FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Pot 6 could do with Isle of Man or Guernsey to bulk it up. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 10:58:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:47:14 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 10:28:16 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:24:43 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 10:13:53 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:06:39 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 09:46:04 PM
At least Ireland didn't lose, but they'll only be 3rd seeds for the world cup draw. Needed to win to get drawn as second seeds.

Does anybody know any genealogy experts with time on their hands during lockdown that could look up family histories for strikers playing in the UK and find an Irish granny or grandad. It's looking like the only way might find someone to play for us who can score a goal.

You profoundly don't get what is going on, do you?

Ireland drew 0-0 as far as I can tell it's been about 10 and 1/2 hours since Ireland scored a goal.

This is the same Irish side that scored 3 goals over 2 games in the last campaign against Gibraltar. One of them was an OG and another came in injury time at the end of the game.

Shane Duffy is Ireland's only attacking threat from set pieces as we are lacking creativity in midfield and quality strikers in the forward line.

Now if I'm mistaken in any of those points please enlighten me. Clearly you've seen something (except goals) over the last year that I didn't

If you think the FAI and Kennys response to a lack of form strikers is to go down the granny route you are willfully deluding yourself

That's your big profund enlightenment? Ah lad come on. I was expecting some yoda like tactical analysis of what I was profoundly missing. All I get is a childish you don't know what you're on about

I don't?

Kenny is a new broom, for right or wrong. Personally I don't see success with him, but you are on a different planet if you think he is going to not wait and see with the batch of U21 talent bubbling under

That's a long way from being profoundly wrong. If anything it's a vindication for my points so thanks for admitting that.

I want Kenny to succeed, but it's the weakest pool of players he has to to work with since the 1980s. Doherty, Egan and Coleman are the only established premier league players playing regularly every week and they are all defenders. Unfortunately Doherty & Coleman play in the same position. I refuse to include Jeff Hendrick as he offers nothing in an Ireland jersey. He should be a leader of the team with his experience but instead you only notice him on the pitch when he makes a mistake.

The U21 players might make a difference, but by the time they gain enough experience Kenny will probably have been sacked.

Beat by Iceland and struggled to beat Luxembourg

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on November 19, 2020, 12:44:20 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 10:58:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:47:14 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 10:28:16 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:24:43 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 10:13:53 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:06:39 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 09:46:04 PM
At least Ireland didn't lose, but they'll only be 3rd seeds for the world cup draw. Needed to win to get drawn as second seeds.

Does anybody know any genealogy experts with time on their hands during lockdown that could look up family histories for strikers playing in the UK and find an Irish granny or grandad. It's looking like the only way might find someone to play for us who can score a goal.

You profoundly don't get what is going on, do you?

Ireland drew 0-0 as far as I can tell it's been about 10 and 1/2 hours since Ireland scored a goal.

This is the same Irish side that scored 3 goals over 2 games in the last campaign against Gibraltar. One of them was an OG and another came in injury time at the end of the game.

Shane Duffy is Ireland's only attacking threat from set pieces as we are lacking creativity in midfield and quality strikers in the forward line.

Now if I'm mistaken in any of those points please enlighten me. Clearly you've seen something (except goals) over the last year that I didn't

If you think the FAI and Kennys response to a lack of form strikers is to go down the granny route you are willfully deluding yourself

That's your big profund enlightenment? Ah lad come on. I was expecting some yoda like tactical analysis of what I was profoundly missing. All I get is a childish you don't know what you're on about

I don't?

Kenny is a new broom, for right or wrong. Personally I don't see success with him, but you are on a different planet if you think he is going to not wait and see with the batch of U21 talent bubbling under

That's a long way from being profoundly wrong. If anything it's a vindication for my points so thanks for admitting that.

I want Kenny to succeed, but it's the weakest pool of players he has to to work with since the 1980s. Doherty, Egan and Coleman are the only established premier league players playing regularly every week and they are all defenders. Unfortunately Doherty & Coleman play in the same position. I refuse to include Jeff Hendrick as he offers nothing in an Ireland jersey. He should be a leader of the team with his experience but instead you only notice him on the pitch when he makes a mistake.

