ;D

or the Lough Neagh Lions! (Appropriate as we have one player who turned down Celtic).

I only hope Saturday night isn't a false dawn, in the early 80s we had a team with potential, winning the Intermediate in 80, beaten by a point in the Senior Semi Finals in 1981 (I recall a marathon game that went to a couple of replays with Harps in the first round that year) and 1983, then more or less disappeared for 15 years.