Tomás Mulcahy's hurling rant in the paper

Started by The Wedger, January 24, 2010, 06:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ha ha derry

Reillers, I think it,s more to do with managers taking the choice away from the dual players. If the players had the choice (no consequences or ultimatums) I think you,d see alot more dual players at inter county level. I,ve been talking to to a few lads that are / were involved in both derry panels and would love to be allowed to play both.

Onlooker

I agree with you 100%, hahaderry.   There are many players who would like to give it a go in both hurling and football and it is the managers (particularly outside managers) who make it impossible for them to attempt it.  I have just finished reading Damian Lawlor's book about the Waterford footballers and was shocked by the obstacles that Davie Fitzgerald put in the way of Gary Hurney and Shane Walsh who were playing against Cork in the 1st round of the Munster Championship.  The clown (Davie Fitz) put them through a tough training seesion on the day before the Cork match.  I never had much time for Davy Fitz and you would have even less after reading that book.

Milltown Row2

In Belfast, we have a serious amount of Dual clubs. our own club is showing that you can achieve some success at both sports albeit at different levels. all the players that played the hurling semi final all played/play football if not senior then reserve and contuie to do so.

for me and its my view, clubs should be encourage to have both sports
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ha ha derry

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2010, 09:58:47 PM
In Belfast, we have a serious amount of Dual clubs. our own club is showing that you can achieve some success at both sports albeit at different levels. all the players that played the hurling semi final all played/play football if not senior then reserve and contuie to do so.

for me and its my view, clubs should be encourage to have both sports

Dunloy a few years ago won the Ulster hurling and intermediate football in Antrim. Who, d av thunk it  :o

Milltown Row2

Dunloy did really well that year, think they got to the ulster football final, which was a tougher challenge
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Reillers

Quote from: ha ha derry on January 28, 2010, 06:11:27 PM
Reillers, I think it,s more to do with managers taking the choice away from the dual players. If the players had the choice (no consequences or ultimatums) I think you,d see alot more dual players at inter county level. I,ve been talking to to a few lads that are / were involved in both derry panels and would love to be allowed to play both.

I agree, if managers communicated and set down a fair timetable, and communicated all the way, not getting bitter if game time collides and he has to make a choice. There will be times where it will get difficult, like in Cork, because there it's likely that both teams will be involved in the Championship for a good part of the season. They have to be careful that there isn't a risk of burn out or over training etc. Things like that which could lead to problems down the line.

Some managers wouldn't stand for it, the likes of Cody wouldn't anyway I think. Obviously they haven't had a problem with it yet in Cork, Cadogan will try it, if pushed I think he'll remain with the hurlers, but fair play to the lad for trying both.
Hopefully it'll work out.

theskull1

I'd agree that managers play a big part and mabye from their perspective we might do similar things

But yeah if a club player does 2 nights training with the hurlers and misses the football training, but wants to play football then he should be given the chance by the manager to play. Pick him on his performances. He's doing 2 nights the same as the football only boys. If he loses out on ball work and it shows in his performances then drop him to the reserves.

The reverse of course could apply if he's gay

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Zulu

I couldn't agree with that skull, if he did one night with each code then fine but if a player isn't willing to commit one night per week to you then he shouldn't be played before a guy who is. I'm mean if the same player never went training because he went drinking tue and thur but it didn't prevent him from playing well should he still be picked?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zulu on January 29, 2010, 07:51:32 PM
I couldn't agree with that skull, if he did one night with each code then fine but if a player isn't willing to commit one night per week to you then he shouldn't be played before a guy who is. I'm mean if the same player never went training because he went drinking tue and thur but it didn't prevent him from playing well should he still be picked?

the lads training away Zulu, if the fella is good enough then let him. so if ya had a player like Teddy McCarthy in your squad, you as a supporter wouldn't what him playing cause he was getting a night off hurling training!!?

there is 8/9 players and panel players on both teams at Naomh Gall. there is no way these lads can expect to be at all the sessions and play college games on top.

gets to the point were they don't enjoy it and have burn out. its a dying breed, dual players but its great to see young lads willing to play games they love without threats of being dropped.

Zulu

I agree but why can't a dual player train one night with one code and the other night with the second code? If you are just turning up for the games then you aren't part of the team at all IMO, so if we substitute drinking with training with the local soccer team, he is now training so should he still start for the football and hurling team, even though he trains for neither GAA team?

theskull1

Quote from: Zulu on January 29, 2010, 10:08:10 PM
I agree but why can't a dual player train one night with one code and the other night with the second code? If you are just turning up for the games then you aren't part of the team at all IMO, so if we substitute drinking with training with the local soccer team, he is now training so should he still start for the football and hurling team, even though he trains for neither GAA team?

Didn't say he should start anything. If his fitness and application on the pitch isn't there then the manager should drop him. He has to be training properly elsewhere to be at himself, but rest well enough inbetween to be affective come game time. The player himself should choose if he wants to train with one or both codes in the club.... as long as he trains well then he's showing the right commitment IMO. Then, if he's good enough, play him
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on January 30, 2010, 12:46:06 AM

Didn't say he should start anything. If his fitness and application on the pitch isn't there then the manager should drop him. He has to be training properly elsewhere to be at himself, but rest well enough inbetween to be affective come game time. The player himself should choose if he wants to train with one or both codes in the club.... as long as he trains well then he's showing the right commitment IMO. Then, if he's good enough, play him

Ah lads surely, I mean the women manage to figure it out..surely it's not that hard.
If he is that committed then he'll be willing to take the punishment of sorts that will come with playing both codes. If he does work with both during the week, ball work and such, and does conditioning with one. Say, what, both team has one night of just conditioning or whatever a week, pure example, all he'd need to do is it with one side.
If his fitness/dedication/skill..etc isn't there, from him, or from any player for that matter, then obviously they shouldn't be played.
If he trains well and hard, just like everyone else, then if he's good enough he'll play. I mean it's one thing if you've got players missing one or two nights a week for nothing, it's another if you know that though they might be missing one, at least you know they're getting training done.
And at the end of the day they should be judged as any other player is judged when it comes to picking the team, purely on whether they're good enough, what form they're in etc. No exceptions. The best player plays at the end of the day.

Zulu

Quote from: theskull1 on January 30, 2010, 12:46:06 AM

Sorry skull but I couldn't agree with that, if you were the hurling coach and I was the football coach in the club and a decent hurler turned to you and said 'sorry skull but I'm only going to train with the footballers, I'll turn up for the hurling games alright but I won't be at training', I'd doubt you'd be happy to pick him, unless maybe, he was an exceptional hurler. I'd be teh same with the football, for two basic reasons, first there would other players training who'd have to make way for this guy when he comes to games, secondly training is a process and football/hurling are team games some the training is about developing a team, if your never there you can't be part of that process.

QuoteAh lads surely, I mean the women manage to figure it out..surely it's not that hard.

I agree, train one night with the hurlers and one night with the footballers, why isn't that the best solution?