The home of hurling

Started by Asal Mor, July 17, 2012, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Was watching some old matches from the late eighties there. Cork v Tipp Munster finals 87, 88, 89 and Tipp v Antrim 89 All- Ireland final. Some great games especially those Munster finals and some amazing scores from Niicky and Pat Fox in particular. The atmosphere at these games was really intense especially as the Tipp crowds seemed to spend the last 20 minutes gathered behind the opposing team's goal, invading the pitch every time their heroes got a score. It's a good way to end a famine i suppose and sorry for dragging it up again after all these years but I was just curious about why it happened so often. Are Tipp people more passionate about the game than everyone else or are they just an unruly bunch of savages with no regard for rules, fair play and decency?

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 17, 2012, 01:43:12 PM
Was watching some old matches from the late eighties there. Cork v Tipp Munster finals 87, 88, 89 and Tipp v Antrim 89 All- Ireland final. Some great games especially those Munster finals and some amazing scores from Niicky and Pat Fox in particular. The atmosphere at these games was really intense especially as the Tipp crowds seemed to spend the last 20 minutes gathered behind the opposing team's goal, invading the pitch every time their heroes got a score. It's a good way to end a famine i suppose and sorry for dragging it up again after all these years but I was just curious about why it happened so often. Are Tipp people more passionate about the game than everyone else or are they just an unruly bunch of savages with no regard for rules, fair play and decency?
Poor ould Tipp spent a long time trying to break out of Munster. I thought they would do it in 84 but it was not to be. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Asal Mor

They're going well the last few years though seafoid. Consistently putting it up to The Big 2. That's where I'd like to see Galway get to.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 17, 2012, 01:57:29 PM
They're going well the last few years though seafoid. Consistently putting it up to The Big 2. That's where I'd like to see Galway get to.
This year is make or break for Tipp.  3 all Ireland finals and only  one in the bag is a poor enough show

johnneycool

I think in Justin McCarthy's book he wrote about his time coaching Cashel King Cormacs that even in the changing room the players would be talking about who won what U-10, underage game the previous evening whereas when he'd coached in other counties there'd be far more banter about English soccer and the likes.

Met a few Toomevara lads in New York and they were away with the birds altogether, so a bit of both Asal.

Asal Mor

That's interesting Johnny. I suppose you'd have to say fair play to them for their passion.

homeofhurling8

[/quote]This year is make or break for Tipp.  3 all Ireland finals and only  one in the bag is a poor enough show
[/quote]

Well aren't we constantly being told that the current Kilkenny team is the "greatest of all time", i would say beating them in one final and losing by a couple of scores in the other two ain't bad going, if we were to beat them in this years semi then the score would be 2-2 with the "greatest hurling team in history", does that make this Tipp team the second greatest hurling team of all time ;)

homeofhurling8

I think its difficult to explain what Killarney 87 meant to Tipp supporters, people my age had never seen Tipp win anything before 87, a whole generation had grown up on stories of our glorious past but we had no stories of our own to pass down to our kids, Killarney changed all that.

I have never felt a high like i felt when the final whistle went that day, nothing before or since will ever match the sheer euphoria of the famine ending, and i include my kids being born and the ending of the drive for five in that !

On the flip side nothing will ever match the low felt in Thurles in 84,maybe us Tipp lads are just wired up wrong ;)

seafoid

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on July 17, 2012, 04:17:28 PM

This year is make or break for Tipp.  3 all Ireland finals and only  one in the bag is a poor enough show
[/quote]

Well aren't we constantly being told that the current Kilkenny team is the "greatest of all time", i would say beating them in one final and losing by a couple of scores in the other two ain't bad going, if we were to beat them in this years semi then the score would be 2-2 with the "greatest hurling team in history", does that make this Tipp team the second greatest hurling team of all time ;)
[/quote]
Speaking with my Babs Keating hat on, in 1958 if you asked John Doyle if he would  be happy with 1 all Ireland out of 3 trips to Croke Park because Kilkenny were the greatest team ever he would have called you a gaelic footballer.

