Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 21, 2011, 12:02:00 PM
If you look at that is isiolation and when you add in all the decisions that went in Man Uniteds favour it's easy to see why Wenger should be placed on suicide watch as Aresnal could conceivably be 10 points clear at the top. But that is the vagaries of sport and impossible to rationalise, for example if Arsenal had won at Sunderland the dynamic of their whole season probably would have changed and none of the subsequent results would have stayed the same, they might have won a couple more but could have lost some tight ones as well.

In essence in sport nothing is black and white and in EPL terms all that matters is the final league table and this season a team epitomising the concept 'sum of the whole is greater than the parts' will win the league. A young side like Arsenal should look and learn from that alas I wouldn't put money on it.

But those this highlighted bit hold water anymore? This arsenal side has been around a while now and all have grown from young players to regular EPL players with CL and internantional experience.

I defo wouldn't class them as a young side who will deliver in the future, that ship has sailed.

muppet

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 20, 2011, 09:23:22 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2011, 09:20:34 PM
What a game. Say what you like about the Arsenal, but they are some entertainment, on both ends of the field. I can't imagine being a fan though.

any fans who are in their forties or over with dodgy tickers must go through the mill in 90 minutes watching them !
are you still with us muppet old mate ?

Balloons!
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Bingo on April 21, 2011, 12:09:13 PM
If you look at that is isiolation and when you add in all the decisions that went in Man Uniteds favour it's easy to see why Wenger should be placed on suicide watch as Aresnal could conceivably be 10 points clear at the top. But that is the vagaries of sport and impossible to rationalise, for example if Arsenal had won at Sunderland the dynamic of their whole season probably would have changed and none of the subsequent results would have stayed the same, they might have won a couple more but could have lost some tight ones as well.

In essence in sport nothing is black and white and in EPL terms all that matters is the final league table and this season a team epitomising the concept 'sum of the whole is greater than the parts' will win the league. A young side like Arsenal should look and learn from that alas I wouldn't put money on it.

But those this highlighted bit hold water anymore? This arsenal side has been around a while now and all have grown from young players to regular EPL players with CL and internantional experience.

I defo wouldn't class them as a young side who will deliver in the future, that ship has sailed.

Chesney Hawkes is 21, Koscielny is 25, Clichy is 25, Djourou is 24, Song, Nasri and Fabregas all 23 and Wlacott 22. Whilshere is only 19 ffs.  Are they not all young men forget about their football experience as adults you only peak physically around 26/27 and mentally they are all young boys still.

For example the champions elect's youngest guranteed starter when all fit and available is Nani who turns 25 this year, even the little Mexican diver is 23 this year. 

So yes are Arsenal are a young side, no one is offering excuses we'll leave that to the Tabloids and the blogs but to deny Arsenal are a young is that they can't learn from defeat is just wrong in my opinion.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 21, 2011, 12:28:29 PM

Chesney Hawkes is 21, Koscielny is 25, Clichy is 25, Djourou is 24, Song, Nasri and Fabregas all 23 and Wlacott 22. Whilshere is only 19 ffs.  Are they not all young men forget about their football experience as adults you only peak physically around 26/27 and mentally they are all young boys still.

For example the champions elect's youngest guranteed starter when all fit and available is Nani who turns 25 this year, even the little Mexican diver is 23 this year. 

So yes are Arsenal are a young side, no one is offering excuses we'll leave that to the Tabloids and the blogs but to deny Arsenal are a young is that they can't learn from defeat is just wrong in my opinion.

Yes but it would be nice if they grew up before I grow old and die.
MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Muppet alas you will die wondering...
#newbridgeornowhere

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 21, 2011, 12:28:29 PM

Who's to say half of these guys will be Arsenal players by the time they peak? Fabregas is certain to go back to Spain & i can't see Nasri sticking around.

United may have an old side now but don't forget they won titles with younger sides than Arsenal.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

QuoteUnited may have an old side now but don't forget they won titles with younger sides than Arsenal.

Which sides were these?
#newbridgeornowhere

Blowitupref

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 21, 2011, 02:46:48 PM
QuoteUnited may have an old side now but don't forget they won titles with younger sides than Arsenal.

Which sides were these?

Not United fan however i do remember Alan Hansen saying you can't win anything with kids & i believe they had a good young side in the 50s?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mrsandman

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 21, 2011, 02:57:12 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 21, 2011, 02:46:48 PM

Which sides were these?