The U21 players might make a difference, but by the time they gain enough experience Kenny will probably have been sacked.

Beat by Iceland and struggled to beat Luxembourg

To be fair, that U21 team was gutted towards the end of the qualifying campaign. Had all players been allowed to remain at U21 level they almost certainly would have qualified for the finals, and would have gone down as the most successful Irish side ever at that grade. There is significant potential to come through from this age group, but there are a lot of pitfalls between potential and delivery.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seafoid

The BIG had the oldest team at the 2016 Euros. There was virtually nobody coming through
Sports teams really struggle in such a scenario. Ask Kilkenny hurlers. Or Man Utd.

The goal scoring problem goes back further than Kenny as well...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-mick-mccarthy-ii-was-no-blockbuster-more-of-a-flop-1.4221441

"Through autumn and early winter, Ireland faced Switzerland, then Georgia, then Switzerland, then Denmark – each time failing to win, yet clinging on to a chance of making it thanks to the forgiving structure of the qualification process for a 24-team Euros. As Ireland's position deteriorated with each setback, McCarthy kept insisting he'd gladly have settled for this situation at the start of the group."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2020, 10:15:52 AM
The BIG had the oldest team at the 2016 Euros. There was virtually nobody coming through
Sports teams really struggle in such a scenario. Ask Kilkenny hurlers. Or Man Utd.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ken-early-mick-mccarthy-ii-was-no-blockbuster-more-of-a-flop-1.4221441

"Through autumn and early winter, Ireland faced Switzerland, then Georgia, then Switzerland, then Denmark – each time failing to win, yet clinging on to a chance of making it thanks to the forgiving structure of the qualification process for a 24-team Euros. As Ireland's position deteriorated with each setback, McCarthy kept insisting he'd gladly have settled for this situation at the start of the group."

If only Ireland were ever a Kilkenny hurlers or a Man United...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 19, 2020, 10:22:24 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2020, 10:15:52 AM

If only Ireland were ever a Kilkenny hurlers or a Man United...

The analogy holds in that both sides came to the end of a cycle and rebuilt. And the fans dealt with it. The Best Fans in the World (tm) seem to be demanding better football, but don't have the patience for a transition. Which is an academic paper waiting to be write.

macdanger2

I see NI got relegated to NL C last night - while it seems a little ignominious on the face of it, surely that gives them a great chance of qualifying for the WC i.e. by winning League C? Or is that not the way it works? 

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 19, 2020, 12:36:37 PM
I see NI got relegated to NL C last night - while it seems a little ignominious on the face of it, surely that gives them a great chance of qualifying for the WC i.e. by winning League C? Or is that not the way it works?

It wont affect the next wc it will be the next euros if they fail to qualify from their group then they will have a playoff with 3 from the likes of albania, georgia etc for a place in euro 2024.
So Kenny even managed to f*ck that up for the republic lol

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 18, 2020, 11:31:03 PM
Pots for the World Cup qualifying draw.

Denmark, Wales, Georgia, Cyprus and Gibraltar, haven't really played them enough of late.

shark

Unless Ireland draw Slovakia or Romania then I can't see a second place finish being realistic. Denmark are surely the best pot 1 draw - as boring as that would be.

BennyCake

Ireland would need to do what Lawrie Sanchez did with Norn Iron a few years ago. They hadn't scored in 24 years or something, and he took them to the Caribbean to play the likes of Monserrat, St Kitts and Devils Island. They managed a few goals, and the odd win, and got the confidence up a bit. Over the next year or two, their performances improved.

Although it's not a great time for that sort of travel. Tory Island and Achill will have to do.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2020, 05:43:33 PM
Ireland would need to do what Lawrie Sanchez did with Norn Iron a few years ago. They hadn't scored in 24 years or something, and he took them to the Caribbean to play the likes of Monserrat, St Kitts and Devils Island. They managed a few goals, and the odd win, and got the confidence up a bit. Over the next year or two, their performances improved.

Although it's not a great time for that sort of travel. Tory Island and Achill will have to do.

Yes, every game we have played have been against our equals, slightly better or slightly worse. We need exactly that.