Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Broken leg for Fabregas? On BBC.

Puckoon

orangeman

No penalty and therefore no sending off.

Bad news about Fabregas if true.

I expect Barca to go through.

Commentators said at half time that it was 0-0 in an absolute rout for Barca.

tyroneman

Giles was quite vehement that Arsenal have no 'moral courage'. Basically said they only started playing when they thought the fame was lost and when Barca had become complacent.

Daylight robbery it has to be said. 

AFS

Quote from: Puckoon on March 31, 2010, 11:24:08 PM
Nothing online. :(

Quote"I am not good," said Fabregas, who left Emirates Stadium on crutches. "We have to wait for tomorrow, but I hope I can wear the Arsenal shirt again this season.

"I fear the worst, which is that I have broken something. I do not think it is going to be good news, but still I hope there will be."

"When I took the penalty, I was quite strong, but after when I went to get the ball, I could not walk any more. It is the fibula. I think I put my leg between Puyol's when I was fouled, and kicked it."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article7083675.ece

Declan

Great spectacle and a very enjoyable game. Barca destroyed them but took their foot of the pedal. Arsenal blessed to get a draw and it was never a penalty. Think Barca will win comfortably at home

Overthebar!

Quote from: Declan on April 01, 2010, 08:52:04 AM
Great spectacle and a very enjoyable game. Barca destroyed them but took their foot of the pedal. Arsenal blessed to get a draw and it was never a penalty. Think Barca will win comfortably at home

how was it not a penalty? i am not sure if it warranted a red card but it was a clear cut penalty
can't see arsenal going through....

Doogie Browser

Almunia has proven again that Goalkeeper is the worst position to play in, possibly the best 45mins of his career in the 1st half and he was quite possibly at fault (or at least could have done a lot better) for the 2 goals.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: screenexile on March 31, 2010, 10:24:38 PM
How can it be argued that it wasn't a penalty??!! A clear goal scoring opportunity was stopped by Puyol who didn't get the ball.

That's the rule for a red card not a penalty.  The question is, was it a foul??  I don't think so.  Fabregas seeemd to make contact with Puyol rather than the other way round.  Strange game.  Arsenal were handed their arse on a plate for 60 mins yet scraped a draw.  Bit harsh to blame Almunia for the 2nd goal, sweet strike by Ibrahimovic.  3-0 Barca next week.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Declan

Quotehow was it not a penalty

Because Fabregas kicked Puyol and then fell over

orangeman

Quote from: Declan on April 01, 2010, 01:57:43 PM
Quotehow was it not a penalty

Because Fabregas kicked Puyol and then fell over
[/b]

That's how it looked to me. Puyol got there to put his body in the way of the ball.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Great game, thought it was one of the best matches I've ever seen. Barca were as good as you could inagine for the first 70 minutes but Arsenal showed great courage to make it an exciting finish. Didn't think it was a penalty it makes a match of the 2nd leg. Fabregas looks like he's out for the season.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

guevara

In my opinion it was a clear cut penalty. Puyol knew exactly what he was doing & instead of trying to play the ball he deliberately tried to prevent Fabregas scoring.
Barca destroyed Arsenal in the first 40 mins but showed little end product for such domination.
Almunia was sensational but ultimately he cost Arsenal another goal in a rush of blood moment.
Wenger seems to persist with guys everyone else writes off & although he is fabulous manager I think guys like Almunia, Senderos, Bendtner & Jeffers wouldnt have got near other teams & ultimately he is too loyal.

Both goals were Song's fault as he failed to mark Ibrahimovich & allowed him to make the same run twice & score.
Campbell should have been brought on for Gallas & I think the goals may have been prevented.

The only way Arsenal were ever going to get back into the game was by pegging back the Barca full backs & when both were attacked by Nasri & Walcott Barca collapsed!
Bendtner isnt a good enough finisher & wasted numerous chances & ultimately these misses may cost Wenger dear.
In the Nou Camp Wenger needs to be brave & go with an attacking team because as Barca have shown if you invite them on they will cut through you at will.
The only way to beat them is attack just as much as they do & go toe to toe with them. They are poor defensively & Arsenal proved this soft underbelly once they had nothing to lose & finally started playing the brilliant attacking football they are capable of
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

GBXII

It was a clear penalty and obvious what Puyol was doing. He knew he couldn't get to the ball before Fabregas so he put his body right in front of where Fabregas was swinging. Clumsy challenge which deserved a penalty but a red is very harsh. Sometimes I wonder if Ray Houghton has actually played football before...

Main Street

Quote from: GBXII on April 01, 2010, 02:27:01 PM
It was a clear penalty and obvious what Puyol was doing. He knew he couldn't get to the ball before Fabregas so he put his body right in front of where Fabregas was swinging. Clumsy challenge which deserved a penalty but a red is very harsh. Sometimes I wonder if Ray Houghton has actually played football before...
What you describe is called obstruction. The physical contact was made by Fabregas not by Puyol. Even if Puyol, as you claim, deliberately placed himself in the line of fire it is not a penalty, it is an indirect free kick, even if the infringement happens in the box.
The ref appears to have given a penalty for what he though was a deliberate foul, hence the red card.

Anyway imo, it was typical piece of excellent defending by Puyol which when viewed from another angle (the refs) looked very illegal.