FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Alex Ferguson, some you eejits would want to read this and ask yourselves if you applied your logic on Stephen Kenny to Alex Ferguson, how many trophies would Man Utd have won...

Ferguson was appointed manager at Old Trafford on 6 November 1986. He was initially worried that many of the players, such as Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson were drinking too much and was "depressed" by their level of fitness, but he managed to increase the players' discipline and United climbed up the table to finish the season in 11th place, having been 21st (second from bottom) when he took over.

His first game in charge was a 2–0 defeat at Oxford United on 8 November, followed seven days later by a goalless draw at newly promoted Norwich City, and then his first win (1–0 at home to Queens Park Rangers) on 22 November. Results steadily improved as the season went on, and by the time they recorded what would be their only away win of the league campaign at title challengers and deadly rivals Liverpool on Boxing Day, it was clear that United were on the road to recovery. 1987 began on a high note with a 4–1 victory over Newcastle United and United gradually pulled together in the second half of the season, with relatively occasional defeats on the way, and finished 11th in the final table. Ferguson's mother Elizabeth died of lung cancer, aged 64, three weeks after his appointment. Ferguson hired Archie Knox, his assistant at Aberdeen, in the same role at Manchester United in 1986.

In the 1987–88 season, Ferguson made several major signings, including Steve Bruce, Viv Anderson, Brian McClair and Jim Leighton. The new players made a great contribution to a United team who finished in second place, nine points behind Liverpool. Liverpool's points lead, however, had been in double digits for most of the season and while United had lost only five league games all season, they drew 12 games and there was clearly still some way to go before United could be a match for their north western rivals.

During the season, United played two friendly matches in Bermuda against the Bermuda national team and the Somerset Cricket Club.[72] In the match against Somerset, both Ferguson himself and his assistant Archie Knox took to the field, with Knox even getting on the scoresheet. The match was Ferguson's only appearance for the Manchester United first team.[72]

United were expected to do well when Mark Hughes returned to the club two years after leaving for Barcelona, but the 1988–89 season was a disappointment for them, finishing 11th in the league and losing 1–0 at home to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup sixth round. They had begun the season slowly, going on a nine-match winless run throughout October and November (with one defeat and eight draws) before a run of generally good results took them to third place and the fringes of the title challenge by mid February. However, another run of disappointing results in the final quarter of the season saw them fall down to mid-table.

For the 1989–90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb, Mike Phelan, and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister and winger Danny Wallace. The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[73][74] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.[75][76]

Following a run of seven games without a win, Manchester United were drawn away to Nottingham Forest in the third round of the FA Cup. Forest were performing well that season and were in the process of winning the League Cup for the second season running,[77] and it was expected that United would lose the match and Ferguson would consequently be sacked, but United won the game 1–0 due to a Mark Robins goal and eventually reached the final. This cup win is often cited as the match that saved Ferguson's Old Trafford career, even though it has since been stated that his job was never at risk.[77][78][79] United went on to win the FA Cup, beating Crystal Palace 1–0 in the final replay after a 3–3 draw in the first match, giving Ferguson his first major trophy as Manchester United manager. United's defensive frailties in the first match were unilaterally blamed on goalkeeper Jim Leighton, forcing Ferguson to drop his former Aberdeen player and bring in Les Sealey.

BennyCake

That's a silly comparison

Ferguson already had success with Aberdeen, winning leagues and Scot Cups and the Euro cup winners cup, beating Real Madrid in the final I think it was.

What did Pat Kenny win before taking the Ireland job? But sure maybe if Ireland stick with him, he'll win the World Cup  ::)

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2020, 02:22:17 PM

Ferguson already had success with Aberdeen, winning leagues and Scot Cups and the Euro cup winners cup, beating Real Madrid in the final I think it was.

What did Pat Kenny win before taking the Ireland job? But sure maybe if Ireland stick with him, he'll win the World Cup  ::)

No the bit in bold is utterly stupid, no manager anywhere can deliver that.

You dont think Stephen Kenny was successful? (more snobbery calling him by a wrong name), Do you feel good about acting which such snobbery to an Irishman. You are no better than a British Tory behaving like that.

general_lee

themac_23

making the same mistakes again, given away chances by trying to play out from the back, imagine we made these mistakes against a decent side

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on November 18, 2020, 04:44:08 PM

No the bit in bold is utterly stupid, no manager anywhere can deliver that.

You dont think Stephen Kenny was successful? (more snobbery calling him by a wrong name), Do you feel good about acting which such snobbery to an Irishman. You are no better than a British Tory behaving like that.

Get off your high horse there itchy.

It was the previous post I was replying to, saying it was silly comparing Kenny to Ferguson. I've nothing against Kenny, but it's the clearly deluded people talking about how great he is and how well he's doing. What is it now? No goals in 7 games? Yeah, he's doing great.

I'm willing to be proved wrong, but I thought he was a very underwhelming appointment, and I see nothing yet to suggest anything other than that.

Baile Brigín 2

Kenny win Leagues snd Cups and had huge European success too.

This can bow reasonably be described as anti Irish now

Captain Obvious

Quote from: themac_23 on November 18, 2020, 08:12:37 PM
making the same mistakes again, given away chances by trying to play out from the back, imagine we made these mistakes against a decent side

Biggest mistake of all is using the same tactics that has resulted in zero shots on target in that 1st half.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 08:28:24 PM

No one wants him sacked tomorrow, but things aren't rosy out on the pitch. It's a results business come qualifier-time. 

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 08:28:24 PM

Aye, anti Irish because I think the job is too big for a man  :o

Was Kenny beating Real Madrid in European finals? Or breaking the long Rangers/Celtic domination in Scotland? The answer would be no.

What's the next accusation for me then?

Itchy

For f**k sake look at the team he has this eve, what are you expecting. Half them probably never met each other before yesterday

An Watcher

Exactly, give the fella a break. New man comes in, long ball football, this is awful, get someone in to knock it about

up the rovers

This match is so bad it is strangely compelling  ;D. Both teams are so bad that i keep expecting one of them to do something awfully stupid to give away a goal. So far Darren Randolph has come closest!

Captain Obvious

The only positive to take out of that is a draw avoided bottom place in the group.   

7 games in a row without a goal and a first time to go a calender year without a win since 1971 says SKY.  Brady had a decent pop shot that came off the crossbar in one of the dullest games I have ever watched.