Oraisteach

Ooops, thought this thread was about Armagh or Louth, Cuchulainn and all.

johnneycool

Quote from: homeofhurling8 on July 17, 2012, 04:34:41 PM

I think its difficult to explain what Killarney 87 meant to Tipp supporters, people my age had never seen Tipp win anything before 87, a whole generation had grown up on stories of our glorious past but we had no stories of our own to pass down to our kids, Killarney changed all that.

I have never felt a high like i felt when the final whistle went that day, nothing before or since will ever match the sheer euphoria of the famine ending, and i include my kids being born and the ending of the drive for five in that !

On the flip side nothing will ever match the low felt in Thurles in 84,maybe us Tipp lads are just wired up wrong ;)

I was at the Munster final as a youngster in 1987, the drawn game in Thurles. It was something I'll never forget, the throngs in Liberty square before the game, the walk up to the ground, the place was packed to the rafters and the roars of 'Tipp' ringing out through what was then the new stand.
I was on for Cork, but was in awe of the whole event, those were the days!

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on July 19, 2012, 09:59:14 AM
Quote from: homeofhurling8 on July 17, 2012, 04:34:41 PM

I was at the Munster final as a youngster in 1987, the drawn game in Thurles. It was something I'll never forget, the throngs in Liberty square before the game, the walk up to the ground, the place was packed to the rafters and the roars of 'Tipp' ringing out through what was then the new stand.
I was on for Cork, but was in awe of the whole event, those were the days!

They thought they would win the all Ireland straight away as well

eviemonkey

Tipp were ravenous for a win in the 1984 Munster Final for obvious reasons - their own famine period, Cork on their home patch and the Centenary Final to be played in Semple Stadium. It was an ordinary enough Tipp team compared to the one that followed but they played above themselves roared on by a passionate home crowd. The atmosphere that day was spell-binding, walls of noise whenever either team scored. The dramatic finish turned what was already a great occasion into one of the all-time great games imo. I was young enough at the time but can remember the Tipp support been totally deflated at the end, many too numb to leave their seats in the stand until the Cork crowd had left first.

When you consider the disappointment of that day, and another close game in 1985 you could understand their outpouring of joy/relief in Killarney in 1987 but they had to wait another couple of years to bring Liam back to Tipp.

Great games, great memories of Cork and Tipp between 1984 and 1992. The 1984 Munster Final would be my personal favourite hurling game but even in defeat you could still marvel at the games you lost - 1987 replay and the 1991 replay. The Cork and Tipp rivalry is a friendly one with a lot of mutual respect for the other county.

Ash Smoker

I would concur that Tipperary supporters come across as the most outwardly passionate hurling followers.
With Cork you always get the feeling that as much as they love their hurling, they don't let defeat eat them up. With a large city base, there are other sports and distractions too.
Kilkenny supporters are much more serious and reserved. They wouldn't be renowned for having the craic.

I remember once seeing a Tipperary pitch invasion where a man in a wheelchair was tearing across the pitch at the same speed as those who were sprinting.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: eviemonkey on July 21, 2012, 03:07:14 PM
Tipp were ravenous for a win in the 1984 Munster Final for obvious reasons - their own famine period, Cork on their home patch and the Centenary Final to be played in Semple Stadium. It was an ordinary enough Tipp team compared to the one that followed but they played above themselves roared on by a passionate home crowd. The atmosphere that day was spell-binding, walls of noise whenever either team scored. The dramatic finish turned what was already a great occasion into one of the all-time great games imo. I was young enough at the time but can remember the Tipp support been totally deflated at the end, many too numb to leave their seats in the stand until the Cork crowd had left first.

When you consider the disappointment of that day, and another close game in 1985 you could understand their outpouring of joy/relief in Killarney in 1987 but they had to wait another couple of years to bring Liam back to Tipp.

Great games, great memories of Cork and Tipp between 1984 and 1992. The 1984 Munster Final would be my personal favourite hurling game but even in defeat you could still marvel at the games you lost - 1987 replay and the 1991 replay. The Cork and Tipp rivalry is a friendly one with a lot of mutual respect for the other county.
Great days!
The back door has taken a little of the edge off the Munster Championship, but Munster finals like 1984 and 1987 are occasions that define your life.