Not United fan however i do remember Alan Hansen saying you can't win anything with kids & i believe they had a good young side in the 50s?

Hansen said that after they got beat by Aston Villa in the first game of the 1995/1996 season, if my memory serves me correctly Gaz & Phil Neville, Becks, Scholes, Butt etc were all 20, giggs was 22, andy cole was 24ish, they were a few others that were young..needless to say they won they title that year and it was with a youngish squad but also included pallister, schmicheal, keane, irwin and cantona fresh from his suspension!
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Dinny Breen

For comparatives you can't include the Busby babes it was a different era you didn't even have subsitutes in those days.

I'm curious as to what the average age of that Man U side in 95/96 was based on memory that team's 1st choice would have had Schmeichael the racist in goals, Irwin, Bruce, Palliaster and G Neville in the defence, Keane, Giggs, Butt and Beckham in midfield and Cantona and Cole up front. Also in the squad you had experienced players such as McClair, Parker, Sharpe proven EPL winners. Arsenal's don't have anything like that experience and I love this one-up man ship always been displayed by Man United fans in particular, Arsenal have a young squad either them or Sunderland have the youngest in the EPL, as aside is no wonder Sunderland are looking relegation in the face. So bottom line Ferguson won the EPL that season with a back-bone of experience players blended with youth, Wenger has no such experience players in the squad of his own making I might add.

So this isn't about Man United, it's about Arsenal's young inexperienced squad that lack leaders and in the natural world you would expect them to learn from this chastising experience.
#newbridgeornowhere

Blowitupref

Dinny your like a man trying to convince yourself that everything will be ok when these lads gets older. the main point in your last post is a good one "lack of leaders" look at the leaders you had in the late 90s & early 00s teams however do you really see any of the current crop developing into those type of players?

Dinny Breen

QuoteA young side like Arsenal should look and learn from that alas I wouldn't put money on it.

QuoteMuppet alas you will die wondering...

Yea really trying to convince myself, I am just pointing that Arsenal are a young side without leaders, many people jump on the annoying bottlers, chokers band-wagon without recognising Arsenal's obvious failings, mental fortitude generally only comes with age. Will this Arsenal side ever mature, personally I believe not because Wenger's policy at the moment is to promote from within so in the summer we will probably see Eboue, Clichy, Almunia, Arshavin and probably 1 of Fabregas/Nasri leave, how he replaces those players is the question.

#newbridgeornowhere

118cmal

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 21, 2011, 03:30:33 PM
For comparatives you can't include the Busby babes it was a different era you didn't even have subsitutes in those days.

I'm curious as to what the average age of that Man U side in 95/96 was based on memory that team's 1st choice would have had Schmeichael the racist in goals, Irwin, Bruce, Palliaster and G Neville in the defence, Keane, Giggs, Butt and Beckham in midfield and Cantona and Cole up front. Also in the squad you had experienced players such as McClair, Parker, Sharpe proven EPL winners. Arsenal's don't have anything like that experience and I love this one-up man ship always been displayed by Man United fans in particular, Arsenal have a young squad either them or Sunderland have the youngest in the EPL, as aside is no wonder Sunderland are looking relegation in the face. So bottom line Ferguson won the EPL that season with a back-bone of experience players blended with youth, Wenger has no such experience players in the squad of his own making I might add.

So this isn't about Man United, it's about Arsenal's young inexperienced squad that lack leaders and in the natural world you would expect them to learn from this chastising experience.

He has Almunia, Sagna, Rosicky, Squillaci, Arshavin who are all experienced.  They're just not good enough.

Minder

Quote from: 118cmal on April 21, 2011, 04:42:51 PM

He has Almunia, Sagna, Rosicky, Squillaci, Arshavin who are all experienced.  They're just not good
enough.

Is this the same Sagna that has just been voted to the EPL team of the year, or a different one?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

118cmal

Quote from: Minder on April 21, 2011, 04:55:48 PM
Quote from: 118cmal on April 21, 2011, 04:42:51 PM

He has Almunia, Sagna, Rosicky, Squillaci, Arshavin who are all experienced.  They're just not good
enough.

Is this the same Sagna that has just been voted to the EPL team of the year, or a different one?

Of course it's the same one.  Can you think of any others?

I shouldn't have included him in the 'not good enough' bracket.

But the others are not.  Almunia and Squillachi are dung, Rosicky is a crock and Arshavin doesn't seem to have the correct mentality.