Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on April 01, 2010, 03:51:07 PM
Quote from: GBXII on April 01, 2010, 02:27:01 PM
It was a clear penalty and obvious what Puyol was doing. He knew he couldn't get to the ball before Fabregas so he put his body right in front of where Fabregas was swinging. Clumsy challenge which deserved a penalty but a red is very harsh. Sometimes I wonder if Ray Houghton has actually played football before...
What you describe is called obstruction. The physical contact was made by Fabregas not by Puyol. Even if Puyol, as you claim, deliberately placed himself in the line of fire it is not a penalty, it is an indirect free kick, even if the infringement happens in the box.
The ref appears to have given a penalty for what he though was a deliberate foul, hence the red card.

Anyway imo, it was typical piece of excellent defending by Puyol which when viewed from another angle (the refs) looked very illegal.

Puyol hooked him. Great in hurling, not so sure about soccer.

Also if Cesc's leg is broken it was quite an achievement to score a penalty with it.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

It's a peno in my opinion. Fabregas starts to swing his leg. Puyol walks in front of him as he's swinging at the ball and blocks his swing. You can't do that.

If it happened out the field (as it often does where the man trying to play the ball kicks a lad coming in from the side) it's a free kick 99/100.

No different in the box. If Puyol was making an attempt to play the ball instead of just blocking Fabregas' swing ,then it probably wouldn't be a peno.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Feck it anyway, slim hopes of EPL gone and even slimmer hopes of UCL gone as well. Still a season of promise and the Gooners now need to kick on and heed the lessons of Liverpool from last year.
#newbridgeornowhere

Doogie Browser

Can't understand why Wenger did not buy a centre half in January (lack of decent one perhaps?). He clearly had no confidence in Campbell/Silvestre to do a job last night - which is fair enough, but if Arsenal had have strengthened in a couple of key positions rather than rely on kids/old pros they could have had some silverware. 

Main Street

If Fabregas had control of the ball you might have a case for an indirect free kick
The Catalan maestro Puyol, is perfectly entitled to be in that position.

The second replay at 36 seconds shows beyond doubt that the ball was anybodies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJizvW9zdow

Minder

Dunno if it has been mentioned, but f**k Henry is finished. He makes Dirk Kuyt look quite pacey.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Billy Gallas and Arshavin both out for at least 3 weeks.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

guevara

Henry has made the same mistake  Flamini, Hleb, Reyes, Adebayor, Toure & Edu made in that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.
Yes Henry won the Champions League with Barca but at Arsenal Thierry was their main man. He gave that up to become a bit part player like the rest of the guys named.
How many of the players that Wenger lets go honestly better themselves??
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: GBXII on April 01, 2010, 02:27:01 PM
It was a clear penalty and obvious what Puyol was doing. He knew he couldn't get to the ball before Fabregas so he put his body right in front of where Fabregas was swinging. Clumsy challenge which deserved a penalty but a red is very harsh. Sometimes I wonder if Ray Houghton has actually played football before...

Dunno...is getting your body between your opponent and the ball a foul...for me no. :-\
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

nrico2006

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 01, 2010, 05:12:35 PM
Feck it anyway, slim hopes of EPL gone and even slimmer hopes of UCL gone as well. Still a season of promise and the Gooners now need to kick on and heed the lessons of Liverpool from last year.

A season of promise?  If anything, Arsenal have gone backwards.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

QuoteA season of promise?  If anything, Arsenal have gone backwards.

How do work you that out? Still not out of the league and will probably finish 2nd all without RVP and long stretches with Fab, the new Michael Laudrup and Billy Gallas..where as last season they were a poor 4th.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

The point is considering the injuries  they actually have progressed in the league which means the squad is getting stronger which is essence is an example of a team moving forward and certainly not backwards.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Quote from: guevara on April 02, 2010, 08:48:04 AM

How many of the players that Wenger lets go honestly better themselves??
Not Henry ;D

That Nasri looks a damn good player and a good buy for £12m