Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

I love the opinions on this thread that this player is shit or that player is brilliant or Wenger hasn't a clue why does everything have to be the extreme end of the hyperbole spectrum. Are people now afraid to make rational judgements?

Beaten 4-3 on aggregate is not a disgrace, Barca are an exceptional side, maybe the best ever and will go very close to winning the UCL again.

The most disappointing thing as O'Neill has mentioned is that Arsenal didn't have a cut just didn't go for the jugular until it was too late. They defended pretty well I thought but just couldn't retain possession and fair play to Alumnia, kept Arsenal in it.

Wenger will rightly complain about the farcical red card more as a means of deflection and of creating a siege mentality. 

Arsenal don't have the squad to compete on so many fronts so hopefully they'll push on really challenge for the EPL.

My only negative is Clichy, he really can't defend in an organisational sense, always seems to be caught out of position.

#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

The Clichy thing was horrible tonight.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

yea need to get Gibbes in there I think
#newbridgeornowhere

Aaron Boone

And weren't Arsenal only playin Barca cause they finished 2nd in their (handy) group.

ONeill

‎Wenger:

"Surprised Barcelona didn't get one yellow? No. And I won't say more."
‎   
"Would it have been unjust for football a team that didn't shoot on goal would qualify? It wasn't easy for us."

‎   
"I'm convinced we would have qualified if Van Persie hadn't been sent off"

ross4life

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 08, 2011, 10:24:30 PM
And weren't Arsenal only playin Barca cause they finished 2nd in their (handy) group.

Shakhtar Donetsk topped that group & are looking decent, i think the hardest pill to swallow for Arse fan's will be seeing Spurs in the next round.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rocky Mc Guigan

Wee Jack Ham and the lads will need the Wenger arm, or whatever he calls it, around the shoulder before the kick fest that will be Saturday evening at Old Trafford

orangeman

Rough justice when Van Persie got sent off - it was really a huge turning point  -

To be fair, Barcelona outplayed Arsenal over the 2 legs but Arsenal could have still sneaked it at the end, in spite of having been dominated.

Arsenal are about 2 players short of being a great side.

Rocky Mc Guigan

It was backs against forwards before he went off and something very similar after he went off

ONeill

Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2011, 10:29:51 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 08, 2011, 10:24:30 PM

Shakhtar Donetsk topped that group & are looking decent, i think the hardest pill to swallow for Arse fan's will be seeing Spurs in the next round.

Not in the slightest. Arsenal have experienced decades of that over the Spuds. Spurs are still a threat with 10 games to go. If they can prolong their CL involvement for another 3-4 weeks it should finish them off. I'll be sorta cheering them on.

ross4life

VP has done a Fergie on the interview "Ref was a joke he shouldn't be here"
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2011, 10:37:08 PM

No, Fergie stupid enough to do it with the FA.

paco

Quote from: orangeman on March 08, 2011, 10:31:00 PM
Rough justice when Van Persie got sent off - it was really a huge turning point  -

To be fair, Barcelona outplayed Arsenal over the 2 legs but Arsenal could have still sneaked it at the end, in spite of having been dominated.

Arsenal are about 2 players short of being a great side.

Definitely. Arsenal were really coming into the game at that stage and threatening heavily, they even managed to get out of their own half once or twice.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on March 08, 2011, 10:38:27 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 08, 2011, 10:37:08 PM

No, Fergie stupid enough to do it with the FA.

So UEFA will turn a blind eye?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 08, 2011, 10:16:53 PM
I love the opinions on this thread that this player is shit or that player is brilliant or Wenger hasn't a clue why does everything have to be the extreme end of the hyperbole spectrum. Are people now afraid to make rational judgements?

Beaten 4-3 on aggregate is not a disgrace, Barca are an exceptional side, maybe the best ever and will go very close to winning the UCL again.

The most disappointing thing as O'Neill has mentioned is that Arsenal didn't have a cut just didn't go for the jugular until it was too late. They defended pretty well I thought but just couldn't retain possession and fair play to Alumnia, kept Arsenal in it.

Wenger will rightly complain about the farcical red card more as a means of deflection and of creating a siege mentality. 

Arsenal don't have the squad to compete on so many fronts so hopefully they'll push on really challenge for the EPL.

My only negative is Clichy, he really can't defend in an organisational sense, always seems to be caught out of position.
Do you really think Hill-Wood and the rest of the board will continue to accept Arsenal being nearly men? It's years since Arsenal have won anything of note.