Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Really hate to speak too soon but fabianski is turning into the real deal for me.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

So is Wenger justified resting the 8 v Wigan? Now looks like a gamble that just fell short.

Some nice football between Nasri and Fabregas tonight. Song makes things a little more stable.

Fairly taught Fergie and Utd a lesson on how to win at St Andrews.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

QuoteSo is Wenger justified resting the 8 v Wigan? Now looks like a gamble that just fell short.

Absolutely, Arsenal looked fresh and hungry, Birmingham tired and irritable, no other side has had 3 games in 6 days. So 2 wins and a draw is actually 6 points more than compared to the same fixtures last season and a good weeks work.

Should have won 5 or 6-0 Birmingham are an awful side and are set up not to lose and Bowyer/Thomas and Johnson all lucky not to see red.

Agree with Puckoon Fabanski is looking better and better with each game and is obviously gaining in confidence from an extended run, hopefully the fish will be sold in January.

I think Wenger has probably now has his first XI with only TV missing with Arshavin/Walcott inter-changeable and Diaby,Gibbes, Koscielny and Chamakh putting players under pressure. Rosicky, Bendtner, Squillaci and Denilson all good squad players. Ramsey will strengthen the midfield options on his return. 
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Dinny - thanks for the earlier reply. On the United thread you won't see many (well maybe one) singing the praises of the United midfield!

In a "normal" season I'd be very confident that United would see off the Others and take the title. Arsenal have a suspect back and have no experience of a close title run in. Man City side are too reliant on one player, play a bit too negatively and have no experience of contending for anything. Chelsea have all the experience, their best players coming back but I'd normally expect United not to drop 7 more points than them in the second half of the season. However, United are not the animal they've been for most of the last 18 years or so and crucially, other teams seem to know this. You rightly point out that its Ferguson's management alone that has United where they are but if they get hit with one or two more injuries United could be goosed.

All in all I think any of the four teams I've mentioned can win it (don't think Spurs can win playing badly but as good as anyone on their day). United are in a good position but have a tougher second half than the first was so the points in the bank could evaporate easily. Will some team(s) take off in the second half of the season or will 81 points win it?

ONeill

I find it staggering the way Utd fans underestimate their midfield. They may lack flair but they have a combination of every other quality needed. Carrick may not be at the same level as 2 years ago but he quietly does everything asked of him. Completes most passes, involved defensively and in attack, Utd are poorer without him. Unfortunately a high percentage of their fans don't seem to realise that. Fergie's no mug though.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on January 02, 2011, 02:03:20 PM
I find it staggering the way Utd fans underestimate their midfield. They may lack flair but they have a combination of every other quality needed. Carrick may not be at the same level as 2 years ago but he quietly does everything asked of him. Completes most passes, involved defensively and in attack, Utd are poorer without him. Unfortunately a high percentage of their fans don't seem to realise that. Ferries' no mug though.

Yourself and Ross4life are in agreement on that.

Dinny Breen

O'Neill I know where you're coming from but Man United's midfield is purely functional compared to previous reincarnations and lack creativity when Scholes is not playing. When I think of midfield play in England the benchmark will always be Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham. In the years after that they had the majestic play of Ronaldo, so it's a pretty high benchmark and their current lot just don't live up to those standards.

Watching Chelsea v Villa at the moment and they've lost something, just doesn't seem to be the same hunger, definitely heading towards a transition period (something only Ferguson has truly managed with success and Wenger if he claims the EPL).

It's a funny league this year but all the more enjoyable, the quality has dropped but Man United have an amazing belief that just carries them from game to game but I think that belief will be tested when they actually lose a game, the longer that goes on there will only be one winner but they have away games against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the Spuds (this is the key game imho, Spurs are flying playing the best football, a win there for Spurs will really open up the league, I rate this Spurs side and they have a great team spirit and with VDV and Assou-Ekotto they have two of the players of the season, bring in Beckham and they now have added a little bit of experience and more hype (a dangerous thing but can be beneficial).

Man City - will revert to type under Mancini and will drop too many points from negative play, bet your bottom dollar they will arrive at Ashburton set-up for a draw.

Arsenal are the dark horses, suspect defence but not suspect as many lazy pundits think especially with TV to come back, if Arsenal win the Carling Cup it might just propel them to greater things...
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 02, 2011, 02:35:08 PM
O'Neill I know where you're coming from but Man United's midfield is purely functional compared to previous reincarnations and lack creativity when Scholes is not playing. When I think of midfield play in England the benchmark will always be Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham. In the years after that they had the majestic play of Ronaldo, so it's a pretty high benchmark and their current lot just don't live up to those standards.

That's the problem there! trying to compare United's midfield or any other with the above mentioned.

& do agree with O'Neill (no surprise) that United's current midfield lack Flair but have guile & winners though yesterday they were absolutely woeful!
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Norf Tyrone

Some fair, and mature analysis on this thread!

For the record, yesterday's win v Brum is probably more telling than the win against Chelsea in my opinion. Arsenal showing a bit of balls at last, which is what cost them in the past!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gaffer

If you were to ask me now, CL or Premiership, it would be the Prem hands down.

Being put out by Barca wont be a bad thing in my view as we can go for the Premiership head on.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 02, 2011, 02:35:08 PM

I don't see why that comparison needs to be made. If you're thinking of in terms of flair and attacking tendencies this year's model don't match up but in the case of workrate and efficiency, the class of Carrick/Fletcher/Park/Anderson/Scholes are unrivalled. Maybe it says more about Arsenal but the Gunners' old midfield stood toe-to-toe with the Utd midfield. The Fletcher brigade have Arsenal's number every time. Also, Utd's start to the league is unprecedented in their own history. Near the top of the scoring charts, near the bottom of goals conceded, unbeaten - they're no mugs.

ONeill

under the bar

QuoteWhen I think of midfield play in England the benchmark will always be Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham.

Never mind England it's hard to think of many better midfield 4 in the world.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI don't see why that comparison needs to be made

Because that is Man United's legacy, same way many call for Wenger's head...

United position is in term's of natural footballing ability is unfathomable imho, but when you consider their culture and their manager it's easy to understand but I still believe that the current midfield options are more reflected in the West Brom performance than the Arsenal victory, those guys just can't perform away from OT.
#newbridgeornowhere